Wanting to get into elk hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texasforever View Post
    No my friend brought up the idea of us going on our first trips together. Planning on going for rifle. But I'll start looking into it. I think the only thing that would be stopping me this coming year is the dates clashing with having college and all

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I never could figure out how to make it work around a college schedule and to be frank not really worth it in my opinion to try and sink that much time into when the degree really needs to be your priority. That said I have been going on some hunt out west every year since I got out of school using just the knowledge I was able to research while in college

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Start with 1 means and 1 state. For example: archery and Colorado. Archery season is in September and normally late September is the rut. You can locate bulls easier when they are screaming. Also and more importantly, archery is over the counter for a little under $700 you can go to Walmart and buy a tag. Buy Onx and find some public land and the boundaries will be Onx. I have a 3 day rule, find a water hole deep in from any roads and set all day for at least 3 days. Do this for about 10 years and you will harvest a nice bull. ��... maybe 2. Any elk is a trophy elk in my opinion. Start studying draws in Arizona and other big elk states. Start putting in every year until you draw. The alternative is spend 5-15k every year and pick an outfitter. At the lower end most Outfitters are around 50-80% opportunity, and it’s important to note I’ve seen Outfitters consider a 500 yard opportunity with a rifle an opportunity. The higher end Outfitters are around 80% opportunity.

Comment

And take it how you like but there are tons of other mountain hunting opportunities available that you can take advantage of as a college student but probably not elk. Think muleys and pronghorn both of which are fun hunts.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
          Start with 1 means and 1 state. For example: archery and Colorado. Archery season is in September and normally late September is the rut. You can locate bulls easier when they are screaming. Also and more importantly, archery is over the counter for a little under $700 you can go to Walmart and buy a tag. Buy Onx and find some public land and the boundaries will be Onx. I have a 3 day rule, find a water hole deep in from any roads and set all day for at least 3 days. Do this for about 10 years and you will harvest a nice bull. ��... maybe 2. Any elk is a trophy elk in my opinion. Start studying draws in Arizona and other big elk states. Start putting in every year until you draw. The alternative is spend 5-15k every year and pick an outfitter. At the lower end most Outfitters are around 50-80% opportunity, and it’s important to note I’ve seen Outfitters consider a 500 yard opportunity with a rifle an opportunity. The higher end Outfitters are around 80% opportunity.
          Thanks for the insight. I want to get back into archery but these payments are a killer on the wallet. Hoping to get out next year and give it a shot with the rifle. If not the year after when im out will be a sure go. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by texasforever View Post
            Thanks for the insight. I want to get back into archery but these payments are a killer on the wallet. Hoping to get out next year and give it a shot with the rifle. If not the year after when im out will be a sure go. Thanks!

2nd season Rifle is over the counter in CO. There also is often a 2nd rut during this time. Gas, tag, and groceries you could do it for $1,000-$1,200... if you roughed it in a tent.

Comment

You're not going to give it a fair shake hunting elk in college, unless college is in elk country. My advice is start saving money. Try to kill your debt. Live as cheap as possible. Ace your tests, and spend your efforts on getting internships/summer jobs in the major you are getting. If you come out of school with a good resume, you can look for a job in elk country!

Comment

I have been seeing UW bull tags in the 1500-2000 range these last couple of weeks. If you have time and are ready to go you could probably get on a pretty decent bull not to expensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Starting out, elk hunting can be as simple or as complex as you make it. There are a lot of guys on here that know way more than me, but I think you could break it out into 3 very general areas to start looking at/thinking about:

The where/when/how of hunting elk
                  Gear
                  Fitness

Based on the post above, sounds like you've got the how with a rifle hunt. If you're going for rifle, there's only a couple states you can get an OTC tag. That should limit your where options pretty easily. Colorado has the most elk of of any state, but it also gets the most pressure. It's the closest elk hunting with unlimited opportunity so most guys from the Midwest, East, and even down here go there. Just be prepared mentally to know that you probably won't be alone in the woods but don't let it detract from your experience. Our elk hole is 13 miles from where we park and we've had company the past two years back there. Very generally speaking, OTC rifle season would mean the rut is over so most of the calling information you find online won't be as applicable as it will during the rut. For the most part you have winter coming, colder weather, and elk worn down from the rut, so food sources or migration corridors are things to key in on.

The gear can get as expensive as your budget allows. If you're trying to go on a budget, don't think you have to drop $10k in gear to go hunting. Buy the highest quality pack and boots you can afford, and you can piece-meal the rest. If you have the budget quality gear definitely helps, but it's not a requirement. You also don't need things like a spotting scope for OTC elk. There's a Rich Outdoors podcast on elk hunting/gear on a college budget. Give that a listen.

Fitness was stated earlier and it can't be emphasized enough. You can find elk in lower elevations that aren't as intense , but most of those areas would not be found in a Colorado OTC rifle hunt. Lots of guys kill them at 10k feet during rifle season so spend as much time as you can working on your cardio endurance, legs, and walking with a weighted pack on your back. Like most public land, the farther you get from main trails/trailheads, the less pressure you will find.

Good luck in your endeavor. It's not as overwhelming as it seems as long as you do your part with the reading, research, and training.
                  Last edited by MooseontheLoose; 08-19-2018, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all of the input! I may try for a mulie or pronghorn as stated before just to get out there and experience it. Seems like amazing country to experience yet very challenging.

Comment

Online resources

Elk101 about $100

Elknut app it is worth the ten dollars even if you are experienced

Comment

Get online now and buy some PP for elk , deer and or antelope in Wyoming.
                        Cow/calf elk tags are pretty cheap, some areas open in Aug but I would hunt elk in Aug.
                        Colorado has the largest elk herds in US but also the most hunters. Hunting in Wyoming is much different, not near as many folks in any given area. We hunt general elk areas most years and hardly ever run into other hunters in the field. Lots of road hunters though.
                        For antelope, Wyoming has great hunting and with 4 PP you can draw a good area with good access, might even draw a great tag in the random part of the draw while you build points.
                        Colorado has a great OTC tag system that gets you hunting every year if wanted. I would utilize it and build some PP for better hunting experience later.

Comment

Watch Randy Newberg videos and listen to podcast in the off season, a lot of helpful information.

Comment

Working...
                          X