Prickly Pear Jelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prickly Pear Jelly

Although the pictures don't show, this jelly making process was a family, fun filled day. The kids got to run around the ranch, mooing at cows, stomping on ants, gagging on the smell of natural gas, and generally soaking in what God has given us here on earth. I, on the other hand, got to fill my hands with the needles of many a ripe cactus pear! My wife helped get it all together after we got home, and the ensuing pictures we all took document the progress. Here is the recipe, to the best of my recollection:

1 bucket full ripe prickly pear tuna (40 or 50, I guess)
    (should get you 4 cups of juice)
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    6 cups sugar
    1 package of Sure-Jell

I held each pear with a fork and scrubbed most of the needles off under running water in the sink. Wearing gloves, I then trimmed off the top and bottom of each one, then quartered them, slicing from top to bottom.

Place your trimmed and quartered tuna in a dutch oven, then fill with water to just cover. Bring that to a boil, stirring and mashing, for about 20 minutes. This extracts all the juice and softens any remaining needles. You will need to double strain to make sure you have pure juice. I first strained through a large colander to remove the large pulp, then through a smaller mesh style to make sure no seeds or needles made it into the juice.

Pour the pear juice, lemon juice, and powdered Sure-Jell into a dutch oven and bring to a boil for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Next, add your sugar, continuing to stir. It may foam up! I tried adding butter to reduce foaming to no avail. I ended up lifting the pot off the stove to let it cool enough for the foam to settle, then set it back down and reduced the heat. It only took another 2 or 3 minutes before it was ready for canning.

Those jars get hot when you fill them with boiling jelly, so take care when handling these molten filled glass containers! I came out of that with just under 7 8 oz jars. Screw the lids down and immediately refrigerate. The next morning, enjoy the fruits of your labor, literally!

Todd

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grab a tuna tbh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	24867362

Name:	Careful picking tbh.jpg
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	24867363

Name:	Cut the pear tbh.jpg
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	24867364

Name:	Mash the tuna.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	24867365

Name:	First strain tbh.jpg
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	24867366

Name:	Double straining accident tbh.jpg
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	24867367

Name:	Lemon juice tbh.jpg
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	24867368

Name:	Stirring the jelly tbh.jpg
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	24867369

Name:	Canning tbh.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	24867370

Name:	Fin tbh.jpg
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	24867371

Looks good, Never had it but looks good. Gonna have to try this out.

Comment

It's got to be good. I've had PP pie that a land owners wife made for us one Thanksgiving years ago down south of Breckenridge. It was as good as any cherry pie I ever had.

Comment

We made some a long time ago and it was good.

Comment

My grandmother used to make that. I remember walking around with my grandfather and he'd pick one right off the cactus, pull out his knife, skin it and give it to me to eat. Fast forward about 25 years and I'm walking with my daughters and see some prickly pears and tell them the same story. I reach down to pick one and try to skin it for my daugters and all I got were fingers full of cactus needles. I gave up and threw it away. The old man must have had welding gloves for hands.

Comment

Great play by play. Sure makes pretty and delicious jelly.

Comment

LOOKS AWESOME! Love me some Jelly N Toast

Comment

I've been wanting to do this and also with agarita. Looks great!

JP

Comment

yes sir.

Comment

well worth the risk!

Comment

Good stuff.

Comment

I harvested some nice tunas years ago and extracted quite a bit of juice from them.

Tip: To get rid of the needles, stick a bamboo skewer in the end of the tuna, then run the flame from a propane torch over the tips of the needles. It does a real good job of dulling the needles to the point(!) where you can handle them without gloves and not get stuck. Quick and easy.

Chris

Comment

looks delicious!

Comment

I love me some pear jelly

Comment

You can also soak the fruit in teguila and it makes the best rita's

Comment

Working...
                              X