Educate me- off road helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a Honda Pioneer 500- it’s in Montana with our son being generous enough to break it in for me.

I need a helmet, and there’s 2 things I remember being told about them:

- if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet
    - get a Bell

What should I be planning to spend? Looking at Amazon prices I’m guessing $150-$200?

I have no plans to do motocross in the future, it’s just for the P500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive ridden dirt bikes on and off my whole life. I have an arai vx pro 4 helmet now and it is by far the best helmet I’ve ever had.

Comment

Bell and Arai are on complete opposite extremes of the price and quality spectrum. .

I’d consider most Bells to be entry level, cheap helmets. Arai is top of the line. There’s a whole lot in between too. Shoei is in the middle. Ultimately just make sure whatever you get is either DOT or Snell certified.

Comment

Arai hands down.

Comment

All helmets sold in the USA have a safety rateing with sticker on the inside. What your paying extra for is looks, comfort and weight.

Comment

I rode motorcycles and snowmobiles most of my 20s. I bought the best helmet I could. Arai all the way for bikes, HJC for sleds. Both were way lighter than anything else I put on. I would suggest if you can afford it, get the lightest high end helmet you can. Your neck will thank you after wearing it for two days straight. Just be prepared to pay.

Comment

It doesn’t have a roll cage?

Comment

You won't go fast enough to need one with the 500!!!
                I'm joking, can never be too safe and being in CA, its probably a law you wear it.
                Get what you pay for.

Comment

Arai for me. Have worn their stuff for the last 20 years.

Comment

Yes it has a roll cage.
                    No it’s for Montana/ retirement use.
                    I’m figuring if I screw up somewhere/ somehow I don’t want to spend my retirement in a wheelchair or bed. I went to a co worker’s wife’s memorial service a couple years back. She was a hard core outdoors, rock climbing, mountain biking gal. Wearing an expensive hemet she went over the handlebars of her mountain bike, hit her head on s rock just below the helmet and she died in front of Andrew.

I’ll wear a hemet!

Thanks, I appreciate the inputs.

Comment

I priced the Aria helmets. Are they that expensive because they’re lighter weight and meeting crash/ impact standards?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                        I priced the Aria helmets. Are they that expensive because they’re lighter weight and meeting crash/ impact standards?

Combination of things really. Weight, Construction Materials, Last I checked they were still hand made *Been a few years...

Do you have anywhere you can try some on locally? Reason I say that is no matter how much or little you pay for one it won't matter if it's uncomfortable and you don't want to wear it.

Comment

I think your overthinking this.
                          If I was you I would be looking at an open face or half circle helmet for comfort.

Closed faced helmets (ones that cover your jaw) have their flaws too. They limit your visibility. They are also miserable to wear when its hot and when your not constantly moving. Your riding around in a cage and I am guessing you won't be racing the thing so go more for comfort and more visibility.

Or look into some aftermarket seat belts?

Nothing wrong with being safe.

Comment

fly racing has good helmets for a good price point. troy lee designs are good as well.you can usually find some good deals on motorsport.com or rockymountainatvmc. Was sponsored by fly for a good while and enjoyed them. The TLD I had was better just because it was lighter and adjustable pads but about 200 bucks difference. not sure it was worth it if I had been paying out of pocket

Comment

I’ve been known to overthink things!

The Pioneer has seat belts.

The local Honda motorsports dealer sells the Fly helmets, $109. I was comfortable for 5 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X