Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more money or quality of life?

whats up guys. been a while since I posted. life has been great

but I am facing a big decision tomorrow.

I have been offered a much less stress, and less stressful workload position at work (by some guys I know that hunt). I keep my entire benefit package and salary etc. just switch departments.

I was offered by management 10k more annually to stay where I am (they said I am more valuable to the company where I am and I should earn more for that, but I can move if I would like)... I know if I stay not much will change and the responsibility will always be there...

I am struggling with the decision. how much money is quality of life worth. right now if we lose power I am coming in, in the middle of the night and babysitting till it comes back on (with a counterpart). I do sometimes have to work more hours to get stuff done (I do get compensated via straight pay).

at the other department I will not be responsible for or do any of that.

what say you?

If you do not like getting up and going to work every day, then is the money worth it?

Comment

IF you take the position that is comfortable for you and not the one Management wants you in, be prepared to stay there forever. You will never be seen as someone the company can count on to be a leader. My .02 would be to take the 10K more and continue moving up the ladder in the company.

Comment

To some, 10K/yr is a very nice raise and can make a big difference in how they live month to month. To some, it's not much of a raise at all. Will the extra 10K allow you to live a lot more freely financially? If it doesn't make a big difference financially, I'd probably go with the less stressful offer. That's just me though.

Comment

Up until recently,I was always chasing the dollar. Worked all the OT that was offered.Funny thing is that in the end,I never had any extra money,Missed family time,and was just generally miserable.Decided for the most part,I would just work 40 hrs,and life is much better! Money will not make you happy

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
            IF you take the position that is comfortable for you and not the one Management wants you in, be prepared to stay there forever. You will never be seen as someone the company can count on to be a leader. My .02 would be to take the 10K more and continue moving up the ladder in the company.
            Kinda the way I look at it. I'd take the cash

Comment

I spent over 35 years running Cat service operations and was responsible 24/7. Only got to take family vacations about 3 times. If I had known then what I know now I would have done something else.
              Money can't buy you time, and when you get right down to it, time is all we have. Get the most out of it. My 2 cents.

Comment

Agreed. And there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that as long as you understand how it affects the long-term and are comfortable with that outcome for your future. Only you can answer what the best scenario is for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Knocks View Post
                  Up until recently,I was always chasing the dollar. Worked all the OT that was offered.Funny thing is that in the end,I never had any extra money,Missed family time,and was just generally miserable.Decided for the most part,I would just work 40 hrs,and life is much better! Money will not make you happy

At 35 years old, I have adopted this way of thinking. I'm loving life. Just not worth it to be a slave to the job or the little extra money. I will still hit some ot, or even take on a big project from time to time, but mostly enjoy my time off.

Comment

well, you guys arent helping me... lol

10k is a descent amount of money, but I am not sure if its worth the risks I take daily.

one of the problems I have right now is I get vacation time but due to my job I struggle with being able to take a vacation. I cant take a week off work right now. I have weekly requirements to projects and customers that MUST get done. El Paisano reminded me of that just now

Comment

[QUOTE=RdRdrFan;10306203]Agreed. And there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that as long as you understand how it affects the long-term and are comfortable with that outcome for your future. Only you can answer what the best scenario is for you.[/QUOT

Completely agree with above.

Comment

I think that if the bosses thought i was more valuable in my current position I'd stay right where i was. I personally would not want the bosses to have any indication i was choosing a easier position over my value to the company.

Comment

Let me be more direct....taking the lower pay less stressful job would be a death sentence for your career at that company. I have seen a lot of people look back on their lives and say they wished they had done this or that when an opportunity had presented itself. They made a decision that was best for them at the moment without consideration for what it meant overall to their career. If you are moving up the ladder every year or so, those 10,000+ dollar raises really add up in 10 to 20 years. As said earlier, only you can make this decision, Im just asking you to think about what it might mean to you 5-10 years down the road and not simply, tomorrow, as you have put it. Best of luck and I hope it all works out for the best.

Comment

Let me be more direct....taking the lower pay less stressful job would be a death sentence for your career at that company. I have seen a lot of people look back on their lives and say they wished they had done this or that when an opportunity had presented itself. They made a decision that was best for them at the moment without consideration for what it meant overall to their career. If you are moving up the ladder every year or so, those 10,000+ dollar raises really add up in 10 to 20 years. As said earlier, only you can make this decision, Im just asking you to think about what it might mean to you 5-10 years down the road and not simply, tomorrow, as you have put it. Best of luck and I hope it all works out for the best.
                            This is good advice, think about your future.

Comment

I take my extra 10k and be where I'm needed the most

Comment

Working...
                              X