No announcement yet.

Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any preference for cube sizes for venison or is uniformity more important?

Comment

Look what I dug out of storage yesterday. Cleaned her up and ran her up to between 10 and 15 pounds for about a hour. Can’t wait to try my hand at canning some deer meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxAgHntr View Post
        What’s the best way to prep the jars?
        For new jars, just wash them and keep them covered. I store them upside down in the boxes they come in.

When ready to can...
        The basics of jar prep is this; you want everything about the same temperature. So, if you are raw packing room temperature meat, use room temperature jars. If you are hot packing, say broth or jellies and jams, you want hot jars. This will minimize the thermal shock on the jars so they don't crack.

When to sterilize jars? The Ball Blue Book says there is no need to sterilize jars or lids (either by boiling or in the oven) if you will be processing the jars for longer than 10 minutes in a pressure canner. They will be sterilized during processing.

Water bath will require sterilization if not using high acidic foods, for example, green beans. If the product is low acid but will be water bathed, like green beans, the jars and lids need to be sterilized and the food needs to be hot packed.

Now, it is not recommended to water bath low acidic foods (generally), but it is possible. As a rule high acidic foods are water bathed and low acidic foods are pressure canned. But again, breaking the rules isn't going to kill you; if you do it correctly.

If in doubt, sterilize jars and lids, it will not hurt anything; it just takes more time and energy.

Check the rim for chips and form/mold deformations that would result in a bad seal. these jars can be used for dry storage or something other than canning. Check the jars for cracks, scratches and dings in the main body as well; these could lead to broken jars in the canner. While this is messy, it doesn't compromise the other jars in the canner; if you have one break in the canner just finish the remaining jars and discard the broken jar and contents.

Do not use metal utensils in the jar. When getting the air out use a plastic spatula, or tool designed for this. Using a metal spoon, or a butter knife could damage the jar and cause breakage.

Do not use "second" jars for canning. These usually have some blemish that makes them unsuitable for canning. Buy and use good, first quality jars.

Always wipe the rim of the jar before placing the seal on the rim. I wet a towel using water and white vinegar, this will remove any food particles and any oils that may be present.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          Any preference for cube sizes for venison or is uniformity more important?
          If it will fit in the jar, it will process. Uniformity is generally for palatability though and requires less steps when you open the jar to use the product.

I cut mine into about 1 inch cubes; this way I can get a really full jar and still get air out. Of course, I can ground meat as well. Bigger chunks usually mean more air and less product in each jar.
          Last edited by Rat; 01-03-2018, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
            Look what I dug out of storage yesterday. Cleaned her up and ran her up to between 10 and 15 pounds for about a hour. Can’t wait to try my hand at canning some deer meat.

That is cool!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
              For new jars, just wash them and keep them covered. I store them upside down in the boxes they come in.

When ready to can...

The basics of jar prep is this; you want everything about the same temperature. So, if you are raw packing room temperature meat, use room temperature jars. If you are hot packing, say broth or jellies and jams, you want hot jars. This will minimize the thermal shock on the jars so they don't crack.

When to sterilize jars? The Ball Blue Book says there is no need to sterilize jars or lids (either by boiling or in the oven) if you will be processing the jars for longer than 10 minutes in a pressure canner. They will be sterilized during processing.

Water bath will require sterilization if not using high acidic foods, for example, green beans. If the product is low acid but will be water bathed, like green beans, the jars and lids need to be sterilized and the food needs to be hot packed.

Now, it is not recommended to water bath low acidic foods (generally), but it is possible. As a rule high acidic foods are water bathed and low acidic foods are pressure canned. But again, breaking the rules isn't going to kill you; if you do it correctly.

If in doubt, sterilize jars and lids, it will not hurt anything; it just takes more time and energy.

Check the rim for chips and form/mold deformations that would result in a bad seal. these jars can be used for dry storage or something other than canning. Check the jars for cracks, scratches and dings in the main body as well; these could lead to broken jars in the canner. While this is messy, it doesn't compromise the other jars in the canner; if you have one break in the canner just finish the remaining jars and discard the broken jar and contents.

Do not use metal utensils in the jar. When getting the air out use a plastic spatula, or tool designed for this. Using a metal spoon, or a butter knife could damage the jar and cause breakage.

Do not use "second" jars for canning. These usually have some blemish that makes them unsuitable for canning. Buy and use good, first quality jars.

Always wipe the rim of the jar before placing the seal on the rim. I wet a towel using water and white vinegar, this will remove any food particles and any oils that may be present.

Great info, thank you!

Comment

Well I’m pressure canning for the first time tonight . Got 11 pints of stew meat fired up.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                  Well I’m pressure canning for the first time tonight . Got 11 pints of stew meat fired up.
                  It's been three days and no update, should we be worried...?

Comment

I'm at the ranch alone tonight (in advance of rig cook tomorrow). I didn't buy any groceries on the way down, but I have a jar of venison, some Fiesta carne guisada seasoning in the cabinet and some leftover tortillas from the weekend.

In less than 20 minutes I have a hot, easy meal (that tastes awesome!)

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                      It's been three days and no update, should we be worried...?

Oh no , just forgot to update . All went well . I’m canning taco soup right now . Have about 20 minutes left . I might do some deer tonight if I get around to boning it out tonight .

Comment

I have wondered about canning venison in the past. It always sounded nasty to me, I will do more reading on it for sure. This looks like some really good stuff, I'm always looking for different ways to preserve my venison.

Comment

I got 11 pints of venison canning now. Should be done in 20 minutes. Dry packed with a little chupacabra rub , onion powder and garlic powder.

Comment

I'm going to the RAT compound with SHTF.

Good thread Michael.

Comment

Wife and I put up another 10 quarts last week.

Comment

This thread has blown my mind a little bit. Definitely something worth trying.

Comment

Working...
                                X