6.5 vs the 5.56

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 vs the 5.56

So besides size difference what is the major difference in the round? do people like them more for reloading purposes or is there an huge difference that sets them in two different arenas?

Ammo availability and price I would think would be the main thing.

Comment

What exactly is your question? Neither caliber is comparative to the other in any way. 6.5 *** what? There are dozens of rounds in 6.5mm

Comment

Originally posted by 2014FusionM View Post
        So besides size difference what is the major difference in the round? do people like them more for reloading purposes or is there an huge difference that sets them in two different arenas?
        More knockdown power, better long range performance, higher BC. Tons of difference.

5.56 has only 2 advantages, cheaper / more available ammo. And Higher magazine capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by J McCoy View Post
          What exactly is your question? Neither caliber is comparative to the other in any way. 6.5 *** what? There are dozens of rounds in 6.5mm
          Meant the Creedmoor sorry, also compare it to the 7.62.

Comment

Apples and oranges IMO. Each has its uses, 5.56 , as stated, cheaper ammo and readily available in LOTS of different brands, but again IMO, it is a varmint round or military round. The 6.5, especially the Creedmoor, has the specs to be a super deer cartridge, especially at medium to long ranges. The 7.62, if you're talking .308 Win., is a very good cartridge for most anything in North America, save maybe moose and the large bears, but I'm sure many of them have fallen to the .308.

Comment

Gonna have to be more specific to get good answers. X51 x39 x54 all three have 7.62 in front of them but all are different cartridges

.223 and 6.5 creed arent even close to comparable apples to oranges all the way. And 6.5 creed is just a better version of the .308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

6.5 CM is the .308 win (7.62 NATO at higher pressure) brass necked down to 6.5mm.

Same case capacity and unless you are shooting past 600yds the same performance window.

If you have a .308 win and do not shoot long ranges then the 6.5cm is pretty worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                  6.5 CM is the .308 win (7.62 NATO at higher pressure) brass necked down to 6.5mm.

Same case capacity and unless you are shooting past 600yds the same performance window.

If you have a .308 win and do not shoot long ranges then the 6.5cm is pretty worthless.
                  I have a 7mm WSM but it is heavy and the ammo is expensive. it is good at long ranges and it has dropped everything it has touched. The main reason I ask is I am looking for a cheaper round that will carry good and something much lighter i can talk on Mule deer hunts and elk hunts.

Comment

I have a 7mm WSM but it is heavy and the ammo is expensive. it is good at long ranges and it has dropped everything it has touched. The main reason I ask is I am looking for a cheaper round that will carry good and something much lighter i can talk on Mule deer hunts and elk hunts.
                    Personally if I am stretching my legs on a hunt weight and ammo price is not at the top of my list. I usually carry my .300 RUM and have a backpack to carry the rifle in.

Many here will tell you that the 6.5CM and .308 Win will kill anything on the continent to 1000 yds. And it will if you are perfect, I am not.

Can I kill a whitetail with a .17bee? Yes, do I....no I use a .308 and keep it under 200yds. But then again, I like to error on the side of being overly cautious.

Comment

I have a 6.5 Grendel for mid size game huntin at a good distance <400 yards. You just don't want to hunt larger game with a .223. A Grendel is built on a smaller platform ar15 than the large creedmore or 308. You're really comparing two different things. Do you want lighter platform or don't mind a larger platform. What distance are you shooting? Once you decide these two then compare bullets. I have all the above calibers....I'm moving to Grendel and Creedmore for my huntin rounds. I'll use 308 in brush and thick woods cause I have a scar 17s. more wide open places I'll got the grndel or creemore. For longer distance target practice, creedmore.

Comment

If I could go back to when I was 18 I would not buy the 5.56 ar but probably 6.5, 300 blackout, or 7.62. I hate the 5.56 it is cheap and found at every store but honestly IN MY OPINION is a crappy round that has very little stopping power.

Comment

IMO, 5.56 shouldn't even be a consideration for this type of hunting. 6.5 Grendel is the ticket if you want the ar15 platform. But you will be better served by the creedmore or the 308 in an ar10 platform. Ar10s are not light or cheap though.

Comment

Hmmmm, lol..well, you asked? We use the 5.56, yes AR platform for pigs and it does the job and IMO is not a crappy round, but a fun as s..t round to shoot. Oh, we shoot the FMJ Green Tip and the hog's don't do well when it hits. I know, works for us thou!

Also have the calibers listed above and have both 6.5 CM & Grendel.

My Favorite is the 6.5 Grendel, AR platform which to date, does a great job on Texas Game including whitetails.

Get one of each then decide for yourself...THAT'S really the fun thing to do!

Comment

Maybe I am not understanding your question, but I would not suggest that a 5.56 ever be considered on a mule deer or elk hunt.
                              I really like my 6.5, but would still probably opt for a larger caliber if I was going to the mountains after elk.

Comment

Working...
                              X