My Mini Hunting Lodge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
    I have seen a black water tank similar to a truck gas tank laid on top of a roof. The guy said the sun heats the water to make a nice warm shower. He uses it, then turns the water to it on and refills at the end so it can heat up for the next shower. Beats heating a pot of water and having to dump it into something.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Yep, I am still considering that. My biggest hurdle for that is.

1) I located camp close to shade to keep it less miserable.

2) Dont want to have to walk far for a shower

3) want cool water when warm outside and hot water when cold.

I remember a thread on here about a small propane tankless heater that I might give a search for.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Still greatness - good luck with the shower / insulation

Comment

See my response and materials list in the the thread above,

As for a sink, cut the top off of a 5 gallon ozarka bottle and add a faucet.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ballgame; 08-07-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
          http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ghlight=shower

Brother me and you would be best buds at camp! Gotta have a shower!!

Comment

Check out the Ecco temp L5 propane water heater. They are $120 and run off propane. You will need a pump. I have one set up off a sure flo RV pump that works great.
            The pump runs off 12V car battery. This thing gets hot enough to do dishes. I have mine plumbed to run to a shower and a sink outside our bathroom shack for dishes.

Comment

This is my favorite thread on TBH.

Comment

i started off with that and now have a 5000 fot lodge... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Texas276 View Post
                  Check out the Ecco temp L5 propane water heater. They are $120 and run off propane. You will need a pump. I have one set up off a sure flo RV pump that works great.
                  The pump runs off 12V car battery. This thing gets hot enough to do dishes. I have mine plumbed to run to a shower and a sink outside our bathroom shack for dishes.

This is what I did fro my shower BUT i got one off Amazon at a much cheaper price. the one I bought I found on sale for 69.99. Here is a link to one just like it on Amazon for 79.99

https://www.amazon.com/Ridgeyard-Pro...tant+Hot+Water

You just need a small water pump and a 12v battery.
                  Attached Files

Comment

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ghlight=shower

Seems like there are a lot of options for these tankless heaters. Definitely going to buy the heater/pump separate (instead of the coleman option). For the Eco L5, what was the warranty? They won't post it anywhere?

As far as some of the less expensive, they seem to be built for indoors, and I'd like to err on the side of a little more rugged.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      Seems like there are a lot of options for these tankless heaters. Definitely going to buy the heater/pump separate (instead of the coleman option). For the Eco L5, what was the warranty? They won't post it anywhere?

As far as some of the less expensive, they seem to be built for indoors, and I'd like to err on the side of a little more rugged.
                      I cant remember what the warranty was but I can tell you that their customer service is awesome. I know because I decided to upgrade the igniter after a mouse got in my unit.

I take mine down and store in the house now. In your situation you should just store it inside in a plastic tub when not there. I used quick disconnects on the garden hoses. Setup and take-down is less than a minute.

I bought mine from Bass Pro (online) so that I could return it easily return it should something go wrong.

I've been running the same for 7-8 years with Zero issues other than the mouse.

Best $120 I've spent in a longtime!

Comment

I cant remember what the warranty was but I can tell you that their customer service is awesome. I know because I decided to upgrade the igniter after a mouse got in my unit.

I take mine down and store in the house now. In your situation you should just store it inside in a plastic tub when not there. I used quick disconnects on the garden hoses. Setup and take-down is less than a minute.

I bought mine from Bass Pro (online) so that I could return it easily return it should something go wrong.

I've been running the same for 7-8 years with Zero issues other than the mouse.

Best $120 I've spent in a longtime!

Was already thinking quick connects and hook mounting it and storing inside for critters and freezes. Still working through making the pump portable as well and seperate from the heater...

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

Was already thinking quick connects and hook mounting it and storing inside for critters and freezes. Still working through making the pump portable as well and seperate from the heater...

I leave my pump in place and wrap the wires in plastic conduit. - no issues so far. You could put it in a box to protect it from the elements.

Those pumps come in 12V and 120V.

If you buy a generator then you could go with the 120V model but this will restrict your use of the shower to times when the Gen is running.... so keep that in mind. I have a solar panel hooked up to a deep cycle 12V running mine as well as my LED lights. - see thread http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=556259

As for working through this.

Those pumps come with Male thread connectors on each end and they are not threaded 3/4"

I found 2 hard nylon adapters for each side. (White arrows in pic 1)

I also installed (2) three ways behind the pump. (yellow arrows)

The three way on the outside is used to drain the line when it gets cold. I had it freeze solid once.

The three way in the shower house is probably overkill but it does let the line breath when I am draining and allows me to cut off flow to the pump if I spring a leak.

All of my exposed garden hose is covered in plastic drainage line to save it from vermin and sun damage.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I leave my pump in place and wrap the wires in plastic conduit. - no issues so far. You could put it in a box to protect it from the elements.

Those pumps come in 12V and 120V.

Good stuff Bob.

One more thing (because I've been doing a lot of looking/reading/etc)

I'd be curious as to what your battery/solar panel setup is. Did you use a marine battery or a special storage battery? Panel and charger would be good.

Being an Electrical Engineer... I can do the math but what I am more interested in knowing what equipment you are using that has lasted over the years.

Right now, I'm looking at wiring/routing:

12V Battery
                            Solar w/ Charger
                            12V Leds inside/outside the cabin
                            12V car adapters inside for electronics.
                            12V pump
                            5L heater.

All that stuff adds up quick... so don't want to buy things 2 or 3 times.

Comment

I just set mine up inside the bathroom shack, not outside. I put a vent on it and haven't died...yet. When showering, it isn't really on long enough to ever really get the vent very hot. Since we use a water tank, we keep our water use to a minimum. Get wet, turnoff water, lather up, water back on to rinse and done. It is on let than a minute per shower. There is a window in the bathroom we leave open, so I am not worried about any fumes or Carbon monoxide.

quick disconnects on the hoses makes it easier to move around if need be, as well and a couple of the connections that are hard to thread a hose onto.

DO make sure you unscrew the drain valve before you leave when it may freeze. I had one freeze and crack the brass valve. I replaced it for $30 though.

These Eccotemps are good units, I have seen the cheaper one's but I have 2 of the Eccotemps and had no issues with them other than 1 freezing and that was my fault, you can get them for $120 shipped an not have to worry about them.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I just set mine up inside the bathroom shack, not outside. I put a vent on it and haven't died...yet. When showering, it isn't really on long enough to ever really get the vent very hot. Since we use a water tank, we keep our water use to a minimum. Get wet, turnoff water, lather up, water back on to rinse and done. It is on let than a minute per shower. There is a window in the bathroom we leave open, so I am not worried about any fumes or Carbon monoxide.

quick disconnects on the hoses makes it easier to move around if need be, as well and a couple of the connections that are hard to thread a hose onto.

DO make sure you unscrew the drain valve before you leave when it may freeze. I had one freeze and crack the brass valve. I replaced it for $30 though.

These Eccotemps are good units, I have seen the cheaper one's but I have 2 of the Eccotemps and had no issues with them other than 1 freezing and that was my fault, you can get them for $120 shipped an not have to worry about them.
                                Good advise, I leave the propane hose connected to the Ecotemp unit (not the bottle) 24-7 and I leave the shower hose hooked up as well because they are hard to thread. After we shower I drain the unit so nothing sits in the coils.

Comment

Working...
                                X