Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 09-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
TWP
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo
Default Single Bevel Sharpening

Hey guys, I am finishing up my elk hunt prep, and working on my broadheads and I canít seem to get them as sharp as everyone else. I am shooting 200 grain RMSGEAR cutthroats and I have the the KME Broadhead sharpening jig. But I canít seem to get them where I want them. I have tried course stone, fine stone and strop. Tried course and fine diamond stone and even bought about 5 different grits of sand paper to try that method as well. It sure makes them pretty and can see your reflection in them, but still arenít nearly sharp enough. Not sure if Iím just pushing too hard, not hard enough, not doing enough strokes, etc. Iíve watched every **** YouTube video I can, and everyone else can shave with them. Me...not at all. Any suggestions? I leave Thursday and donít want to have to find the **** grinder wheels since I already have the kme guide. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
Dkincaid
Eight Point

I finish mine on a Rada it gives a micro bevel on the off side and gets them super sharp very quickly. Your mileage may vary but for me itís easy and works well

Dkincaid is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 04:50 AM   #3
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere they let me in!

Iíve only been using single bevel heads for two seasons now, and I too have watched every video I could find. I bought a KME sharpener this year thinking it would be easier but honestly was disappointed so I went back to the sand paper.
As mentioned in post above, the ďmicroĒ bevel on the opposite side is what really seems to make the difference in slightly sharp and RAZOR SHARP. Once I started paying more attention to the offside Bevel, my heads became much much sharper

MedicineMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
As mentioned in post above, the ďmicroĒ bevel on the opposite side is what really seems to make the difference in slightly sharp and RAZOR SHARP. Once I started paying more attention to the offside Bevel, my heads became much much sharper

This is correct.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
chackworth3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson county, Oklahoma

This is what has worked best for me. I mark the edge with a sharpie and use a file to make sure I’m making even passes. Use the rough side for the first several passes until you start getting a bur and then lightly take the bur off then do the same with the fine side. Like was said above your mileage may vary
chackworth3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
BernieH
Four Point

Hunt In: Mason County

Raising and removing the burr is the key. You can apply a tiny bevel on the flat side and that will help but you must raise a burr. The burr gets smaller with every finer grit of stone.
BernieH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
MEsquivel
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas/Mexico

What time do you leave on Thursday?
I can mail you my RADA if you think it will get there in time.
You can send it back whenever you get back from your hunt.
MEsquivel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #8
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Takin notes over here Boss.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
DRT
Pope & Young

That's what the strokes from the back side do. Work down and remove the burr just like with a double bevel. I don't take the approach of a 'micro bevel' but just run it flat to get the same results. The burr will cut but if approached from only one side it gets rolled and that is the worst scenario.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #10
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Hmmm - y'all have got me thinking. I switched last year to Grizzly Samurai single bevels. I am careful to remove the burr but I have thought it was important to keep the flat side flat - otherwise it is not really a single bevel. (?) I get them sharp enough to easily catch on my fingernail and they will cut hair but not cleanly shave it. How do you put a "micro-bevel" on the flat side? It seems a Rada or similar sharpener would remove steel on both sides equally.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Hmmm - y'all have got me thinking. I switched last year to Grizzly Samurai single bevels. I am careful to remove the burr but I have thought it was important to keep the flat side flat - otherwise it is not really a single bevel. (?) I get them sharp enough to easily catch on my fingernail and they will cut hair but not cleanly shave it. How do you put a "micro-bevel" on the flat side? It seems a Rada or similar sharpener would remove steel on both sides equally.
What I was thinking too...but it seemed from the responses the Rada was very last step. 1,2, light strokes and done...?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
Dkincaid
Eight Point

The Rada removes very little material the true bevel is huge on one side and tiny on the other. The big bevel is what causes the s cut the tiny bevel just makes it sharp. For me Iíd rather have ultra sharp and a tiny bevel on one side than kinda sharp and a flat side. Basically the tiny bevel is just cleaning the burr off to the eye you can barley see the bevel.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
cbc0905
Four Point

Hunt In: Coleman

All you need is a file and your truck windshield! Good luck. I can only get mine butter knife sharp. Wish I had this guy's skills.

https://youtu.be/5umxVy7uhLM

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
cbc0905 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkincaid View Post
The Rada removes very little material the true bevel is huge on one side and tiny on the other. The big bevel is what causes the s cut the tiny bevel just makes it sharp. For me Iíd rather have ultra sharp and a tiny bevel on one side than kinda sharp and a flat side. Basically the tiny bevel is just cleaning the burr off to the eye you can barley see the bevel.

You reckon I could do the same thing with one of these? May have to experiment a bit

Name:  g5.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  3.9 KB
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #15
Dkincaid
Eight Point

I think so very light strokes after you have it already sharp then light strop on leather

Old 09-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #16
PigOPs
Six Point

Try raising a burr and then polishing the burr off. I have used a leather strop to do this but I've heard a buffing wheel on a cheap bench grinder works wonders. Think I may try that next.

BTW I have the same broadheads and have no problem getting them scary shaving sharp
PigOPs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #17
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

Maintain the factory bevel, and use very light pressure, and you'll get them shaving sharp.

It's all in learning how to use the tools you have in hand, and some tools are much better than others.

I use the cardboard wheels on a bench grinder, and I can sharpen them scary shaving sharp in usually less than a minute per head. I wouldn't trade the wheels for a barrel full of any other kind of sharpeners even though I know how to use most of them.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #18
DRT
Pope & Young

The bench wheels work great. Tough to take on an elk hunt though.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #19
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBarbee View Post
Maintain the factory bevel, and use very light pressure, and you'll get them shaving sharp.

It's all in learning how to use the tools you have in hand, and some tools are much better than others.

I use the cardboard wheels on a bench grinder, and I can sharpen them scary shaving sharp in usually less than a minute per head. I wouldn't trade the wheels for a barrel full of any other kind of sharpeners even though I know how to use most of them.

Rick
Okay...maybe dumb question... but Id like to know...since Ive seen fellas mentioning whittling down 1by mdf round cut outs and mounting in grinders...shaping with chisels...then sharpening knives and broadheads...

Which direction should the wheel be turning versus the cutting edge.. Away or towards the edge?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #20
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Okay...maybe dumb question... but Id like to know...since Ive seen fellas mentioning whittling down 1by mdf round cut outs and mounting in grinders...shaping with chisels...then sharpening knives and broadheads...

Which direction should the wheel be turning versus the cutting edge.. Away or towards the edge?

Thanks.
Away from the edge.

Don't try using the wheels with the edge turned into them.
The edge will bite into the wheel, and the result could be serious injury.

It's not a good idea to try to sharpen 3 blade broadheads on the wheels for that very reason. I tried it once. Never again

Thought I was steady handed enough to keep the top blade from edging into the wheel. I was wrong. It caught, slung the broadhead (Big Rothar Snuffer) right past my left ear, and buried it out of sight into the door jam 5 foot behind me. I was lucky. A little more to the right, and it would have shot it right through my head.

Rick
Old 09-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #21
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Dang! Got it. Thanks.

Minute 3:25
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jDKaFB5kX0M
DIY MDF buffer wheel
Old 09-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #22
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Dang! Got it. Thanks.

Minute 3:25
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jDKaFB5kX0M
DIY MDF buffer wheel
The Razor Sharp wheels have increased in price considerably (about doubled) since I first started using them. Still worth every penny though in my opinion.

The MDF looks interesting, but I'm a little leery of it.
MDF will crack, and could sling out chunks, or even disintegrate.

Another thing is heat dissipation.
The cardboard wheels do not heat up.
The MDF is dense enough, I suspect it might get hot, and overheat the edges causing them to loose temper/soften.

That said - I have some quality MDF laying around. I might build a wheel & try it.

Rick

Last edited by RickBarbee; 09-13-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #23
TWP
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Ok guys, just went Fred Bear on these things with a file and strop and they are good to go, even cut the heck out of my finger doing it! Leave today for Denver
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #24
DRT
Pope & Young

Get em.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #25
cdorrell
Spike

We've always used a large flat-file to put a bevel on them with even strokes per a side on our single bevel Grizzly's/Zwickey's. Lighter strokes as you approach the end of the set.
cdorrell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top