Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA ---winch up feeders ---caution

for folks that have winch up feeders... please check the pulleys/bolts

I filled up a feeder and as my son was winching it up...BAM straight down.

turns out the top bolt that holds the pulley sheered in half. The sleeve that goes over the bolt was all but gone. Not sure what happened, but the sleeve was ate up and the pulley hole was reamed out as well.
    Tripod top was a few years old. Gonna send picture to the manufacturer and let them know what happened. Also gonna go by tractor supply and get grade 8 bolts and replace all bolts/sleeves in my two set ups.

now I got to rebuild the timer/motor housing. Not sure what survived.

Good reason to use stand and fills. I have 3 feeders at the lease and 2 are winch ups. The 2 winch ups will be stand and fills by n ct season

Comment

I had the cable break on one of mine once. They are dangerous as H***.....having said that, I have six of them. I am just parinoid that no ones is near when cranking them up.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
        I had the cable break on one of mine once. They are dangerous as H***.....having said that, I have six of them. I am just parinoid that no ones is near when cranking them up.
        That is why I stress to my son to NEVER stand under one.

Comment

One of the major rules at my last two jobs "never stand under a suspended load". Great rule outside of work as well. Glad no one was hurt.

Comment

I had a cable broke and yes it can sure get your attention. I always have to shoo my Lab Duke away from the area when lowering or raising them.

Glad you and your son are okay.

Comment

You cannot over-engineer one of those contraptions.
              Glad no one was injured.

Comment

I had a cable break on one of mine this year. Looking into going to stand and fill.

Comment

PSA ---winch up feeders ---caution

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                  One of the major rules at my last two jobs "never stand under a suspended load". Great rule outside of work as well. Glad no one was hurt.

I guess coming from a Heavy Equipment background that’s second nature though very few listen to that advice.

I check my sheaves every year and spray some grease on them for good measure. You can fall off a stand as easily as a barrel falling on you. Also if using wire rope clamps too secure the barrel to the wire rope NEVER SADDLE A DEAD HORSE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I check mine all the time. Will continue eith a winch up as I replaced the cables and pulleys and such last year. I love how these sill throw corn in a widespread area snd keep the deer in a feeder area longer looking for corn. Mine as high as they are will throw corn in a 20 yard circle.

Comment

Man, glad ya dodged a bullet on the feeder fail. They are great feeders, but ya got to be careful.

Comment

Glad y'all are ok! I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Stand and fill. Life is to short to get killed by a feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

my wife almost lost a foot last year due to a cable snapping!!

Last edited by etxccampbell; 02-04-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Three of us filled one. It had chains between the legs. We were guiding it up with arms over the chains. When it got to the top the cable broke and *&^t happens quick. All I lost was some skin and two sore elbows. My buddy had his jeans ripped down one side and we had to take out the first aid kit for the cuts. Stand and fill for me from now on.

Comment

Working...
                              X