Animals do respond to love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animals do respond to love

It can at times get exasperating dealing with cattle. Believe me, I have enough experience and memories of bruises to say so. But there is something to when you speak words of love and kindness to them. I’ve witnessed some amazing things with a large group of cattle I have cared for daily. They are not the dumb creatures others with no patience or care paint them to be.

These heifers and bulls ARE NOT confined to small pens. They roam freely in open pastures. Every day I would tell them that I love them etc. One day I was feeling very low and was out checking on them while in a 4 wheeler. The grief from losing family members was still hitting me hard. The cattle were not used to 4 wheelers and were generally afraid of them. But that day I had stopped in a far west pasture away from the heifers and just put my head down on the handlebars. Every now and then I’d look up to watch a doe making her way across. In a little while the girls completely surrounded me and began licking me all over and rubbing their heads on me. This occurred again with another herd further north that same day.

One time a bull ,that I occasionally had disagreements with, did something interesting. The mud had been a real problem before spring this year. It got to the point the mud was too deep for the 4WD feed truck and 4WD tractors. So I had to deliver feed in 5 gallon buckets with a UTV. That is a tiring task. Well, due to the wet conditions it was necessary to take an alternate route through a small meadow where thick wild rye grass grows. I didn’t want the cattle in there yet and kept the gates locked. I stopped to open those gates and that was when the same bull that would sometimes give me reasons for concern, began pushing all the heifers far away from the gates. He was helping to keep them from venturing into that meadow. It was not my imagination. They are smarter than people give them credit. I’ve got more stories to tell another time.

Animals are smarter than a whole lot of people (look no further than Facebook as proof).

Trouble is they happen to taste a lot better than most people do, too.

Comment

Animals can be pretty perceptive. Some of them have a good spirit, others not so much.

Comment

Ain’t nothing dumber than a cow except a chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          Animals are smarter than a whole lot of people (look no further than Facebook as proof).

Trouble is they happen to taste a lot better than most people do, too.
          LOL....Right on

Comment

I've never had such luck while working around cattle. Even ones that were used to people. I think they can sense that I love to eat steak. They don't like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              Chickens are pretty smart. I used to play tic tac toe against one at the fair and never could beat that sucker. Turkeys on the other hand are dumber than a box of rocks.

Comment

I grew up in the Panhandle working in a feedyard...apparently their IQ and love decline when in a feedlot because the 40,000 head we had were all dumb as could be!

Comment

Not sure what you are doing for recreation on that ranch but you might ought to stay away from the hard stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

I concur!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

I suspect the bull was doing what they do. Protecting his herd from entering another pasture where another bull might be. See it all the time on my ranch. You may have a different herd than I do.

Comment

My cattle love me.

Until I run out of range cubes.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                          Not sure what you are doing for recreation on that ranch but you might ought to stay away from the hard stuff.
                          Lmao

Comment

I hope you are feeling better worksalot. I am sure you have a lot of people in your life that care about you besides your cows that you dont even realize. Have you went to counseling? Have a good friend you can talk to during your grief or really down times? Maybe you can join an archery club or cattleman group where you live. Maybe you have all these things already and like the peace and quiet that nature provides. God is there with out in that pasture, at home, everywhere. He is pretty good to talk to besides cows.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrim View Post
                              Chickens are pretty smart. I used to play tic tac toe against one at the fair and never could beat that sucker. Turkeys on the other hand are dumber than a box of rocks.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X