Welding Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding Advice

Looking for feedback - am I headed down the right path as a novice/untrained welder? I consider myself a strong DIY guy but have limited welding experience.

Job: Build pipe/horse fencing for 1 acre lot.

1. Going to use flux core welder run off a generator.
    - Hobart 100 welder
    - chop saw to make saddle cuts, etc.
    - pipe jig for marking saddle cuts
    - 7500 watt generator to run welder / chop saw
    - electric grinder.

What am I missing and I know for now I want to do gasless but yet I may want to eventually go MIG once I get my shop built for future projects.

Is the above set up efficient and effective to get 800ft of fence done?

Any and all advice welcome - appreciate y’all!

G.

If you are using sucker rod, can not remember what they are called. But hangs to the top pipe to hold each piece of rod in the same spot on each post.

Comment

Can you do saddle cuts with a chop saw? I honestly don’t know.

My general amateur opinion is that you might consider putting extra effort into cleaning the material where the weld will take place to make sure you get as good of penetration as possible. I don’t know much about that welder, but anything running on 110v might be a stretch for getting the penetration you want for a strong fence.

Gonna receive way more experienced opinions than mine, but hope this helps.

Comment

That Hobart is going to be welding material that is at or above its max recommended thickness. Good penetration is the key to welding.

Also, 800ft of fence with an 8ft lead means you need to be prepared to move the welding rig around 100 times to complete the job.

If I were going to do this job I would try to find a stick welder with long leads. Run it off 220 on the generator so metal thickness was not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
          Can you do saddle cuts with a chop saw? I honestly don’t know.
          I guess you could, but that's a lot of work.
          OP, you would be better off with a torch or a grinder with cut off wheels.
          Also, is the flux core wire with or with out gas?
          If it was me, I'd have a gas welder with at least 100ft of lead and stick it all out.

Comment

I'd buy an old gas miller machine and stick that. Mig sucks out of a shop environment and gagfi of the user.

You aint cutting saddles with a chopsaw.....get a flame ax.
            Last edited by Traildust; 09-12-2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Max thickness for that welder is 3/16. You might want to go rent a gas stick welder and be done with it. Cutting saddles with a chop saw will be near impossible but I guess it could be done with a little extra time. You would be better off getting a cutting torch set up to cut the saddles

Comment

You can do the saddle cuts with a chop-saw; however, that little .030 flux wire won’t get the job done. Borrow or rent a bigger machine.

Comment

Flux core wire does not like rusty pipe! I would find a stick engine driven machine.

They make hand operated shear that can cut your saddles.

Are you digging the holes by hand? Tractor and post hole digger would come in handy.

Comment

The problem with that welder is going to be duty cycle and amps. You are going to do more waiting than welding. Find someone with a small tig inverter welder(which will run on your generator) and stick weld it. Run some 7018 1/8 rods. The amps these new small inverter machines put out are ridiculous. These will run on 220 on that generator and you can pull 160 to 200 amps depending on the machine.

Comment

A 110 volt mig will not penetrate enough, however I have used a 220 Volt one that worked great in a shop setting. For the saddles I have always used a torch and grinder, chop saw are for straight cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                        You can do the saddle cuts with a chop-saw; however, that little .030 flux wire won’t get the job done. Borrow or rent a bigger machine.
                        I'd like to see that. How much grinding and gap filling on the fit-up is required?

Comment

1/8" 6011's are the ranchers friend.

Comment

Originally posted by dpatterson1976 View Post

If I were going to do this job I would try to find a stick welder with long leads. Run it off 220 on the generator so metal thickness was not an issue.
                            Yup stick would be the only way to go.

try to rent one.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              I'd like to see that. How much grinding and gap filling on the fit-up is required?
                              I'm with u. Id like to see that.

Good luck to the op. Its gonna be a Job to pull it off with the equipment you have. Maybe impossible...

Comment

Working...
                              X