If you had to pick one knife...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would it be and why? I'm trying to find an all-around EDC/skinning/hunting knife, but I'm kind of lost in all of the mumbo jumbo regarding steel types, oil needed vs no oil, grinds, edge retention, sharpness, etc. Would you go with a folder or fixed blade? Something you can buy in a store or a handmade one from somebody on here or elsewhere? Here are a few I'm looking at.

Also, I'm not really concerned with how it looks as long as it performs well.
    Edit: I'd also prefer not to get a knife that I'd have to oil all the time.
    Last edited by jmw; 08-02-2018, 02:27 AM.

Comment

I would get the Buck. Second would be the SOG.

Comment

everyday carry, case folder all the way. hunting knife, i prefer a custom made or knives of Alaska fixed blade dual combo

Comment

Zero Tolerance all the way if the choices are from these 3.
          Hold one, work one, feel it. You'll forget about the other 2.

Comment

my Shaerks bushcraft knife. s30v blade, canvas micarta scales. It's a bloody beast and has been through the jungles of brazil to hunting in Michigan without a hiccup. If I can't have that, Ill just take a swiss army knife.

Comment

I like a Kabar Navy MK1, it is a pretty good all around knife. Don't get it confused with the Kabar USMC, which tends to be a too big IMO for a hunting knife. For a true EDC, I feel any fixed blade is too big and would agree with GrapeApe on the SAK

Comment

SOG Vulcan. Holds a great edge and sharpens easily.

Comment

Knives are not wives, they don’t get jealous when you fondle another knife, nor do they nag. Get one of each, even if it is over time!

Comment

Get one with D2 steel. Likely gona be $100ish

Comment

Out of those, I’d get the Zero Tolerance. A folder is much more convenient. For the record, I carry an Old Timer 194 OT. Haven’t found a task that it couldn’t handle.

Comment

I was just in the same boat as you JMW and ended up going with an outdoor edge folding knife with a "caper" style blade. I really like it and it is razor sharp. I have other outdoor edge knives that have held their edge for a very long time.

Comment

My pocket carry is an Remington, similar to a Case. For hunting I have a Gerber LMF and a Benchmade (forgot the model) in my backpack. I also have a Gerber Backpax that has a small fixed blade knife in the the handle.

Comment

Of the ones you listed, I'd pick the ZT. Those things are built to take a beating and they hold up really, really well. Made of good steel, too.

Only thing is - they are heavy as crud.

Comment

My EDC knife is a Havalon duel blade. It has a regular pocket knife blade and a replaceable scalpel blade. I like it best because I can’t sharpen things worth a crap, so when the scalpel blade gets dull, I just put a new one in!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X