No announcement yet.

Question about fishing line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take it your talking mono, flourocarbon. My son and myself fished local tournaments for a few years. He still does, and we tried all kinds of lines. From cheap to expensive, and the best we have found is bass pro shops brand. Braids we don't find as big a differance between brands.
    Last edited by critter69; 03-19-2018, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Since this has been brought back up I can’t stress the imprortance of tying the right knot properly . Most fish lost due to line failure is caused by this. The palamor and trilene knot are the best for almost 90% of situations. Take your time tying on new hooks and it’s imperitive to lubricate the line when tightening the knot. Devils in the details.. also check your line, especially mono and fluro for nicks and scrapes. If it’s nicked it’s time to retie
      Last edited by BrandonA; 03-19-2018, 10:11 PM.

Comment

So called professional bass fishermen crack me up.

Comment

I would like an invite to the super duper trophy bass lake he was fishing so that I can observe first hand what issues he may be having. There are to many variables to give an honest opinion on what may be wrong. I have reels spooled with braid,mono , and fluorocarbon. I will gladly give up my time to experiment on said lake and share my findings on which line works best.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            Since this has been brought back up I can’t stress the imprortance of tying the right knot properly . Most fish lost due to line failure is caused by this. The palamor and trilene knot are the best for almost 90% of situations. Take your time tying on new hooks and it’s imperitive to lubricate the line when tightening the knot. Devils in the details.. also check your line, especially mono and fluro for nicks and scrapes. If it’s nicked it’s time to retie
            Or just learn the San Diego Jam. It's been proven to be stronger than either of those knots, all knots actually, and works for braid or mono, and simple to tie.

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
              Braid lasts longer from a lifespan (date of purchase) standpoint than anything. It offers a much greater capacity:strength benefit to mono or fluoro. Imo fluoro offers a greater initial line strength/abrasion resistance but because of the lower stretch is less resistant to breaking than mono once it gets nicked up. Be a line checker with fluoro. Beyond that the mono/fluoro debate is relinquished to the obvious floating vs low stretch trade off. You have a tackle problem you need to address before you get into line choices
              I always understood it as, once Flouro gets knicked, it is more prone to breaking, than mono (exactly what Tex said). Mono can take knicks, and won't split all the way through like flouro. Flouro is tougher at initially resisting those knicks.
              Another fun fact, Flouro stretches more than mono, when it comes to the breaking point, not in a normal situation, like fighting a fish though.

I read your post wrong Tex. My apologies.
              Last edited by MadHatter; 03-20-2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                Or just learn the San Diego Jam. It's been proven to be stronger than either of those knots, all knots actually, and works for braid or mono, and simple to tie.
                Thanks For sharing. Never heard of that knot but will have to learn it

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                  Thanks For sharing. Never heard of that knot but will have to learn it
                  For sure . I was a polymer guy forever, but this is a much better knot.

Comment

If you are saying your monois breaking maybe you have a rough or cracked eye on the tip of your rod.

As far as braid I use power pro. I really like the super slick for spinning gear. I use the regular on bait casting. It can be tough casting into a strong head wind. It will also cast forever with no wind or a tail wind. Buy bigger line to keep line from burrying in the spool. Thinner is not always better. I go thru the polymer knot 2x before bringing my hook or lure thru the loop. No problems what so ever. Also carry colored permanent marker (black, green) to keep the couple few feet of line colored as it will fade some.

Comment

18lb braid is pretty good all around

Comment

50 lb braid for flipping and pitching in Brush or Frogging.
                        When I want to fish a Texas Rig or a Jig I tie on a 15-20lb Fluro leader
                        Only way to go unless fishing top water OR jerkbaits I use Mono
                        I use Palamar Knot for braid and FG OR Crazy Alberto for Braid to Leader. Fluro I use Red Label and tie on a San Diego Jam or Improved Clinch knot and cinch it down slow to prevent line burn.
                        PowerPro braid is the way to go.
                        Last edited by jjaimes; 03-20-2018, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum9 View Post
                          So I fish fresh water mostly but also fish saltwater some with mono. Today I went bass fishing and had my line broke on several occasions. All of my reels were spooled recently so the line is good. I want to switch to braided line and my question is what is the best all around braided line for fresh and saltwater? Any of you saltwater guys have any advice.
                          Gama for me. I like 40# for 99% of what i do. I jump to gama 65# hollow core if im flippn crazy stuff.

Ive switched to trilene knot for braid yet to have one break it since i switched.

I do use floro for cranks and jerkbaits and lighter t-rig. I use a double uni knot knot there. Annoying to learn but stronger than any knot ive used and ive tried them all

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by catslayer; 03-20-2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                            Stay away from braided line. I tried it once and the line takes a lot of wear and tear rubbing up against many things making it very frail. And you have to change it out every year. I lost a ton of fish with it and I will never go back. Stick with mono. Maybe you just got a bad spool. Dump it all and get a new one
                            Bs... havnst swapped braid on some of my rods in 3 years... only time i swap is when i run low on the spool.

check all abrasian resistance tests... braid beats all else. Floro and mono it is a function of line diameter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's the skinny on fishing lines for those interested. The guy is on point and breaks everything down for you.

Comment

thrown braid for years, even have it on my ultralights. i tie a leader and never have any issues. 2 great things about braid: 1 you will feel every rock and stick on the bottom. 2 when you get ready to change it, unspool it from one reel to another and there you go!

Comment

Working...
                                X