Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a fast growing visual barrier

Hey folks,

I am looking to plant something that will grow fast and act as a visual barrier from the neighbors. Stand alone roughly a hundred yards long. I average 44" of rain a year so it does not have to be drought resistant but as you all know it can get a little hot in central/south Texas. Soil tests will be performed and soil will be amended as necessary.

I just have no clue what to plant. It needs to grow fast and tall.

What would you all suggest?
    Last edited by yotethumper; 05-09-2018, 01:28 PM.

Red tip photinia

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter7801 View Post
      Red tip photinia
      X2

Comment

My neighbors have Confederate Jasmine growing on our fence line and its taking over my side of fence now. Lucky for me my wife likes it! lol

Comment

Where are you located? I would not suggest red tips for hedge or privacy. Look at Ligustrum Japonica or Viburnum Odoratism. Confederate jasmine also works well if it has a fence to support the vines. May also want to look at eleagnus if you dont care how big the hedge gets.

Comment

Oleander

Comment

wax myrtle

Comment

Clarify: Are you looking for vines that will cover up a transparent fence, or a tree that will provide 20+ feet of coverage?

Comment

Leyland Cypress trees are what I'd go with if you're trying to totally block out your neighbors from seeing your property at all. They grow really fast (3-5 feet per year) and are basically a wall (can't see through them at all).

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                    Clarify: Are you looking for vines that will cover up a transparent fence, or a tree that will provide 20+ feet of coverage?
                    I am looking for a block of trees/plants to cover a hundred yards. I do not want any vines on the fences.

Comment

You can come dig up all the Yaupon you want from my place. In a few months it will take over everything
                      I have plenty of rose hedge also

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                        You can come dig up all the Yaupon you want from my place. In a few months it will take over everything
                        I have plenty of rose hedge also
                        And deer seem to hammer the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                          I am looking for a block of trees/plants to cover a hundred yards. I do not want any vines on the fences.
                          I'd make sure your area can support them and go with Leyland Cypress then. 20-25 feet wide, 40-50 feet tall, completely block out any and everything.

Comment

Pampas grass? Gets about 10ft wide

Comment

Carolina Cherry Laurel

Comment

Working...
                              X