Unique Hunting Rules/Regulations, by State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unique Hunting Rules/Regulations, by State

The thread about the bobcat that was confiscated in Kansas got me thinking...what are some unique hunting rules/regulations that you have heard of/seen and what state was it in?

I don't remember the state but I read about one that you have to shoot a doe to be able to shoot a buck. That's a good idea I think, would help reduce the doe population.

Comment

A few states back east had no hunting on Sunday.

Comment

No predator hunting or hog hunting at night in Oklahoma.....worst rule ever.

You can shoot swift foxes in Kansas but not Oklahoma. Like they're really that far apart.....

Can't display dead animals in the back of your truck in Kansas. Legally it has to be covered. So bunny huggers don't cry I guess? Never really understood that one.

Legally you can't use tobacco on WMA land in Oklahoma. Or get naked......not that I have a problem with that it's just weird they have to tell people they can't do that......I've never tried fishing or hunting naked so maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge.....I don't know how to fly fish but I wouldn't start out that way.
        Last edited by okrattler; 10-19-2017, 12:23 AM.

Comment

In Maine it is still illegal to hunt on Sundays.

Comment

Cannot carry a firearm during archery season in NYS. Even if you have a CCW or are LE .

Comment

Colorado can’t have anything more then 80% let off...

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                I don't remember the state but I read about one that you have to shoot a doe to be able to shoot a buck. That's a good idea I think, would help reduce the doe population.
                I hunted my uncles place in Ohio about 20 years ago and had to buy a doe tag and fill it before i could buy a buck tag.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  No predator hunting or hog hunting at night in Oklahoma.....worst rule ever.

You can shoot swift foxes in Kansas but not Oklahoma. Like they're really that far apart.....

Can't display dead animals in the back of your truck in Kansas. Legally it has to be covered. So bunny huggers don't cry I guess? Never really understood that one.

Legally you can't use tobacco on WMA land in Oklahoma. Or get naked......not that I have a problem with that it's just weird they have to tell people they can't do that......I've never tried fishing or hunting naked so maybe I shouldn't be so quick to judge.....I don't know how to fly fish but I wouldn't start out that way.
                  You might want to double check that. I been surveying up here since the beginning of the year and I think they have changed that rule sometime this year. There are some stipulations to the new rule but I do believe you can now hunt at night for pigs and coyote. I'm not 100% on this but it's worth looking into since you are a resident and do quite a bit of hunting here.

Comment

No making fun of bucks killed behind high fence ranches in Texas........

Comment

Missouri-

-Not really that weird, but most of the state you can only shoot a buck that has at least 4 points on one side

-Mountain lions cannot be shot unless for livestock

-Spring turkey hunting ends at noon everyday to give mushroom hunters time to walk around pick them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                        It's like that in a lot of counties in Wisconsin.

Comment

In Texas, (and pretty much everywhere) it's Illegal to hunt with a spotlight.... thats just silly... its dangerous to only use the trucks headlights...

Comment

Licensing Hunters in Texas who can't distinguish between High Fence and Breeder operations.

Comment

Pennsylvania:

-No Sunday Hunting except for crows, foxes, and coyotes.
                              -Need a permit for bobcats which is a draw and hard to get.
                              -Need permit to kill one venomous snake a year and only during "snake season". If you are caught killing one any other time of year you face a fine even if they are in your house.
                              -No semi-auto rifles for big game.
                              -Doe tags are on a draw basis a few rounds over late summer. Most run out after round 1. Some special units are over the counter but not many.
                              -Until a couple of years ago when they started the mentor program, you had to wait until age 12 to hunt.
                              One more, rifle season is 2 weeks long with the first week bucks only, second way either sex (if you have a tag). Pa has almost 1,000,000 licenses hunters and they are known as the orange army.

I am sure there are more these are the first that came to mind. I just moved from there this past January.
                              Last edited by stickbowcoop; 10-19-2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X