Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Under $5 Stocks To Buy? Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out XXII. looking good!
    that's a cool ticker, I didn't know who that was so I looked them up..... that stock seems to be at an all time high right now and is dropping alittle bit. Looks like a year ago would have been the time to buy

Comment

Originally posted by Young gun 12 View Post
      Check out XXII. looking good!
      Bought 1000 of this one as well at $3.82. It was all over the place today.

Comment

whats up with NVAX??? tanking!

Comment

my stop loss is set at $2. would you guys hang on to it past that and see where it goes or bail out?

Comment

I was hoping for a pullback so I could get into more of it cheaper. I think a lot of today’s movement is people taking their profits. This stock is still a gamble with the clinical trials release next few weeks. I’m hoping for the best though

Comment

Stocks trading under $5/share are cheap for a reason. Sometimes they pan out for the upside, but that is not the norm. If you are going to trade low cost/high volume stocks then you better understand stop and limit orders unless you have the time to actively monitor AND the discipline to get out and limit your losses. I don't know if you have a margin account, but if you do you can add some security by trading options against your equity holdings. A margin account will also allow you to sell short. If you just want to get in the market but not actively trade, consider energy and biotech stocks that pay a dividend OR trade ETFs that cover sectors instead of individual stocks.

Comment

How is robinhood free while all these big companies charge $5-7 per trade? I don't understand

And they give you 1 free share for referring someone

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  How is robinhood free while all these big companies charge $5-7 per trade? I don't understand

And they give you 1 free share for referring someone
                  I have explained this above in a link to their website.

Here I will copy and paste:How does Robinhood make money?

With Robinhood Gold, you get up to 2x your buying power and access to after hours trading for as little as $6 per month. This is the only product Robinhood charges you for, and is completely optional. Trading is still commission free.

Additionally, Robinhood earns revenue by collecting interest on the cash and securities in Robinhood accounts, much like a bank collects interest on cash deposits.
                  Last edited by Sunnylab; 01-24-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnylab View Post
                    I have explained this above in a link to their website.

Here I will copy and paste:How does Robinhood make money?

With Robinhood Gold, you get up to 2x your buying power and access to after hours trading for as little as $6 per month. This is the only product Robinhood charges you for, and is completely optional. Trading is still commission free.

Additionally, Robinhood earns revenue by collecting interest on the cash and securities in Robinhood accounts, much like a bank collects interest on cash deposits.
                    Yes I read that. But still why do all these other companies charge then? Will all trades be eventually free?

Makes no sense to go pay per trade when you can do it free and its fully insured also.

Comment

Yes I read that. But still why do all these other companies charge then? Will all trades be eventually free?

Makes no sense to go pay per trade when you can do it free and its fully insured also.
                      I have friends that are too lazy to setup an account and continue to use scotttrade, ameritrade, etc. and pay fees unnecessarily. Makes no sense to me either.

Comment

Originally posted by Young gun 12 View Post
                        my stop loss is set at $2. would you guys hang on to it past that and see where it goes or bail out?
                        Like I said earlier. I am hanging on to this for the release of the clinical trials. If you want to bail at 10% swings sub $5 stocks may be outside your risk envelope. As it has been pointed out by a bunch on this thread, they are below $5 for a reason, volatility and risk is high. Don't invest any money in stocks like this unless you are willing to accept you may lose the money. It is a gamble pure and simple. But I like to gamble. My major retirement money goes into funds and safer items in my 401k, because I am a lot more risk adverse with that money.

Comment

I pay fees. It would have to be proven to me that the free one executes as fast as IB and Etrade. Plus I know I don't have problems with IB. I can call and not wait forever. Trades are super fast. It always works. I can withdraw super easy. I can even have a checkbook etc. Plus I like the platform, free news, trading options etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Congratulations on your profit! You did well, so don't lament over leaving money on the table. SQ was losing money when you bought it at $9, when you sold it at $14, and is still losing money today with a price of $42:

One can buy a lot of profitable companies with consistent earnings growth for $42. Successful investing includes risk management and analyzing the companies' fundamentals.

I have been in the investment business for 25 years, and I still don't understand why it makes sense to buy a company that is losing/bleeding money consistently with no profit in sight. No question that people make money speculating on stocks, but I don't think many folks realize that the company they are buying is actually not making a profit. Many penny stock companies don't even have revenues.

Do your research and know what you are buying and how much risk you are willing to take.
                            Agree too many people just buy the rumor and gamble. SQ is a great example of that and how it may be a crypto play because it may accept BTC in the future and people went crazy.

Comment

MCIG
                              and as others have said XXII. Luckily got in at 1.35

Comment

I'll just leave this here in case anyone wants to try Robin hood gets you free stock when you sign up

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X