Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hornes Takedown Recurve anybody got one or shot one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hornes Takedown Recurve anybody got one or shot one?

Hey guys I know most of you on this page are prety dedicated to the sport of traditional archery. So I am looking for info on what I need to invest in for my first trad. bow. I have shot lognbow and recurve and have at least narrowed it down to the recurve. I am looking to get one in the 60lb range, so what woods do yall recommend for riser and limbs. I am not dead set on a HORNES Bow, that is just the only brand I have shot. I am trying to get some good speed out of a bow so arrow info would be good also, seems there is alot more to this traditional stuff than I first thought. Any and all info would be a great help. Thanks, CATFISH.

Catfish:

Mark and Sandy Horne makes one of the best recurves on the market, not to mention they are the very best to work with. I've owned a couple of their takedown Ridge Runner's and a couple of their Takedown Combo Hunter longbows. All are great shooters and the longbows shoot just as fast as their recurves.

One suggestion is to start with a light weight recurve and work up from there. I would not recommend over 50# to start with, heck, All my bows are only 50# and that is more than adequate for Whitetails. You will loose about 1-2" of draw length (from your compound) on a trad bow so be aware of that. Just remember that the further you draw the bow, the heavier it will become until it stacks (somewhere between 29"-31"). This just depends on the bow, length, draw weight and your actual draw length. Look on www.tradgang.com; www.stickbow.com for used bows in their respective classified sections. You can pick up a like new custom recurve at about 60% of new cost.

As for wood choices, the world is your oyster. You can go reds, browns, blacks, any number of wood choices. My suggestion is to attend some of the upcoming bow shoots next year and you can shoot literally a hundred or more. Or call Mark and Sandy Horne. They will steer you in the right direction. Some others to consider (depending upon you budget) are:

Black Widow (just ask Buff) I've got one too...
    Bob Morrison (www.morrisonarchery.com)
    Bob Sarrells (www.sarrellsarchery.com)

Let me know if I can be of any further help to ya.

Doug Key

Comment

Hey Doug I appreciate the response. This is all pretty new to me but I am seriously considering purchasing a traditional bow before next deer season. I have spoke with Sandy today after this post and she has seen me shoot some of there bows and thinks I will be OK in the 58 to 60 lb range. The reason for the higher poundage is not only for speed but I will be hunting bigger than whitetail sized animals in the near future( ELK MOOSE ). Man I like this traditional side of this site. Doug you have been a big help thanks, CATFISH.

Comment

There are lots of good bows out there. I don't disagree with anything Doug said.

If this is your first bow, you may want to start with a lower poundage used bow. You can get one cheap, 150-300 bucks, this will allow you to build good form and give you time to consider what you want in a custom bow. Go to 3-D shoots, and shops, and anywhere other trad shooters are. Look at there bows, most will let you shoot them if you ask. Then you can spend the big bucks on a Horne or Widow or whatever. You can always recover your money from the used bow a year later.

I don't have any wood preferences, I normally just tell them to build me a good shooter. That's what Bob Sarrells did with my last bow....I don't know what type of wood it is. Doesn't really matter to me.

Welcome to the trad page, feel free to ask away. A search will find many posts similar to yours, with about the same answers each time.

Comment

Catfish I can't give you any direction on which bow to buy but I will tell you a little about my shooting. I started about 2 1/2 years ago with a 45# recurve. This last year I bought a 55# and it's a world of difference. It may be me but it took me a while to get used to the higher poundage and be able to hunt comfortably. If you start off with the higher poundage bow you may not shoot it enough due to fatique and you may develope some bad shooting habits. Welcome to the group.

Comment

Living in North Texas you have a few good bowyers to choose from. Mark Horne is one of those down in Boyd. Bob Lee is one of the best down in Jacksonville. Up in the panhandle you have the Great Planes bows in the Pampa area that are also good. There are many others. Since you have plenty of time to check things out before next hunting season, take your time and try a few of those mentioned or or others and see which one fits you better. A 60 Lb. bow will kill anything on the North American Continent as will a good 50 pounder. Shoot the highest poundage that you can shoot well. I have dropped my weight down somewhat as I have gotten older. I am shooting a 65 Lb. longbow now that I have reached the ole 66 year mark. Good luck on your quest, have fun.
            Last edited by Cropduster; 12-12-2006, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X