X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fletching Sounds Comparison

All fletching were 4" parabolic.

Vanes are way quieter than feathers.

Turbulators do help stabilize the arrow, but make very little difference in sound. All three arrows were shot from 15 yards, and passed by the camera at 8 inches.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Rick

Ok! I still ain’t gonna shoot plastic vanes! [emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      Ok! I still ain’t gonna shoot plastic vanes! [emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      But, you might be interested in some turbulators.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
        But, you might be interested in some turbulators.

Rick
        Ive only heard Dr Ashby use the word turbulator...concerning breaking the lamina air flow? Still not sure what it means.

Comment

Rick where do you buy your Marco vanes?

Comment

I did that one year with my phone. I found feathers louder as well. And down range a Blazer on a hard helical was loud as well (I was shooting 50 yards with a compound). I wish I knew you were doing this, I fletched some target arrows with Flex Flex FFP-300 and I would be curious to hear how they sound. I would have mailed you 3 to fletch up a test arrow. They are low profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
              Ive only heard Dr Ashby use the word turbulator...concerning breaking the lamina air flow? Still not sure what it means.
              I got it from the Doc. They work too. You can use a much smaller flecthing when using them, and still get great arrow stabilization.

Only thing I do different is - I use 1/16" diameter o-rings instead of messing with the tape. Just have to find o-rings that are real tight on the shaft, plus the o-rings are easily adjusted/moved to find their best placement, which will need to be different for different size fletchings.

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
              Rick where do you buy your Marco vanes?
              Mullen Sales on Ebay

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
              I did that one year with my phone. I found feathers louder as well. And down range a Blazer on a hard helical was loud as well (I was shooting 50 yards with a compound). I wish I knew you were doing this, I fletched some target arrows with Flex Flex FFP-300 and I would be curious to hear how they sound. I would have mailed you 3 to fletch up a test arrow. They are low profile.
              When time allows, I will be doing more, and adding them to a video cache.

For now I just wanted to show the difference between vanes & feathers of the same size & shape, and try to see if there was any difference between the vanes, and the vanes with turbulators.

The turbulators made them a very slightly different tone, and a very slightly lower Db, but the amount of difference was so small as to be insignificant in my opinion.

Rick
              Last edited by RickBarbee; 03-13-2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I have the FLP-300, not FFP sorry. My memory is not so great lately haha.

Comment

Here's an audio only at 1/4 speed with the volume boosted some for better hearing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.

Rick

Comment

I'm so hard of hearing it doesn't matter anyway. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE Rick ] I got it from the Doc. They work too. You can use a much smaller flecthing when using them, and still get great arrow stabilization.

Only thing I do different is - I use 1/16" diameter o-rings instead of messing with the tape. Just have to find o-rings that are real tight on the shaft, plus the o-rings are easily adjusted/moved to find their best placement, which will need to be different for different size fletchings.[QUOTE]

Nice touch. Im gonna try the o-rings...Ive got some in the catchall bucket in the truck. Once adjusted...set with just a dab of superglue? Thanks for the tip Rick.

Byron

Comment

I'm not gluing mine, and they are staying put, but they are real tight on the shaft.

The recommended forward of fletching placement is 1/4", but that is for very small fletching. I found through moving them back & forth, that 3/4" forward works best for me, and my 4" fletching.

That's the great thing about the 0-rings. You can easily/quickly play around with them to find the best spot for your particular fletching.

Rick

Comment

I have had several folks tell me that my 5-1/2" banana cut feathers were so loud that I would never be able to kill anything with them

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                            I have had several folks tell me that my 5-1/2" banana cut feathers were so loud that I would never be able to kill anything with them

http://buffsblackwidow.com/oldvideos/control.wmv
                            Obviously !

I used to use them big ole bananas too.
                            Used them exclusively for many years, and killed lots of critters with them, but I still like getting my arrows as quiet in flight as possible.

Rick

Comment

This is the sound of the full 20 yard flight path of:

one arrow with low profile 3 X 4" plastic vanes

one arrow with low profile 3 X 4" feathers

Both shot at the camera, and over it at 12". The camera was placed at 15 yards

Sound slowed to 1/8th normal speed.

I admit, shooting at the camera made them sound very close, but keep in mind, the 4" parabolic feathers are one of (if not) the quietest variety/cut, yet there is an audible/distinguishable difference.

Which is which?

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X