Rem 700 25-06 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rem 700 25-06 ??

Anybody with a Remington 700 in 25-06 have trouble getting tight groups with certain ammo. I've tried sighting mine in with the hornady superformance in .117 grain but can't group better than about 3". I found some Remingti core-lokt in .100 grain in going to try but curious if anyone experienced this and what you had the best results with. Thanks in advance

Superformance super sucks! Try a different ammo. There has been numerous threads about Superformance!

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
      Superformance super sucks! Try a different ammo. There has been numerous threads about Superformance!
      ^^^ this
      Try federal w/117gr. Sierra BT. They will shoot.

Comment

Go to federal or Barnes and you will be good

Comment

Mine shoots under an inch. I did have to relieve the barrel channel where it was touching the barrel in a couple of places though.

Comment

Originally posted by DKirk View Post
            Anybody with a Remington 700 in 25-06 have trouble getting tight groups with certain ammo. I've tried sighting mine in with the hornady superformance in .117 grain but can't group better than about 3". I found some Remingti core-lokt in .100 grain in going to try but curious if anyone experienced this and what you had the best results with. Thanks in advance
            Always happy to help out someone from LJ....(B'wood 78 here)....

To re-phrase it more diplomatically, Superformance is notoriously inconsistent, and you should probably move on if your gun doesn't like it. The other suggestions above seem pretty solid, I never shot factory ammo though the .25-06 that I had, though.

What I did find out about my gun (700 BDL w/Shilen 1/10 twist barrel) was that it distinctly preferred the lighter/shorter bullet profiles in the 100gr range. I had a heck of a time getting it to shoot 110gr Accubonds, but finally did when I backed off the velocity to about 3140fps. A Ruger .257 Improved that I had, on the other hand, had no problems shooting the 117gr Hornady SST at 3150fps accurately. Both of those guns are now owned by other TBH'rs, and I know the .257 has seen a lot of use....

In short, if the Core-Lokt's don't group well, I'd recommend trying other factory 100gr rounds before moving to bullets in the 115-120gr range. The standard 1/10 twist seems to support greater accuracy from the shorter, lighter bullets, but some rifles will shoot the heavier projectiles accurately. YMMV.

Stu

Comment

My Howa in 25-06 hates that ammo too. I can almost touch holes with barnes

Comment

My Ruger .25-06 shoots one brand/bullet weight under half-inch--Winchester 120-gr Positive Expanding Point. Best group I've shot with it was .28" for 3 shots at 100 yds. I have worked up a handload that duplicates the accuracy so I don't buy factory ammo. Hardest part was finding bullets--ended up using the Hornady 120 gr Spire Point HP, flat base. The rifle doesn't like the Hornady 120-gr boattails.

I've said it before, but rifle barrels and ammo are like guys 'n beer or pickups--each has its own preference. Got to drive/drink a bunch to figure out which one.

Comment

Have great results with Winchester 120 gr. PEP...

Comment

I shoot a Sako 25-06. It shoots 100 grain Remington, Barnes, Hornaday to less then 1 inch. 117 gr. Federals. shoot good aslo. It do not shoot 120 Remington or 117 Hornaday particularly well. Worst load was Winchester 90 gr. It also shoots 115 gr. Ballistic Silvertips to less than an inch. Did not shoot Remington 120 gr. particularly well.

The 100 gr. Remington is readily available. That is what I shoot the most. Mainly whitetail, coyotes and pigs. Good performance.

Good luck.

Comment

Finally got a chance to shoot the 100 gr Remington I picked up. The gun shot them much better. I was in a hurry to get to my stand but liked the results enough to leave my 30-06 in the truck. Going to do some fine tuning but next time I have a chance. The top two were from my 30-06 the three to the left are the 25-06.

Comment

Well played.....

Slayer

Comment

I haven't tried any 100gr out of my sendero yet. It the 115 grain it seems to like flat base partitions better than boattails.

Comment

Mine has always shot the 100 gr. Remi core-lokt's best.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X