Moving To Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving To Montana

I've been working as a contractor for the last 7 years, with a lot of those on the road. In April of 2016 I took a gig with Boeing in Helena, and fell in love with the area. The work and the people were great, but I missed home. Had an opportunity to come home after being up there a year. I took it and came home.

About 5 months in, Helena calls and asks if I would like to work from home for them. It seems they couldn't find anyone to take my place. Well, a chance to work from home was more than I could resist, so I went back to work for them. This time from home. Fast forward to February, the boss calls and asks me if I would like to go direct for them. It would mean having to move up there. The wife and I discussed it. She wasn't too sure at first as our youngest was in her last year of college and wasn't working. But the more we discussed it and got to looking at houses up there, she started coming around. Now I think she is more excited for the move than I am.

Well, the wheels on the Boeing bus turn, but they turn SLOW. They were finally given the green light in April to post the position. After the required interviews, I was made an offer. Money wise, it was kinda low. I countered and really didn't expect them to accept my offer. Came home from a lease trip and low and behold, they accepted my counter, in total. I in turn accepted the job offer and started the background checks.

This process started on July 31st. I was told 2 to 3 weeks to get through the process. September 5th I was cleared. Now, I'm not sure how many days they have in THEIR calendar, but that was a few more than 3 weeks. Come to find out, they couldn't verify my degree. Now, there are 2 kickers to this. First one is I was employed by Boeing for 11 years, they verified my degree then, why couldn't they use that? Second, the position doesn't require a degree as long as you have at least 8 years experience. I have that, and then some.

Because we were told 2 to 3 weeks, we put our house on the market during the 3rd week. House sold in 5 days. Now we have sold the house, but don't have a start date. We didn't get any real confirmation until the relocation people called this past Monday to start the process (I still haven't received and official start date/orientation e-mail). We sign the house over tomorrow, and have to be out by next Friday and will be on the road to Montana sometime Friday.

Momma and I are looking forward to the move and being up in the mountains. We hate to leave the youngest, but she has graduated and has a job here and loves it. We have friends that will help keep an eye on her and help as she needs it, so that makes it a little easier.

All of this wouldn't be that big of a deal, except I put in for and got drawn for a non-resident elk tag for Montana. My brother and 2 buddies from high school also put in and got drawn. We had plans to hunt for 2 weeks there. We upgraded equipment, poured over maps, constant back and forth with texts and phone calls and had meals figured out. With the background check taking so long, I was unable to go. I will be able to chase them with the rifle, but was really hoping to go with the guys.

I have made a bunch of friends here and will miss them all. I've been on the same lease for 10 years and leaving that and the guys on it has been one of the hardest things about the move.

Now all I need to do is upgrade my waders, get some ice fishing gear and I'll be set for a while. Looking forward to exploring all the sights Montana has to offer.

Good luck!

Comment

Lucky dog! I miss my home state something fierce! Can't say Helena would be my first choice of living spots, but that's partly because of distance from family. The fishing and hunting by Helena is awesome though!

Comment

Good Luck and enjoy! I have wanted to make the move there myself ever since I went for a backpacking trip. Something about the state I just liked. Safe travels!

Comment

Good luck, Montana is about the only place I would live outside of Texas.

Comment

That's Black Butte this past July. The cool temps sure are nice during the summer but I think -20 would kill me.

Comment

I’m jealous that’s for sure. Spent a good bit of time on the west side of the state all up and down Hwy 93, and just Friday I hit the east side for the first time. It’s beautiful there too. I’d love to wake up to that every day!

Comment

Congrats and enjoy!

Comment

I hope to do the same thing one day myself. Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Where's that lease that your on located? Lol Montana is awesome. I'd move there if it wasnt for the snow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Gonna miss you and Mama, Ken. Locate those walleye for me next summer. And yall always got a seat in my duck blind waiting for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        Gonna miss you and Mama, Ken. Locate those walleye for me next summer. And yall always got a seat in my duck blind waiting for ya.
                        Will do Mike!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
                          Where's that lease that your on located? Lol Montana is awesome. I'd move there if it wasnt for the snow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                          Lease was in Quanah. We had a waiting list of guys wanting to get on. [emoji23][emoji23]

The snow isn't bad. Nothing like what we get here, but that's because it's freaking cold. [emoji33][emoji33][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats.
                            I have contemplated moving up that way myself. With a young family, it could be an adventure. Haven’t locked down if we are going CO, WY, or MN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure you carry a gun you can and know how to use in bear country! I am envious. I would love to move to the high country before I am to old to enjoy.

"The mountains are calling and I must go"- John Muir

Comment

Working...
                              X