Boar hog question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boar hog question

I have a sows and piglets coming to my feeders and these are what I am after.
    I also have a big boar that comes in about half the week. The nights the boar comes in, no sows are piglets come in.
    Do boars chase off the sows or do sows with piglets not come in because of danger to the piglets?
    If so, can I kill the boar and still keep the sows and piglets around?

Thanks!

No they don't scare them off haha.

Boars tend to stay in the area but go separately from the group. They will mix with the group also, but usually the big ones stay separate unless getting him some.

Comment

Probably true, but.........
      I have two months of trail/feeder cam pics and I have hogs every evening. The nights the boar is not there, the piglets are, and vice versa. The boar and sow/piglets are never together.
      Coincidence?

Comment

Probably dodging the sow because he's late on the child support payments.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
          No they don't scare them off haha.

Boars tend to stay in the area but go separately from the group. They will mix with the group also, but usually the big ones stay separate unless getting him some.

^^^^^^this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just because you don't seem the together in the gam cam doesn't mean they are not together. Gam cam only catches so much of the story.

Comment

i would say that almost all of the time the mature boars will run and feed alone unless they are on a sow. If a big boar is there you will likely not see the sow and piglets. If you shoot the boar it will not have any affect on the sow and piglets, you will just see them more often.
              it won't be long and another one will take his place. somewhere there is another boar always waiting to move in on another Boar's territory. these two picks are of two big boars shot at the same feeder only a few weeks apart this past deer season. i had never seen the 2nd boar before but he moved in after my son shot the first one. i had a sounder of more than 50 pigs coming to this feeder every evening that the boar didn't show up. i shot two one evening with my bow when they showed up.
              Attached Files

Comment

I have seen boar hogs guard corn and push sows off the corn. However, most of the time they will mark trees and check sows from the outskirts. If that boar is very territorial, he may be running the sows off if they aren't in heat. However, the only time I have seen them do this is when they were hitting the feeder every feeding.

I have been told that sometimes a boar will try to kill piglets to get the sows to cycle again and breed. However, I have never seen any sign of this in 26 years of hunting hogs.

Shoot the boar and see if it changes. I am willing to bet that the sows are sporadic and the boar is feeding only when the sow is not there. When she is there, he is probably marking the area so you aren't getting pics of him, but maybe off in the background.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. ^^^

Comment

Working...
                  X