elevated rest on a recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

elevated rest on a recurve

i know most hard core trad guys would say stick to the shelf one less thing to go wrong or break. over the last 10 years ive enjoyed shooting the trad bows i have, have some great memories hunting with my recurves only have 23 kills but i still struggle past 20 yards my maximum range for hunting is around 17 yards which i feel very comfortable at 17 or less. ;lately on some older Bear recurves ive noticed some of them having the Bear weather rest after doing some searching and talking people say they have improved accuracy using an elevated rest i realize there is no substitute for bad form ancoring steady bow hand and follow through. im strictly a gap shooter although distances less then 20 comes automatic now ive shot enough with my kodiak mag that it comes natural, i also shoot 3 fingers under. ive tried split finger in 10 years could never get consistant. what are you alls opinion of trying a bear weather rest? some famous hunters have used elvated rests i know its not the Trad thing to do i already have gotten a hard time on another site. ive seen my daughter win 3-D tournaments using a stick on bear rest and to this day she still can outshoot me

I would never use the shelve unless I was shooting soft feather fletch. Even then you could get an extra bump as the fletch passes over the shelf (if I understand what you're asking above). I've always used a stick on rest. Just seems to make sense.

Comment

There are lots of guys who use elevated rests. There is nothing wrong or non-traditional about them. I say give it a try, and if you notice enough accuracy improvement, then stay with it, especially if your focus is on hunting. There are some 3D shoots that will not allow them, but if your focus is on hunting, who cares?

Btw, I have killed a ton of critters with my trad bows, and have only shot a handful past 17yds. The farther out you stretch it, the bigger the chance that something can go wrong!

Bisch

Comment

I would be shocked if any TBHers would give a hard time to another member over their choice of hunting methods.... I personally prefer the shelf, mainly because I wouldn't want a rest to get hung up in brush or knocked off. And, yes, feathers are pretty much necessary to avoid porpoising of arrows, such as plastic vanes can cause when hitting the back of the shelf.

Comment

I am a diehard trad shooter... that being clarified up front, I can honestly say that if you shoot better with a stick-on rest then I say use it! Do not give in to peer pressure as trad gear is a matter of personal preference and how we set it up and how we use it is no one elses business. If they give you a hard time about it then disassociate yourself with those individuals. I have tried an elevated rest on my bow and I too can shoot better with a stick on rest. (On my recurve) I switched recently to try and see how I shoot off the shelf on my recurve and can tell you there are days I can shoot great. With the sticky rest I shot more consistently though! If I missed my spot it was not far off and (I shoot only 2 arrows at a time) my second shot was right there with the first shot. Also found (not sure if this is true or in my feeble old mind) that a minor flub on my part was less magnified with the stick on rest.

I know I am going to get blasted for the above but, I just started shooting a recurve - shot longbows for well over 38 years. If I am going to get blasted guys make sure it is directed toward me for the above and not for anything else that is bugging you at this moment in time.

P.S. - I am not going to argue about any of the above as it is more a feeling than something I can validate at this time.

Comment

Although I've never tried it, it certainly makes sense that you would have fewer clearance issues with a rest. There is a reason the hard core target archers use them. BTW, one of the things I like about this place - unlike some other forums where I lurk - you don't get a lot of people trying to "out trad" each other. As long as there are no wheels and only one string it's all traditional as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I agree with everyone else here. Generally a stick on rest will give you better accuracy and consistency. Do what you need to shoot to the best you can and if that means the elevated rest works for you do it. Don't limit yourself to someone else's definition of what traditional archery is or should be.

Comment

Just a thought...how about a feather rest? Kinda the best of both worlds.

Comment

I personally don't like elevated rests, but I don't think they are non-traditional. If it works for you, go for it. I find that an elevated rest puts the arrow too far above my hand and when I cant the bow it moves the arrow too far out of line.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    There are lots of guys who use elevated rests. There is nothing wrong or non-traditional about them. I say give it a try, and if you notice enough accuracy improvement, then stay with it, especially if your focus is on hunting. There are some 3D shoots that will not allow them, but if your focus is on hunting, who cares?

Btw, I have killed a ton of critters with my trad bows, and have only shot a handful past 17yds. The farther out you stretch it, the bigger the chance that something can go wrong!

Bisch
                    howie1968, there is absolutely zero reason for you to read beyond this quoted post.

I have not read all the responses, so I hope no one takes offense to this.
                    Bisch covered it. Didn't need to read further.

Rick

Comment

Thank you men, yalls response is what i was looking for. thats why i came to the green screen as i know yall would shoot straight on an opinion. i ordered 2 bear weather rests and they are on there way. once again thanks for the responses

Comment

how high should i mount it? do i mount it so the feathers dont touch the shelf? i shoot 3 fingers under so i know im gonna have to adjust nock height and maybe brace height

Comment

If you are interested, I can send you the best elevated "trad" rest I have found. After many years of shooting a longbow, I am now shooting a recurve with an elevated rest and really like it. I think you will too. Here is a photo. I make them out of a toothbrush and they work great and help to keep the arrow on the rest when under pressure.

PM me if you are interested.

Comment

Hey Jeff, can you take a pic from the back of the bow looking out towards the front? I'm interested to see that profile of your rest.

Thanks for the props, Rick!

Bisch
                            Last edited by Bisch; 06-23-2014, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Jeff's toothbrush rests are cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X