No announcement yet.

How early is TOO early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hour before shooting light in the morning. An hour before my feeder goes off in the evening

Comment

30 minutes before light for me

Comment

So let me caveat this by stating that I only hunt public land. I've never showed up too early, but I've definitely been too late a time or two, even showing up over an hour before daylight. If you're going to compete for spots, you gotta get that mattress off your back and be willing to nap in the woods to make up for lost sleep.

Comment

60-90 minutes before shooting light.

Comment

I'm usually in the stand and settled about an hour before shooting light.
            If you jump deer coming in and you will eventually, it gives things time to settle down.
            You would be surprised how long it takes to get yourself situated and back to normal breathing after entering the stand.
            That said, I took my largest buck, 158 P&Y after getting to the stand late, and my butt hadn't even hit my chair I looked up and the buck was 20 yards away standing broadside.
            Yep, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!
            Last edited by Jimbo47; 10-06-2017, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KYBourbon View Post
              I like to be there at least an hour before legal light. Part of my reasoning is that’s my favorite time in the woods. It’s the most peaceful. I just like to relax that hour, reflect and give thanks.
              x2

Comment

30-45 minutes before break of daylight

Comment

I dont think there is a "too early" just a too late

Comment

I too like to get settled early. Gives me time to unpack, get setup, drink a MONSTER (no coffee on hunting mornings cuz we all know what that does) and spend some time giving Thanks and enjoying the rare alone-time. Let's things get nice and quiet before morning prime-time.

Comment

A full hour before first light, that way there is plenty of time for the woods to quiet back down after I get settled.

Comment

Depends on the property for me. Headed to S TX this weekend and won't get in the blind until 15-30 minutes before shooting light. Other places in the hill country and central Texas, an hour before shooting light, sometimes longer.

Comment

I go in 1 hour before first light and from 4pm to sundown in the evening.

Comment

On my lease, there is a "too early" since night hunting for hogs is not allowed during any whitetail season. This is not a written rule but was verbally told to me by the lease manager.

I have never asked what the definition of "night" or "too early" is. I only hunted a few times last year during deer season, being more interested in hog hunting myself, but I was one of the first up in the morning, heading to my stand.

The reason the lease manager gave me for the rule is to keep suspicions of lease members at bay for other members poaching deer (ie shooting them during non-legal hours).

Personal opinion: I think this is absurd. I'm a law abiding and ethical hunter, and I am the most impacted by the rule as I would go hog hunting in my area only and leave the deer for everyone else if given the choice. Don't get me wrong, if I'm hog hunting and a legal deer comes in during season and shooting hours, I'll take a shot.

However, I really don't understand the reasoning. I honor the rule and don't question it since the lease manager is in charge, but I also hunt plenty of times for hogs when no one else is out there. I imagine if someone wanted to poach deer out there, they would just do it when it's not deer season and no one is out there. I can kind of understand it if it was keep to activity to a minimum during non-legal hours, but then again, if I shoot a hog in my area at midnight then am out by one in the morning, am I going to mess up another lease members' whitetail hunt the next morning?

Comment

I like to be settled in no less than 1 hour before the feeder goes off.

Comment

Working...
                              X