Platform for my bow blind, on skids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a new blind this year and wanted to put this one on a platform so the mice and snake don't call it home. I like hunting on the ground so it will not be elevated much, 6" or so. Also toyed with the idea of wheel or skid, I am going with skids mainly it is cheaper. It is going to be 72"x78" so I will have a bit of overhang. Just picked up some steel today and started to lay it out. Making it out of 2" square tubing and 2" angle iron, so it should hold up.

This is what I have so far, going to run 3 more cross pieces to support the plywood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Skids are a great idea. Can’t wait to see the end product.

Comment

Working on it today, dont nash my welds, they are terrible. Wire welded needs help and I am using 1970's sears stick welder

Comment

IN

I think you will like the Maverick blind. My platform is 7’x8’ and about 30” tall. Still need to brush it in on next trip.
        Last edited by RascalArms; 08-20-2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
          IN

I think you will like the Maverick blind. My platform is 7’x8’ and about 30” tall. Still need to brush it in on next trip.
          Looks good, yea I like them this is my 2nd one. The other one doesn't have a platform, just layed a couple stall mats down and sat the blind down

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech32 View Post
            Looks good, yea I like them this is my 2nd one. The other one doesn't have a platform, just layed a couple stall mats down and sat the blind down
            That’s what most of the guys on our lease do as well. No platform at all. I think we have 12 or 13 total Maverick blinds between us.

Comment

About done for today, did not get as much done as I would like. The skids are just setting there, need to put done another support in the middle and bend the ends of the skids

Comment

That should work pretty good. Will be nice to get it off the ground a hair and make it somewhat mobile. Deer wont care what your welds look like.......

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                  That should work pretty good. Will be nice to get it off the ground a hair and make it somewhat mobile. Deer wont care what your welds look like.......
                  I should be able to pull this around with ease with the 4 wheeler.

Comment

If I might give you a bit of advice you need to make your skids more like runners . I can pull my feeder with my 700 grizzly but even those skids are not rolled up far enough .. If you want to more it around a wider skid and rolled up at least 6 inches , does not look like that will be long enough , you could always just weld a longer piece onto the front

If you do not make them tall enough it will caught on every thing and more than likely dig in on the first little dip you come across .

having built a few that we have towed we learned along the way

Ice shanty skids come to mind snowmobile skies etc

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                        If I might give you a bit of advice you need to make your skids more like runners . I can pull my feeder with my 700 grizzly but even those skids are not rolled up far enough .. If you want to more it around a wider skid and rolled up at least 6 inches , does not look like that will be long enough , you could always just weld a longer piece onto the front

If you do not make them tall enough it will caught on every thing and more than likely dig in on the first little dip you come across .

having built a few that we have towed we learned along the way

Ice shanty skids come to mind snowmobile skies etc
                        http://icetrekfishhouses.com/why-ice-trek/
                        Thank you sir, I was planning on 4" on each end with a 45 degree angle. With this info I may offset have 6" in the front and leave 2" in the rear. Really only need a liye I. The rear anyway to move in position once it it is out to the location.

Comment

Fixed my wire welder, tired of the stick. Need to go around and finish the patch ups, paint and cut some plywood.

Comment

Looks awesome. I wish I could weld lol. Projects like that make me want to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So... you do know that mice and snakes can climb a ladder/stairs right?

Looks good.

Comment

Working...
                              X