What would be easier to learn with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would be easier to learn with.

For learning the basics what does everyone recommend. A recurve or a long bow ?

I don't think it really matters between the two as far as which is easier to shoot. What matters more is starting with a low poundage bow while you work on form. For that reason many start with a recurve, simply because there are more of them available in inexpensive, "starter" models. (ie: Samick Sage) However, if you could get your hands on a low poundage longbow (40# range) that would work just as well.

Comment

I have 1 of each. I got them last year and never did anything with them yet. The long bow is 47 pounds and the recurve is 58. I didn't know if one was easier to shoot or not, I've been making excuses for a year to not shoot them. As soon as I order a bow stringer that's changing.

Comment

Whichever one feels better to YOU!!!!

And a good thing about the longbow is that you don't need a stringer!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch
          I was in bed when I read that, did a little googling and got up and strung up the longbow.

Comment

Bisch
            ?

I don't need a stringer for my recurves.

But a tricked out compound would be easier to learn with. Everyone knows those are what beginners use.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
              ?

I don't need a stringer for my recurves.

But a tricked out compound would be easier to learn with. Everyone knows those are what beginners use.
              I could too, if I wantd to. I know of bowyers who will void their warranty if you don't use a stringer on their recurves. It's not that you can't do it, It's that a recurve limb can put your eye out if it slips out of your hand, and also it is very easy to induce twist in a recurve limb when stringing it without a stringer.

It is hard for me to believe that a self professed archery coach would get on a forum and advocate the practice of stringing a recurve without a stringer, esp to a beginner!!!!

Bisch
              Last edited by Bisch; 03-05-2015, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Use the long bow due to light poundage....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                  Use the long bow due to light poundage....
                  This is great advice. Trying to learn good form on a 58# recurve would be difficult, at best!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by fox1 View Post
                    I have 1 of each. I got them last year and never did anything with them yet. The long bow is 47 pounds and the recurve is 58. I didn't know if one was easier to shoot or not, I've been making excuses for a year to not shoot them. As soon as I order a bow stringer that's changing.
                    Definately go with the 47# bow. I don't know what your current strength level is, but I found #40 quite heavy for holding at anchor for very long when I started out. It makes it harder to find a comfortable consistent anchor because you can't hold the position long enough. The letoff on a compound can't be understated enough as an huge advantage (I can hear Bisch saying "I told you so!" )

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      Definately go with the 47# bow. I don't know what your current strength level is, but I found #40 quite heavy for holding at anchor for very long when I started out. It makes it harder to find a comfortable consistent anchor because you can't hold the position long enough. The letoff on a compound can't be understated enough as an huge advantage (I can hear Bisch saying "I told you so!" )
                      Thats my plan, i strung it up last night and i have been doing a little research today on adjusting the brace hight and Tuning arrows. i ordered the book " Become the arrow " and I'm probably going to read that once it comes in before i just go slinging arrows. Im still going to string the recurve up just because she sure is beautiful to look at.

Comment

What you really need to do is to find some experienced trad guys in your area to help you out at first. It will greatly lessen the frustration and learning curves!

Bisch

Comment

It is hard for me to believe that a self professed archery coach would get on a forum and advocate the practice of stringing a recurve without a stringer, esp to a beginner!!!!
                          Self professed?

LOL.

Comment

What you really need to do is to find some experienced trad guys in your area to help you out at first. It will greatly lessen the frustration and learning curves!

Bisch
                            If i could find any i would. Im in Oklahoma now and this state is a little on the skinny side when it comes to archery of any kind. I will try looking around some but there isn't even any 3D courses that i have found in the Tulsa area.
                            We joined the Tulsa Archery club trying to meet some bowhunters around here and gave up going because there was never anyone there. Thats why one of my future posts will be when I'm showing off my 3D course the wife wants me to build at our place.

Comment

Fox, you have one of the best recurve coaches in the U.S. right there in Tulsa. His name is Larry Seale and he's a Master's National Champion. Look him up.

Oh, and he's a real coach. Not just a self-professed one like I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X