Anybody have a PhD? Need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody have a PhD? Need help.

I know there are at least a couple members here who have doctorate degrees...

I have just started down the path for my doctorate degree (DBA) and am working on an assignment. I would like to try my hand at teaching at the college level in the latter half of my life, so the exercise is designed to make some short term goals and get them down on paper with a timeline for each item so I am on the right path. I need 5-10 short term goals, but am stuck on three because I really don't know what else would be more beneficial. So far I have:

1. Get a paper published in a peer-reviewed journal.
    2. Work as a pert-time adjunct professor (in the hope of being able to pick up a class or two teaching online).
    3. Keep current with trends in higher education.

What else am I missing here? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a post hole digger.

Comment

Learn the pedagogy. The biggest mistake universities make is hiring just based off the applicant having a PhD and the ability to bring research funds. These candidates often end up being horrible at translating their immense knowledge into a form that a student can absorb. If you can manage it, try to get some training in actual educational strategies like differentiated instruction and classroom management.

You have noble and lofty goals, I hope that you achieve them because the Lord knows higher education needs some more TBH members adding in some real world values that will make us a better planet.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
        I have a post hole digger.
        I am ALWAYS LATE !

Comment

Originally posted by GrapeApe View Post
          Learn the pedagogy. The biggest mistake universities make is hiring just based off the applicant having a PhD and the ability to bring research funds. These candidates often end up being horrible at translating their immense knowledge into a form that a student can absorb. If you can manage it, try to get some training in actual educational strategies like differentiated instruction and classroom management.

You have noble and lofty goals, I hope that you achieve them because the Lord knows higher education needs some more TBH members adding in some real world values that will make us a better planet.

I actually have to teach an online course as part of my program but that's a couple years down the road.

I figure someone has to go toe to toe with the lib professors out there. Might as well be me. I'll have had close to 25 years in operations management by the time I'm done so I hope that'll come in use.

Comment

Can you get some sort of specialized credential to add onto the degree in a more specific area, I'm my profession we can.

Can you sit on a board to help write questions for standardized testing or licensing.

Comment

Would you be able to help assist the program once your degree is finished to help in the selection process of new applicants

Comment

What field are you studying? That is pretty important.

Wymyn's Studies, Black History, etc. won't make dam with a PHD.

In some fields, an MS/MA will take you far professionally, then leave you a chance to teach at the end of your career, assuming you maintain your basic skills and knowledge. Those fields are primarily science, engineering, or math. No university needs a 60 yo English Major that graduated in 1980. They can pay current grad students near minimum wage to be Teaching Fellows. If you are grad student in Math/Sciences, you can get 2-3X minimum wage to be a Teaching Fellow.

Don't ask me how I know I got a MS Math in 1989, and graduated with $4K in savings and no student loans, thanks to being a TF and Tutor for the Math Dept. I got $2700 per class, but the English majors were getting $900 per class.

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Tex View Post
                  Can you get some sort of specialized credential to add onto the degree in a more specific area, I'm my profession we can.

Can you sit on a board to help write questions for standardized testing or licensing.

That's a good idea. I'm going to check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
                    What field are you studying? That is pretty important.

Wymyn's Studies, Black History, etc. won't make dam with a PHD.

In some fields, an MS/MA will take you far professionally, then leave you a chance to teach at the end of your career, assuming you maintain your basic skills and knowledge. Those fields are primarily science, engineering, or math. No university needs a 60 yo English Major that graduated in 1980. They can pay current grad students near minimum wage to be Teaching Fellows. If you are grad student in Math/Sciences, you can get 2-3X minimum wage to be a Teaching Fellow.

Don't ask me how I know I got a MS Math in 1989, and graduated with $4K in savings and no student loans, thanks to being a TF and Tutor for the Math Dept. I got $2700 per class, but the English majors were getting $900 per class.

Doctor of Business Administration. My mentor says there's a need for professionals that know operations management, so hopefully that will translate.

Comment

BS/MS/PHD Several of our kids and friends kids have them.

Bull Sh*t/Mostly Stupid subjects/Piled Higher and Deeper

Think long and hard about what you are trying to do. If it is to just make money, then field experience and training is worth much more to an employer. If just to gain credibility among your peers, you can become an expert in anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                        BS/MS/PHD Several of our kids and friends kids have them.

Bull Sh*t/Mostly Stupid subjects/Piled Higher and Deeper

Think long and hard about what you are trying to do. If it is to just make money, then field experience and training is worth much more to an employer. If just to gain credibility among your peers, you can become an expert in anything.

Probably will be a pay cut for me. I'm doing it to wrap up my career doing something I like. I've spent the first half finding ways to get paid as much as possible. Got a big raise after the MBA that's allowing me to pay for my daughter's college degree and to save some funds for the 401K. Tired of chasing the carrot strictly for money.

Comment

Good luck and congrats. Sounds like you are satisfying personal goals. That is an important feature in our lives.

I have one year of college, 40 years of experience in the nuclear field, and am still referred upon by many people much smarter than myself. Kids are all through college and successful, we are retired and comfortable. Living the good life.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                            Good luck and congrats. Sounds like you are satisfying personal goals. That is an important feature in our lives.

I have one year of college, 40 years of experience in the nuclear field, and am still referred upon by many people much smarter than myself. Kids are all through college and successful, we are retired and comfortable. Living the good life.

Nothing about wanting to feel smarter than others so to speak...just want to enjoy work again.

Comment

You will love teaching in College. I have taught and coached at the college level for over 30 years now. No parents, Come and go as you please. It's great.

My goals are reversed from yours. I would like to find a job and get trained to do something totally new and make a lot of money for 4-5 years.

I don't have a Ph.D. But I do have a Masters. In most of the faculty meetings, I was in with all those phd's. I knew I was probably the dumbest guy in the room. But when they would ask questions and give answers I would feel like the smartest guy in the room.

Keeping up with technology would be a goal.

Comment

Working...
                              X