Bathroom remodeling recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathroom remodeling recommendations

My wife and I want to remodel our bathroom. Currently it has his/hers closets with a small stand-up shower between them. We are going to take over one of the adjoining bedrooms as a large walk-in closet. Then remove the bathroom closets to add a large tub and walk-in shower.

I’m hoping to get some recommendations on things that y’all say would be worth having. Basically the only limitation is it will be 15’ wide and roughly 6’ deep.

What are some things we should consider?

Ask for and call several references for your contractor.

Whatever timeline the contractor provides, double it.

Whatever cost estimate you receive, add 50%.

I realize none these are fitting responses to your question, but send me a note once this marriage-testing project is complete and let me if I was wrong.

Comment

That's a real big bathtub....you will need a water heater just for that.

Comment

Make sure you add a long workbench in the walk-in shower...[emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post

I realize none these are fitting responses to your question, but send me a note once this marriage-testing project is complete and let me if I was wrong.
          This is 100% accurate. If you quadruple the timeline you may not need to add money to the cost estimate but you will probably need to quadruple the estimate to meet the timeline.

We have rehabbed 6 houses in the past 7 years to varying degrees. Some I never lived in.

We are currently almost through??? maybe?? With number 7 and it will likely be my last for a very, very, very long time.

It is a NIGHTMARE. A HOT, ARGUMENT INDUCING, PATIENCE TESTING, NIGHTMARE.

Good luck with yours, I am sure everything will go smooth and you will find contractors pleasant people that are not money hungry or slow at all! lol.

What I am saying is this. I would rather bath in my backyard with a water hose. Instead of going through with another remodel. The ONLY REASON i do it is because I like to sell my houses fast and for more money than I paid. In my experience the pain of the remodel WAY over shadows the pleasure of use. If you are looking to sell and believe this will add value I commend you. If you are looking to stay and think this will add years of extra comfort I don't think so.
          Last edited by BuckSmasher; 08-06-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
            ...you will find contractors pleasant people that are not money hungry or slow at all!
            So true...LMAO wisdom, right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post

Haha I have been through that. I plan on doing most of this myself and maybe paying someone to do just the tile-work. So that will probably double the time it should take.

Originally posted by JayB View Post
              That's a real big bathtub....you will need a water heater just for that.
              Lol I want to be able to do laps in it if I want.

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
              Make sure you add a long workbench in the walk-in shower...[emoji6]
              I definitely like the way you think.

This is 100% accurate. If you quadruple the timeline you may not need to add money to the cost estimate but you will probably need to quadruple the estimate to meet the timeline.

We have rehabbed 6 houses in the past 7 years to varying degrees. Some I never lived in.

We are currently almost through??? maybe?? With number 7 and it will likely be my last for a very, very, very long time.

It is a NIGHTMARE. A HOT, ARGUMENT INDUCING, PATIENCE TESTING, NIGHTMARE.

Good luck with yours, I am sure everything will go smooth and you will find contractors pleasant people that are not money hungry or slow at all! lol.

What I am saying is this. I would rather bath in my backyard with a water hose. Instead of going through with another remodel. The ONLY REASON i do it is because I like to sell my houses fast and for more money than I paid. In my experience the pain of the remodel WAY over shadows the pleasure of use. If you are looking to sell and believe this will add value I commend you. If you are looking to stay and think this will add years of extra comfort I don't think so.
              We plan on living in this house for the next 15-20 years. I’ve already done most of the major remodeling and know I probably won’t get my money back on this. I just want it for enjoyment while I still can.

Comment

For reference this is a crude, not to scale layout of the bathroom as it sits now.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                  Haha I have been through that. I plan on doing most of this myself and maybe paying someone to do just the tile-work. So that will probably double the time it should take.

Lol I want to be able to do laps in it if I want.

I definitely like the way you think.

We plan on living in this house for the next 15-20 years. I’ve already done most of the major remodeling and know I probably won’t get my money back on this. I just want it for enjoyment while I still can.
                  Ok, fair enough. I think you may be having more fun in your shower than I have in mine, I just use it to get clean.

At least with the bedroom you are cannabalizing your house will still have more than two, right?

Comment

Ok, fair enough. I think you may be having more fun in your shower than I have in mine, I just use it to get clean.

At least with the bedroom you are cannabalizing your house will still have more than two, right?
                    Lol I need extra room for all of my wife’s soap and shampoo.

Yeah we will still have 4 bedrooms after we take the other one over

Comment

There is nothing cheap that occurs in the bathroom when ur talking remodel. Don't skimp on shower size or frameless glass door. One thing we did that helped was the surface mount shower tower.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Line all the studs around the shower with plastic before you put up the cement board. It will save you headaches if you get a water leak in the shower or tub area. I would go with a cultured marble shower enclosure. No leaks like you can get with a tile shower. Ask me how I know about plastic and leaks with a tile shower!��

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                          There is nothing cheap that occurs in the bathroom when ur talking remodel. Don't skimp on shower size or frameless glass door. One thing we did that helped was the surface mount shower tower.

I would go doorless and glassless. We just did because we were tired of wiping it down/worrying about hard water.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post

Unless something changes the shower will be about 8’ x 6’. I want to have it where there is no doors or glass. What is shower tower?

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            Line all the studs around the shower with plastic before you put up the cement board. It will save you headaches if you get a water leak in the shower or tub area. I would go with a cultured marble shower enclosure. No leaks like you can get with a tile shower. Ask me how I know about plastic and leaks with a tile shower!��
                            Thanks for the heads up. I will look into the cultured marble.

Comment

Best thing in our new house was a walk through shower with no glass at all

Comment

Working...
                              X