Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
BIG D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Zavala County
Default Protein Intake STX

What are you guys seeing down south as far as protein intake. They havent been tearing it up at the lease in Zavala County but it looked like they were starting to eat more this last trip. I am trying to decide when to go back to check feeders.
BIG D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
fritztown
Ten Point

I was near Cotulla last weekend and things were starting to dry out some...
fritztown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

I'll be down at the ranch tomorrow night.. my turn to top off the pro-feeders.. should have some idea then.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

Feed consumption just jumped last week. Cotttonseed and protein increased by about 20% over previous weeks. All the winter forbs about gone now and it is getting dry again. That would be in Dimmit County.
TexasTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Mexico is still pretty slow.
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
BIG D
Pope & Young

I noticed a lot of the winter stuff going away and everything pretty much browning up last trip. Figured they will start hitting them harder.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Yeah our ground Forbs are gone but, all the brush just bloomed out
Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
rattler7696
Ten Point

Webb county. They really started hitting the cottonseed and protein the last 3 weeks. Starting to brown up and the forbs and grasses are gone. We fill up a 800# protein feeder every 3-4 weeks. Cottonseed every 3 weeks. Need some rain bad or we will be back to last years situation.
rattler7696 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
TxSportsman
Eight Point

I live in Dimmit county. Protein is starting to go quickly as spring forbs are diminishing. Every property is different, but get ready for your feeders to be sucked dry...
TxSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Refugio cty has pick up dramatically in the last few weeks. That is why I like to have it out there when they really dont seem to be using it. Once they need it, it is there ready for them to consume. We did get a big rain a couple of weeks ago so that should green things back up again.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
PD3
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas - Delta, Jim Hogg, Zapata Counties; Kentucky - Union County

We are in Zapata Co. and the deer are hitting the protein pretty hard
PD3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
BIG D
Pope & Young

Just talked to a guy who is at a ranch about 3 miles from us and he said a lot of the feeders are empty. They really started hitting it hard in the last two weekes. I will have to make a trip next week to top ours off.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
systemnt
Pope & Young

just got back from the ranch near Alice... deer are hitting the protien feeders hard...they were topped off 2 weeks ago and were below a quarter full...even the ones that get less traffic normally were getting action.
Surprising since EVERYTHING is green and its grown up a bunch from the rains they got.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
Tx625
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Hitting it hard again, our place is looking like a dust bowl again. We sure could use some rain!
Tx625 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
HappyM
Ten Point

Hitting it pretty hard the last couple of weeks in Dewitt
HappyM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Just got back from Mexico Sunday and it is green as ever. We put out our first ton of cottenseed and topped off the protien. I am not planning on putting out any more protien till the middle of next month. The brush is in great shape and I know that is better for them right now rather they want the protien or not. Other than that they started slacking off on hitting the pens last week from what we could tell.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
txrdkng
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Bell County

5 weeks ago we topped off the feeders (Bell county). They had been filled 6 weeks before that and they were still 2/3 full when we topped them off. Checked them Saturday (after the latest 5 weeks) and they are bone dry.
txrdkng is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
perfectstorm
Pope & Young

We have one feeder that is going thru 20 lbs/day, over 1000 pictures every 3 days but other feeders not so much. Average probably 10lbs/day right now in Hardin Co.
perfectstorm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #19
fritztown
Ten Point

Nice & green - gonna delay for another couple weeks...

Any other reports??
Old 05-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #20
Hunter_812
Four Point

Hunt In: Taylor, Nolan County

I know it's not stx, but at our place in Taylor county they're hitting it pretty hard. Emptied one 2000#'er in a little less than a month. Didn't feel like filling it up all the way and put 700#s in it last tuesday, by the following monday it was bone dry. Going to fill up this next week and actually put a camera on it. 100#/day just sounds crazy.
Hunter_812 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
STGS
Ten Point

We are seeing an increase in consumption over the past week or two. Based on a estimated population of 150 adult deer, we are feeding 7,000 lbs per month. That equates to about 1.5 lbs per adult deer, per day. This is up about 30% since April when the brush was in full bloom with lots of Spring forbes.
STGS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #22
HappyM
Ten Point

Protein feeders are getting worked over in Dewitt. Also noticed the deer are working on the partridge peas that are blooming.
HappyM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #23
BIG D
Pope & Young

Was at the lease in Zavala county last Thursday. Protein is being hit really hard despite the green range conditions.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
systemnt
Pope & Young

heading down to top off/refill pro-feeders this weekend...
getting reports from ranch owner that its as green as he's ever seen it... doing lotsa roll choppin..
Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #25
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

I am going to hold off on Protien This month due to the green up. Two yrs ago we had 70ins of rain that yr on the lease and the deer never let up on Protien. For the amount of Protien fed that yr I was disapointed with the horns come season. Sence then I have been trying to cut the protien off when I know the brush is better for them and then hit them hard early and late when they need it most. Anyone else try this or seen there deer getting to dependent to Protien?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #26
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co

Our deer won't touch protien when it's green but they dont eat a lot any way. This is only the second year our deer have ever had protein so they aren't accustomed to eating it yet. I would be surprised if we even have to refill them more than once this year at the rate we are going. This is good news of course.

Last edited by KactusKiller; 05-31-2012 at 12:53 AM.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #27
Tx625
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
I am going to hold off on Protien This month due to the green up. Two yrs ago we had 70ins of rain that yr on the lease and the deer never let up on Protien. For the amount of Protien fed that yr I was disapointed with the horns come season. Sence then I have been trying to cut the protien off when I know the brush is better for them and then hit them hard early and late when they need it most. Anyone else try this or seen there deer getting to dependent to Protien?
Never seen them get dependent on protein. My buddy is running a deer every 4 acres, he packs the protein to them year around. When it greens up his deer back off and hit the browse on there own. My place is the same way and I have a deer for about every 16 acres. I wouldn't think it would be worth the time and money in fuel to go back and fourth to shut them off, and back on again.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #28
BIG D
Pope & Young

I will be back at the lease this weekend. I will be curious to see what they have eaten in 9 days.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #29
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG D View Post
I will be back at the lease this weekend. I will be curious to see what they have eaten in 9 days.
I have approx. 1 deer per 8 acres. Eating about 150# per feeder per week and about 1/4 of a cottonseed basket per week.
TexasTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #30
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx625 View Post
Never seen them get dependent on protein. My buddy is running a deer every 4 acres, he packs the protein to them year around. When it greens up his deer back off and hit the browse on there own. My place is the same way and I have a deer for about every 16 acres. I wouldn't think it would be worth the time and money in fuel to go back and fourth to shut them off, and back on again.
I am Lucky to have Cowboys on the ranch yr around that is only a Phone Call away. or No it would not be worth The gas. In the past the deer would turn off but, after our fourth season I have about ten feeders that they hit hard regardless how green it is. The other 9 feeders would slow down a little. Come the end of June when the brush starts drying out I will go thru 50lbs a days across the board.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #31
jcso139
Ten Point

Hunt In: gillespie county

we have 1000 acres and have 6 400lbs protien feeders and the deer are drain them in about 4 weeks. going back this weekend to fill them.
jcso139 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #32
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:

That's sound logic.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #33
Tx625
Ten Point

Quote:
I am Lucky to have Cowboys on the ranch yr around that is only a Phone Call away. or No it would not be worth The gas. In the past the deer would turn off but, after our fourth season I have about ten feeders that they hit hard regardless how green it is. The other 9 feeders would slow down a little. Come the end of June when the brush starts drying out I will go thru 50lbs a days across the board.
I totally understand where your coming from, and everything you have said makes perfect since. Me, personally, I want my deer to have access to protein at all times. Lord knows I hate those feed bills too, but I just cut the check and try not to moap about it for to long. Basically what I am saying is me, I would not turn off the feeders, just wouldnt want the what if's stuck in the back of my mind. But understand if you did, if you dont think its helping you to keep it out during the green times, then by all means cut them off. You never know, you might be on to something.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #34
systemnt
Pope & Young

ALL but one of our 8 1000lb pro-feeders were empty (about 4 weeks from last fill)... The 2000lb feeder/trough was still pretty full...but it usually is.
They are hitting it pretty hard..surprising so since everything is still really green.
Just finished filling them this weekend... which reminds me to look into that leaf-blower feed blowing system.....cuz...lifting/pouring 8000 lbs of feed in 101 temps ...sucks ..it seems i always forget how much until we get out there..

Saw quite a few antlers starting to fork....
Old 06-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #35
fritztown
Ten Point

Yeah I heard the burn ban's back on around Cotulla.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #36
BIG D
Pope & Young

It looks like they slowed down some after the rain at our place. Filled feeders on 5/24 and only had around 100 lbs missing from the hardest hit feeders when I was back down there on 6/2.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #37
systemnt
Pope & Young

http://www.bossbuck.com/products/feeders/pakmule.html

Building one....
Old 07-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #38
BIG D
Pope & Young

Was at the ranch yesterday and Monday. Deer are eating protein but not what I would say a whole lot. A couple feeders were hit pretty hard but for the most part for this time of year, I would say below average. The ranch is drying up but between mesquite beans, ripe pear, and persimons, I think mother nature is still helping out a lot.