Meat Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Hunt

Going to try this since the search for a Red Deer Hind or Buffelo Cow did yield any leads.

Target Animals: 2-3 White Tail Does or Axis Does or a mixture of Does/Hogs.

Price Range: $ 300-400

Notes:
    1. Bunk House type lodging
    2. 2-day Hunt or Arrive in evening and hunt 1.5 Days
    3. Allows Non-Hunting Guest (My 11 Year Old Son) with no crazy extra fees
    4. Allows Crossbow with no extra fees ( Sorry I can no longer shoot a "Vertical Bow" due to Back Disability Issues) or Gun
    5. Semi-Guided - Just drop off and Pick up is OK
    6. Up to 2.5 hour drive from San Antonio Area
    7. Easy Access - I only have a 2 WD Truck

Comment

The only thing that fits your requirements is Baker 3 Ranch. we will be there Oct 2nd. (me and my 12 year old)

All Bow Hunts are full for 2023 Message to our Hunters Attention Hunters PLEASE DO NOT USE GPS TO GET TO THE BAKER

Comment

Originally posted by swoledouglas View Post
        x2

Comment

I would love to go to KJO but NO Crossbows allowed and I'l have to look into Baker 3 ranch.

TTT ... Anybody know of any others.

Comment

Here are a couple places that you might check out they do run specials from time to time wont hurt to call 1) Double arrow bowhunting2)DB hunting ranch 3)WRS Ranch all have exotics

Comment

Extreme bowhunting, give Caleb a call and see what he says.

Comment

Not to be a smart alec. Can a 300-400 budget still get you 2-3 does with lodging etc? More so axis does? Places I have looked at are 300-400 per axis doe and no lodging. Best of luck.

Comment

For what your willing to spend your chances of coming home with any doe's is slim no matter were you go if the place is a business because I don't think any place could make any money selling real successful hunts at that price.

Comment

Unfortunately I have to agree. Maybe one axis doe. You may get two whitetail does somewhere they are trimming herd numbers but probably not at a bowhunting ranch. I do know they had a bunch willing to come to corn at the Baker3 when I went there. Not real big bodied deer.

Comment

We quit booking our axis doe hunts because of the increase in prices in live sale. I can easily sell as many as I can catch for $300 each right now. The demand on live sale is too high to do the meat hunts for the same or less. Occasionally I do one with a trophy hunter. Right now I just want to let them grow and populate.

Comment

I know it's ALL About $ and a Business with normal expenses but with Hunting prices ... I think I'll stay out of hunting and get into fishing until the wife gets her RN License = My own Place .

Comment

Originally posted by Patriot-2000 View Post
                          I would love to go to KJO but NO Crossbows allowed and I'l have to look into Baker 3 ranch.

TTT ... Anybody know of any others.

Did you actually talk to Keith at KJO or just read it off his website because the last time I talked to him he told me that he would allow a crossbow for someone who had a injury not allowing them to draw a compound bow. Then again it is his right to change his mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriot-2000 View Post
                            I know it's ALL About $ and a Business with normal expenses but with Hunting prices ... I think I'll stay out of hunting and get into fishing until the wife gets her RN License = My own Place .
                            You say that as if the operators are not being fair in what they charge. I know for a fact that most ranches are making very little money off of doe hunts. I know for a short while Ben was selling his for less than what it was costing him to replace them. It's not like these places are making a killing (no pun intended) on hunters taking an exotic doe or a whitetail doe at what they are charging. They spend more than that on feed often in a week. Unfortunately buying or leasing the land, keeping a fence in place, having and maintaining facilities, buying exotics, feeding and maintaining feeders and stands is very costly. That doesn't even take into account that much of the time it is a part time (weekends) gig for most of these people because they don't make a living doing it. It is unfortunate it is expensive but it's a business in Texas. And that is spreading across the nation. My kid won't be afford to lease for years on what he makes so it's time for me to buy a place so he will have someplace long after I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              You say that as if the operators are not being fair in what they charge. I know for a fact that most ranches are making very little money off of doe hunts. I know for a short while Ben was selling his for less than what it was costing him to replace them. It's not like these places are making a killing (no pun intended) on hunters taking an exotic doe or a whitetail doe at what they are charging. They spend more than that on feed often in a week. Unfortunately buying or leasing the land, keeping a fence in place, having and maintaining facilities, buying exotics, feeding and maintaining feeders and stands is very costly. That doesn't even take into account that much of the time it is a part time (weekends) gig for most of these people because they don't make a living doing it. It is unfortunate it is expensive but it's a business in Texas. And that is spreading across the nation. My kid won't be afford to lease for years on what he makes so it's time for me to buy a place so he will have someplace long after I'm gone.
                              I know it seems More like Hunting is a BIG Business ... Plus I understand expenses ... But some places are "Out of Control by charging 3X -5X what they paid" That's why I will limit myself until I can get my OWN piece of Texas.
                              On a Light note, I found a place near Rocksprings that will charge $200 for an Axis and that includes lodging & meals. I'll get some feedback after further searching.

Comment

Working...
                              X