No announcement yet.

New Bowhuntress!!! Need Tips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archery and Bowhunting are incredible activities and often become addicting. Good for you for getting your feet wet! Not sure where you are but Texas Archery Academy offers a Bowhunting University.

Be a bowhunter by Fall, TPWD’s video series: Intro     https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/TXPWD/bulletins/296302a May       https://content...

Don't worry about sitting still. Don't worry about your setup. Don't worry about missing.
    Just get out there and you will have so much fun while you learn!!!

Comment

Welcome !
      Lots of good advise. .....practice

Comment

First off, welcome to the fire.
        Second... Well... I guess they all covered it! Practice!

Comment

Welcome to the fire... Practice and get confident in your equipment/yourself. Then start letting the air out of things!

Comment

Welcome to your newest/most expensive addiction.

Getting started with all of this can be daunting. Between tuning archery equipment and hunting tactics you can get a slight overload. Don't let yourself think you have to be the best right from the get-go. Take your time to read through the equipment/tuning section to figure out just how to get yourself shooting better and build your confidence as much as you can. I have noticed over my short 6 years of bowhunting that confidence goes a long way both on the range and in the woods. Practice and build confidence on the range and do not be afraid to make mistakes in the woods. Busting a deer going to your stand isn't the end of the world. Letting a deer walk because you aren't comfortable with the shot is not only a better choice than rushing a shot, but a choice even seasoned hunters have a hard time making.

Above all else, have fun. If it gets to a point you do not enjoy it, start back at the basics and you will never lose that feeling you get when you see the first deer of the season walk out in front of you.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhuntress View Post
              So, I just got my first bow in February of this year and it's officially bow season in my neck of the woods!! I couldn't be more excited!!
              With that being said, I would love any tips and tricks you can provide! Starting with hunter safety courses, how to stay still in the stand lol, apps to use to make sure I dont get lost and can find my stand, ect!
              Well in Grayson County the best thing to do is just show me where your stand is and I will volunteer to show you the ropes .

Kidding aside just have fun and practice. As for apps. Well Madden Mobile or Sniper 3d are my go to.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                Well in Grayson County the best thing to do is just show me where your stand is and I will volunteer to show you the ropes

Yes...Yes... Maybe observation would be the best way to learn! Where in Grayson

Comment

Welcome to the fire also wear a safety harness when up in a tree . Good luck .

Comment

Welcome to the fire! Try HuntStand LIte . Its the GPS app I use. Good luck out there and have fun.

Comment

Well I agree with these fellers practice to have confidence in your self and your equipment. Practice shooting how you will shoot on stand or in the blind sitting angling up or down. Practice being still haha. I have a hard time with it to try to make a game out of it with yourself on how slow you can move your head to look around etc.. no quick sudden movements. Practice shooting at different ranges. Practice far shots they make short shots chip shots. Aim small miss small.

Shooting drills are good also. Get close to the target so you wont miss it and draw back and hold it back and hold you point of aim as long as you can before shooting. It strengthens as well as helps you to hold your aim longer. Also draw then go threw a mental check list of proper form making sure you are in perfect form then shoot.

Scent control and playing the wind right will be big.

Tons of apps just I use Hunt Stand and SL Hunting. I have used reflective thumbtacks for going to the stand in the dark or colorful duct tape on trees to mark a path to the stand instead of marking tape/flag/ribbon so its not lopping around in the wind.

Proper shot placement!
                      http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com Take a look at what a whitetail deer's ribs, spine, heart, lungs and liver look like with this incredible video. Wisconsin ...

Good method of sighting in your bow.

Comment

First off welcome. I may be reiterating a lot of things already said, but here goes.
                        First off confidence is key. Confidence in your equipment and your ability with your equipment is the single most important thing you can have. Knowing your limitations and sticking to them during hunting situations. The way you gain more confidence is to push yourself during non hunting situations. Practice how you would hunt but also push yourself in practice. I found so much confidence when I was uncomfortable shooting at 50 but did it anyways, now I regularly step out to 70 yards.
                        Being still is or could be probably one of of the hardest things for a lot of us. I mean staying truly still. Several ways to combat that would be to A) sit in a ground blind. B) get a really comfortable stand. C) if your hunting out of a tree, get high. the higher you are the more forgiving it can be. With C) be mindful of your shooting angles though.
                        Bow hunting is for a lot of hunters a learning experience. It has been for me. Going from a rifle hunters mentality to bow hunting has made me all around a better hunter. Most importantly when you watch the sun come up, sitting in the stand, thank God that you get another day and soak it all in. Have fun!!

Comment

You stay still in the stand by ensuring you're comfortable.

Good chair or stand to sit in.

If you're in a stand, wear your safety harness. If you don't have one, get one.

Layers for cold weather, and remember anything made of cotton loses its insulation value once it get's wet. So, get some merino wool socks. Cold feet will ruin a hunt.

Rubber insulated boot.

Apps on the phone are ok, but pack a compass and put a map in your pack.

As for as Apps go, GPS Hunt is a good one, but a real GPS and compass are better.

Comment

Welcome to the bonfire !

Comment

Welcome to the fire!

Aim small miss small, if hunting from a tree blind remember to bend at waist don't just pull your bow down changes impact and you'll miss high every time. Also aim low.

Oh ya and remember every animal no matter how big or what it is is a trophy with a bow!
                              Last edited by Kurdawg; 10-06-2015, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhuntress View Post
                                So, I just got my first bow in February of this year and it's officially bow season in my neck of the woods!! I couldn't be more excited!!
                                With that being said, I would love any tips and tricks you can provide! Starting with hunter safety courses, how to stay still in the stand lol, apps to use to make sure I dont get lost and can find my stand, ect!
                                Aim small miss small. In other words pick a spot the size of a dime if you can see well enough. Be patient and wait for the perfect shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X