more money or quality of life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I need to clarify.

I am not working 60-80 hours a week. I am working 40-50 at most and traveling once a year for a day or 3 at most. The other job will have perks like leaving early here and there and currently has a few more days off a year probably.

my life at work would just be easier and less stressful (presumably) and I may have a few hours extra at home every so often...
    Last edited by Redneck Archer; 07-27-2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Honestly, unless your current job is causing unhealthy stress, it seems like taking the $10k is an easy choice. You're not working much overtime currently. Maybe before you take the $10k have a sit down with your manager and get assured on how you can take vacation time.

If it makes you feel any better I was just told I need to work more hours for no extra $$. However, I'm in the O&G industry and that's why I asked what industry you're in.

Comment

Hurried and worried
        Until we are buried.
        Life is a funny proposal after all.

(Time is The most important commodity in a persons life).

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Archer View Post
          1... Sys admin/IT/opsec/comsec (security plus type stuff)
          2... 31
          3... 2 years
          4... 300 people
          I'm almost the same as you...

Sys admin in the power industry
          2.5yrs
          200 people

I've got 3 kids, a 7r old, an almost 3 yr old and a 14month old. My time with them is the most valuable thing I have right now. There isn't a dollar amount offered that would keep me here longer than I already am. Luckily my job is mostly 8-5, but 98% of the other IT employees work way past their 40hrs without any movement up. The managers in this company are here to stay. Again, less stress and time with my family can't be replaced with $10k with the hopes of more later.

Comment

I am not working 60-80 hours a week. I am working 40-50 at most and traveling once a year for a day or 3 at most. The other job will have perks like leaving early here and there and currently has a few more days off a year probably.

my life at work would just be easier and less stressful (presumably) and I may have a few hours extra at home every so often...
            Reading the rest of the story..... If you can come to an agreement to be able to take a week off here and there in your current position, and the stress level isn't too terrible (doesn't sound like it is), then I'd say take the raise and stay there. Everybody would like to have a job that was no stress and nothing but fun, but if it were that easy to do something then nobody would have to pay you to do it. If it comes with a paycheck, it's probably got some stress, work, and a little "suckiness" along with it here and there.

Comment

Another idea.... Tell them you're on the fence a little, but a $15K raise would seal the deal for you. Just see what they say. Doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe they'd at least come up to $12K or so. Who knows?

Comment

Well that changes things from my perspective.I was under the impression that work was stopping you from spending time with your family. Take the promotion

Comment

Where will either position take you? Sounds like they would rather keep you than bringing on someone else. Take it one rung at a time.....

Comment

When I was single I would have taken the money all day long. Since we don't have kids yet I probably still would but at the same time, keeping that work life balance is key. If you have the chance to keep same everything but work less that would be very tempting

Comment

No matter what all these posters say, you are the only one who can answer your question

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        No matter what all these posters say, you are the only one who can answer your question
                        ^^^Agreed^^^

Comment

I took the money. I also asked for more vacation.

My job is not that bad, and I think it would be a little foolish and a huge hit to my career not to take the bump and stay were I am. My current position is a higher profile more valuable position with probably more room to grow (financially, and responsibility).

thanks for the input guys. I think a new bow is going to be in my pre bow season future.

Comment

My job is not that bad, and I think it would be a little foolish and a huge hit to my career not to take the bump and stay were I am. My current position is a higher profile more valuable position with probably more room to grow (financially, and responsibility).

thanks for the input guys. I think a new bow is going to be in my pre bow season future.
                            congratulations!

Comment

Congratulations on the new opportunity for you and your family!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                                X