No announcement yet.

Best central Texas catfish lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It can be excellent at times. But on average I would rank it as decent, usually catch enough to make it worthwhile. Occasional large fish.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
      It can be excellent at times. But on average I would rank it as decent, usually catch enough to make it worthwhile. Occasional large fish.
      What depth are they usually at?

Comment

Decker used to be a jugliners dream. That was a looooong time ago

Comment

Originally posted by Luremaker View Post
          What depth are they usually at?
          50% of the fish I catch are on the first hook, 5'down. That is pretty much year round. I fish 25' and under with a hook every 5'. Main lake points are great, windblown banks also.
          It's a numbers game, the more good baits you have out the better.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
            50% of the fish I catch are on the first hook, 5'down. That is pretty much year round. I fish 25' and under with a hook every 5'. Main lake points are great, windblown banks also.
            It's a numbers game, the more good baits you have out the better.
            Awesome! Thanks for the info

Comment

No problem. Good luck man.

Comment

I was surprised to learn its illegal to fish with jugs on Lake Bastrop.

Comment

Travis is OK. Lake Granger has some monster yellows and a good population of blues.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                    Decker used to be a jugliners dream. That was a looooong time ago
                    It use to be a bass fishermans dream a looooong time ago as well. Use to be able to weigh in a 25-30lb stringer and catch fish all day.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      Not sure about Central Texas, but if you wanna spend a weekend, there is a reason that Lake Livingston has a daily limit that is double every other lake in the state.
                      Come on Curt. You know it's not nice to lie. No cats in Lake Livingston....so stay away.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                        Travis is OK. Lake Granger has some monster yellows and a good population of blues.
                        Granger wouldn't be a far drive for me

Comment

Originally posted by Luremaker View Post
                          Belton would be a lot closer to me

We caught several nice blues and some flatheads crappie fishing there in March on Jigs. I know a fellow that loads the boat with jugs on Belton pretty often! There and Tawakoni have been the lakes we caught the most and biggest catfish while crappie fishing for sure.

Comment

If you're not an experienced catfisherman you may want to avoid Travis. It can be great but can be tough even for those who fish it all the time. And getting good bait can be really difficult.

If you don't know Granger drive super slow. More stumps than you could count in 10 lifetimes. I'd fish the main channel where the river comes in. But you may end up way up the river catching shad.

Buchanan is probably the best place if the river is flowing heavy. It's been up quite a few times in the last 2 months so I'd go way up river near the State Park and spread jugs out with big live baits caught in coves under water falls.

Let us know when you plan to go. You can swing by and pick me up

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              If you're not an experienced catfisherman you may want to avoid Travis. It can be great but can be tough even for those who fish it all the time. And getting good bait can be really difficult.

If you don't know Granger drive super slow. More stumps than you could count in 10 lifetimes. I'd fish the main channel where the river comes in. But you may end up way up the river catching shad.

Buchanan is probably the best place if the river is flowing heavy. It's been up quite a few times in the last 2 months so I'd go way up river near the State Park and spread jugs out with big live baits caught in coves under water falls.

Let us know when you plan to go. You can swing by and pick me up
                              Yeah I dont think Granger would be the place for my boat, Ive got a 24ft bluewave, so id be hitting those stumps

Comment

I'm sure Conroe is too far but there are some monster catfish in that lake.

Comment

Working...
                                X