Oklahoma gun laws without Texas LTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are taking our son to school in Oklahoma this weekend and I have tried looking up the answers. He is 18 years old and will be taking his own vehicle. I don’t like him not being able to defend himself if the need were to arise. I am looking specifically for the law pertaining to carrying a handgun in a vehicle.

So far what I have found that it cannot be carried in the passenger compartment of a vehicle while loaded unless you have a license. This seems asinine to me since OK seems to have at least as gun friendly laws as Texas.

Anyone that lives there and is knowledgeable of the law, I would appreciate some info on the law. Links to said law(s) would be appreciated.

He is not going to a public university where they may be prohibited. He is going to a private trade school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We have the Castle law here.

Comment

Have to be 21 to be in possession of a handgun.

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
        Have to be 21 to be in possession of a handgun.
        Is this a specific law in Oklahoma?

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
          Is this a specific law in Oklahoma?

I was going to ask him to point me to that specific law as well. I’m not aware of any law that says age of handgun possession is 21.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold 1 View Post
            We have the Castle law here.

That’s great and all but can you cite any specific laws that prohibit carry a handgun in a vehicle.

Comment

Chapter 53

Comment

Comment

Thanks Jeff. That makes it simple and confirms what I had been reading.

Oklahoma has some stupid vehicle carry laws.

Here’s the long version of it. All that legal language makes my head hurt.

Comment

You don’t want the ticket for a loaded firearm in OK. My cousin got one and it was north of $700.

Comment

B. A person or an owner, manager or employee of a business is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if: 1. The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, occupied vehicle, or a place of business, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against the will of that person from the dwelling, residence, occupied vehicle, or place of business; and 2. The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred. . . .

This is from the Stand You Ground Law.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold 1 View Post
                        B. A person or an owner, manager or employee of a business is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if: 1. The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, occupied vehicle, or a place of business, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against the will of that person from the dwelling, residence, occupied vehicle, or place of business; and 2. The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred. . . .

This is from the Stand You Ground Law.

Thanks. Can you post the link to that information?

Comment

I've been pulled over with a rifle,shotgun or pistol in the truck with me back before I was old enough to buy a gun.

They just asked to see if it was unloaded. I never did get asked why there was shells or a magazine on the floorboard....
                          Last edited by okrattler; 09-19-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Mike, I just Googled it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Thanks Jeff. That makes it simple and confirms what I had been reading.

Oklahoma has some stupid vehicle carry laws.

Here’s the long version of it. All that legal language makes my head hurt.

TRUE!!

Wife got pulled over on Indian Nations by OK state trooper while headed to family on Christmas Day. I woke up when she said says she is getting pulled over. I didn’t think anything about my handgun in the console. I quickly take magazine out(didn’t have live round in chamber) and place in glove box before we stop and tripper even gets pulled behind us. I tell her she needs to
                              Let tropper know, an unloaded gun is in the console as soon as he gets to the window. I didn’t have C.C.l at the time. He informs us both, a concealed license is a must to have a concealed gun in OK. If we would of had the gun on the dash in plain sight, we would not be in violation of the law. He gives her a warning and gives me a verbal on the gun, says have a safe and merry Christmas. Coach

Comment

Working...
                              X