My first custom knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first custom knife

After looking for a long time, I finally have my first custom knife for what I expect to be my next addiction in collecting knives. Damascus blade with Stag handle. I guess I should have expected a very sharp knife since it is a custom knife, but I was honestly surprised with how sharp it is. File work was more impressive in the photos than the actual knife, but I still couldn't be happier with my first custom knife. I am also impressed by the weight of it. Really happy with my knife!
    Attached Files

Not bad for $64.99

A true hunter has great respect for his kill, and no matter what, a hunting knife is a absolutely essential part of any successful hunting expedition. Whether you're out searching for medium to large game, this beautiful custom-made Damascus steel skinner knife commands the respect you and your next big kill deserve. Made of hundreds of layers of high-quality 15N20 & 1095 hand-forged steel in the Damascus style, this artfully crafted tool also features a stag horn handle and brass spacing with custom file work along its spine.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
      Well **** lol that is identical!!!! Thank you for sending another site for me to look for my next one

Comment

So not really a custom knife but a catalogued knife that ships from a warehouse.

You might talk to some of the custom knife makers on the GS and place an order with one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
          So not really a custom knife but a catalogued knife that ships from a warehouse.

You might talk to some of the custom knife makers on the GS and place an order with one of them.
          I guess so. Explains why it was so affordable. I don't have long money for some of the customs I have seen and loved. Wish I did!!

Comment

Was this misrepresented or did you misunderstand?

I would like to know if you were misled, and by who, because I am looking to get one right now and I keep hearing about scams. (Like this and other more extreme ones).

Comment

There are plenty of makers who are just starting out and will charge less than $400 for a good drop point. There will probably be a bit of a wait. Google "loveless style drop point hunter" and that will get you started.

Below is an example of a drop point style hunter by John Young. He is a stud. Not suggesting you pay that, but its an example.

Comment

Now that phones are starting to cost $1000, it doesn't seem like quite so much to pay for a knife anymore. A knife lasts a lot longer than an iphone.

Comment

Not to mention the work that goes into a handmade knife. I make some fairly decent but plain knives with sheaths, the hours that go into the knife/sheath, plus supplies, plus tools, do it for the love of making it, and don't sell it for $65. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                    There are plenty of makers who are just starting out and will charge less than $400 for a good drop point. There will probably be a bit of a wait. Google "loveless style drop point hunter" and that will get you started.

Below is an example of a drop point style hunter by John Young. He is a stud. Not suggesting you pay that, but its an example.

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/...hn/134695.html
                    I will start by saying I am uninformed on custom knives. What makes them worth so much more besides the actual process of making them? Do they use better stock, does it hold an edge longer, etc.?

I am all for paying what something is worth, if it makes the product better. I just am not sure what sets these apart. Besides the obvious; they look cool as hell!

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                      I will start by saying I am uninformed on custom knives. What makes them worth so much more besides the actual process of making them? Do they use better stock, does it hold an edge longer, etc.?

I am all for paying what something is worth, if it makes the product better. I just am not sure what sets these apart. Besides the obvious; they look cool as hell!
                      Pretty much everything you listed. Plus the heat treat and temper. IF that isn't right, it's an expensive paperweight.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. Myself and other makers will be happy to help.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                        Now that phones are starting to cost $1000, it doesn't seem like quite so much to pay for a knife anymore. A knife lasts a lot longer than an iphone.
                        Man speaks the TRUTH

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                          Pretty much everything you listed. Plus the heat treat and temper. IF that isn't right, it's an expensive paperweight.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. Myself and other makers will be happy to help.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                          Ive have had the same knife for 15 years. It it harder to sharpen but holds an edge better than factory knives. Its balanced better. In your hand it feels substantial. When I need a razor sharp edge I take it to a few different people that sharpen for a nominal fee. They always say "**** thats a nice piece of steel." I prefer micarta scales because they don't warp and come in endless colors.

Having said that, I have recently used some disposable scalpel blades to skin deer and hogs and those are remarkable and cheap.

But in a world where disposable is the norm, I want something that will stand the test of time that I can pass down to my children.
                          Last edited by Roy Munson; 12-15-2017, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X