Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking chunked pork butt...need some direction..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking chunked pork butt...need some direction..

In honor of Chew.......As the title says

I need to smoke some pork butt chunks. I have about 50 lbs of PBs cut up in 2-3" chunks ready to make sausage but unfortunately my group could never coordinate a date to get it down and its much too hot to do so now....I don't want it to go to waste so here I am never having smoked chunks of anything before.

One of the 10lb bags will go to carne guisada, but I was wanting to smoke the rest for some up coming lease work weekends and hunt weekends. I've never smoke chunks of anything so I'm looking for some confirmation. Now I am not doing all remaining 40lbs in one smoke..... prob 20lbs at a time so I was thinking of doing it in large pans at regular 250-275 temp and smoking then mixing/flipping the chunks and smoking some more and then wrapping pan to finish off. I'm assuming it will finish much quicker as well since its not once big hunk of meat.

Anybody ever tried this. I'd like to go into it with some folks' past experiences/direction and not fly by the seat of my pants. I have heard of folks doing beef cheeks and carnitas but have never done anything like it myself.
    Last edited by Smart; 06-26-2017, 11:15 AM.

I've never done it. I don't see why your game plan wouldn't work though.

Comment

Liquid Smoke and a Coleman stove. Best ever.

Comment

Fat cap up or down?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          Fat cap up or down?
          or all around..

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
            you had me until I saw the gas grill..

Comment

Classic response!

Comment

Sprinkle generous amount of brown sugar and your favorite rub (we used tex joy butt and rib tickler) and store in fridge overnight. Then smoke at 225 degrees until done (about 1.5 hours depending on cut size). The brown sugar will cure the meat and cut down on smoke time. Basically you are making Tasso.

Comment

so Smart needs help with a Chunky Butt............Who'd a thunk it!

Comment

Add some sliced onions and peppers to the pan for added flavor.

Comment

My son and I actually made some tasty chunked pork shoulder at camp this weekend with a Coleman stove. Turned it on full blast and put a cast iron pan on it until hot. Put the cut up pork shoulder, which had already been rubbed with rib rub, straight on the pan. Seared the living **** out of it then covered it with foil. Kept it on high heat the whole time. The foil trapped the steam and juices and the chunks basically braised themselves tender in about 20mins. We were surprised at how good it came out. Ate it all with our hands which may have added to the enjoyment

Comment

Originally posted by theloneranger View Post
                        Sprinkle generous amount of brown sugar and your favorite rub (we used tex joy butt and rib tickler) and store in fridge overnight. Then smoke at 225 degrees until done (about 1.5 hours depending on cut size). The brown sugar will cure the meat and cut down on smoke time. Basically you are making Tasso.

I'm not looking to cure it or make tasso. I'm looking to make it shred-able....like pulled pork with more surface area for bark.

Gonna be like burnt ends on a brisket but starting off raw already chunked and shredded instead of kept in individual chunks.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          I need to smoke some pork butt chunks. I have about 50 lbs of PBs cut up in 2-3" chunks ready to make sausage but unfortunately my group could never coordinate a date to get it down and its much too hot to do so now....I don't want it to go to waste so here I am never having smoked chunks of anything before.
                          I agree it's too hot to be stuffing and smoking links now, but if you still have the venison, have you considered using some of that pork for pan sausage? Or just grinding it up to use in recipes like taco soup, enchiladas, or eggrolls?

Whatever you decide to do, post up the results. I have smoked half a butt before but never in chunks.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane View Post
                            I agree it's too hot to be stuffing and smoking links now, but if you still have the venison, have you considered using some of that pork for pan sausage? Or just grinding it up to use in recipes like taco soup, enchiladas, or eggrolls?

Whatever you decide to do, post up the results. I have smoked half a butt before but never in chunks.
                            Sure... I can always find some use for it. We even considered making fresh sausage and not cold smoked but I'm needing to smoke 3-4 porkbutts in the next month and I already have the meat just sitting in the freezer idle (plus I could use the room ). I saw somebody on here saying they preferred pulled pork by smoking carnitas so they could get more "bark" for flavor, but haven't been able to get him to answer PMs about it. That's kinda what set me in the direction I am going with it because I have it sitting there now.....and more bark in pulled pork is always a good thing.

Comment

in for results and method.

Comment

Working...
                              X