School rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School rant

There was a student walk out on Friday. I'll comment on the HS I know sine I have no idea what happened at other schools. My daughter told me about said walk out a few days prior. She said it was stupid because the kids were brainwashed into being anti-guns hence the walk out. While I was away at the ranch an e-mail comes in from the principal. It was absurd. He said the e-mail was to inform parents of a peaceful protest at the school to honor the 17 deaths in the school shooting. Basically kids were allowed to protest. My daughter and nephew said it was 100% anti-gun protest that lasted +/- 2 hours and that's what all the kids were chanting and what everything they read prior to the walk out said it was for. So I assume the principal covered his rear by saying it was to honor victims hence it was not anything political.

Long story short it's a sad day when kids can do this and not get in trouble. Yes I send a harsh e-mail to the principal but if I get a reply I know it will be a bunch of BS words. I asked if my kid could organize a walk out for something she believes in without getting into trouble. If it wouldn't affect her I'd get her to do a big pro gun walk out.

I'm still appalled they let the kids do this. They should have told them they could do it on their lunch break or before/after school if they wanted.

Rant over....

Wow! Thanks for informing us of this matter.

Comment

It seems more and more these days the kids are setting the agenda at school instead of the faculty.
      My kids would be diligently sitting at their desk during this stupidity or there would be he'll to pay at home

Comment

This happened at my High school, Anderson High School in Northwest hills Austin.

Essentially the same as you stated, was said to be to honor those who died but was really a bunch of high school kids saying gun laws need to be stricter etc. I was informed by one of my teachers that it's in their contract that they can't participate in student protests and I know of several teachers who had their classes meet them out front where the "protest" was taking place.

Needless to say I'm sure you can tell I don't agree with this absurd nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by QuackHunter View Post
          This happened at my High school, Anderson High School in Northwest hills Austin.

Essentially the same as you stated, was said to be to honor those who died but was really a bunch of high school kids saying gun laws need to be stricter etc. I was informed by one of my teachers that it's in their contract that they can't participate in student protests and I know of several teachers who had their classes meet them out front where the "protest" was taking place.

Needless to say I'm sure you can tell I don't agree with this absurd nonsense.

I went to Anderson for about 6 months my sophomore year.
          It wasn't a good fit for a country boy surrounded by a bunch of yuppies

Comment

We had a walkout when I was in high school in protest of how minorities are "persecuted." 99% of the walkers just wanted an excuse to leave campus and be stupid. Those of us who didn't leave just shook our heads as the administration did nothing. Pathetic.

Comment

Doesn't the school organizing the walkout completely nullify the purpose of civil disobedience? Kids can't even protest without complying.

Honoring the FL students is one issue, the narrow minded anti-gun rhetoric is unacceptable. An actual moment to delve into serious, complicated societal matters is reduced to parroting dogma.

Comment

Well I saw an email from the principal of my kids school. I asked my kid about it. He said it was really nothing. Said a few girls that wear boys cloths and a couple guys that wear makeup stood out by the flagpole yelling about guns and everyone else went on to class.

Comment

I guess I don’t disagree with letting them voice their opinion AS LONG as they allow those with the opposite opinion (kids who are Pro 2A) to voice theirs as well in the exact same format. I do however think it should be done outside of normal school hours.

Comment

and that is why I pulled my kids from Leander ISD to Liberty Hill some 9 years ago and glad I did.

Comment

You have to realize these are the same kids that brought us the Tide Pod Challenge.

Comment

Out of curiosity, are walks supposed to be where you walk out and not come back for the rest of the day? If it lasted only 2 hrs, isn't that throwing a tantrum? And yeah, most high school kids don't give 2 poops of what they are "protesting". They just see it as out of school time. I would be interested to know what the Superintendents POV is.

Comment

Originally posted by pigstika1978 View Post
                          I went to Anderson for about 6 months my sophomore year.
                          It wasn't a good fit for a country boy surrounded by a bunch of yuppies

Yeah most of the people there think I'm the biggest redneck and I just tell them not even close, you should meet my extended family lol. I've got friends there that hunt and fish but most everyone I know there are yuppie

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                            Out of curiosity, are walks supposed to be where you walk out and not come back for the rest of the day? If it lasted only 2 hrs, isn't that throwing a tantrum? And yeah, most high school kids don't give 2 poops of what they are "protesting". They just see it as out of school time. I would be interested to know what the Superintendents POV is.
                            I did just read where 18% of children are obese, so at least they are getting some exercise. Maybe they should have a "protest" every morning.

On a more serious note, it is a shame that the fervor over guns isn't the same for obesity/type 2 diabetes. Talk about a real killer.

Comment

Originally posted by cabo390 View Post
                              I did just read where 18% of children are obese, so at least they are getting some exercise. Maybe they should have a "protest" every morning.

On a more serious note, it is a shame that the fervor over guns isn't the same for obesity/type 2 diabetes. Talk about a real killer.
                              They should stage a mandatory 1 hour.....walk out, around the campus for daily exercise.

Comment

Working...
                              X