Septic system question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Septic system question

We have an aerobic septic system so I have to add tabs about once a month. Is there an alternative to this 6’ thick concrete lid? I’ve been leaning over and lifting it out for 15 years but the older I get, the heavier it gets. Is a lid of that type likely a code requirement?

Yes. Mine has a 4” pvc stubbed beside it. Also make one that holds several tabs and is mounted “in line” vs tank

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      Yes. Mine has a 4” pvc stubbed beside it. Also make one that holds several tabs and is mounted “in line” vs tank
      We had our system put in last year and it has the 4" pipe inline for the chlorine tabs.

Comment

All of my lids screw on with stainless steel screws. Thee is one screw with a square head that acts as a lock. I think the cement block acts as a was to keep people out. Sounds like it is working. I don't know if you can find a lid that will screw on to that type of pipe.

Comment

I’d cut a three sided tab in the side of the pipe to slip the tablets into.

For added security throw a brick against the hole

Comment

You might be able to have an automatic chlorination system installed.

Comment

Get it fitted with a polylok top. They have kits that should fit your existing riser

Comment

Can you not just flush them in a toilet?

Comment

Yes, the lid is a code requirement, but you have some other options.

See if you can get a different riser that will accommodate a screw on lid. It will have a yellow "kid catcher" under the lid.

See if you can get a different chlorine feeder. I see many installed that are stand alone tubes. All you do is unscrew the top, pull out the feed tube, and fill it.

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                    Can you not just flush them in a toilet?
                    This is installed on the pump tank to kill the bacteria before it goes into the soil. You need the bacteria in the septic and aerobic tanks to breakdown the waste.

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
                      This is installed on the pump tank to kill the bacteria before it goes into the soil. You need the bacteria in the septic and aerobic tanks to breakdown the waste.
                      Ah gotcha.

Comment

dig down the outside of the riser, install a 4"pvc wye, or long radius elbow through the side of the riser, and bring it to the surface with a screw cap. backfill....Done

And crude attachment (screws, etc) of riser-to-pvc will suffice.

Comment

Dang, we have been in our house for 11 years and I havent ever put tablets in my system. Guess I better start...

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                            Dang, we have been in our house for 11 years and I havent ever put tablets in my system. Guess I better start...
                            16 for me. Never

My installer told me if it don’t stink don’t use em. Mines never had an odor

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              16 for me. Never

My installer told me if it don’t stink don’t use em. Mines never had an odor
                              Your nose must not work??? If you don't use some type of chlorine you are discharging raw fluid sewage on or near your yard. Are your kids or grandkids playing in or near that area??? Everything you wash, dispose or flush goes into that septic system and then is discharged onto the surrounding ground surface. Lots of possible germs with no disinfectant applied. Sounds like your installer's not too swift.

Comment

Working...
                              X