No announcement yet.

Question on registering trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL....Very, very few older trailers have a title. I own 3 right now and in the past have owned a lot of them and have never had a single one with a title. Not sure what county you are in but if you are in Hunt or Van Zandt you will not have an issue at all. Just take the plate to the office, tell them you are registering a farm trailer, pay the small fee , and walk out.

-john

Comment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice trailer.

-john

Originally posted by whopper1800 View Post

Comment

The above trailer was stolen from me Labor Day weekend. Please keep an eye out.

Comment

Mine is shop built and not a farm trailer so the process may have been different, but if you have brand markings then to get the auto theft officer to mark “homemade” will not be an easy task.
            I did a ton of research earlier this year when I was going thru it all, and I can verify like stated above the rules enforced seem to be vastly different from county to county. Mine was pretty strict. The rules have even changed to get the “farm” plates. No longer does owning a piece of land automatically make your trailer eligible for farm plates. We have always done this, but now DPS is cracking down on unlawful farm plate use. Hauling ATV’s, coolers, and deer corn/protein, does not qualify for farm use and will get you a ticket with a big fine. That’s mainly what I use mine for, so I bit the bullet and paid the $99 for regular trailer tags. Better than a $500 ticket. Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
              I just went through this with a utility trailer, had to have it inspected, Weighed, it was a real pain in the rear, It does depend on county though.
              Gov. Abbott signed a bill into law in 2017 that exempted all trailers under 7500 GVW from inspections.

Non-farm trailers up to 4000 GVW are exempt from registration.

Farm trailers less than 10,000 GVW are exempt from registration.

I can promise you that Gooseneck trailer in the photos above has a title. It may be lost, but it has a title.

Here's a helpful link:

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                Gov. Abbott signed a bill into law in 2017 that exempted all trailers under 7500 GVW from inspections.

Non-farm trailers up to 4000 GVW are exempt from registration.

Farm trailers less than 10,000 GVW are exempt from registration.

I can promise you that Gooseneck trailer in the photos above has a title. It may be lost, but it has a title.

Here's a helpful link:

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...hicle/trailers

I do have the title - just don’t have the trailer🤬

Comment

Originally posted by whopper1800 View Post
                  I do have the title - just don’t have the trailer🤬

Things are getting fishy here.... he has a trailer and no title, while you have a title and no trailer... [emoji15]

Comment

I believe if it is over a certain poundage a title is required.
                    I have registered 5 trailers, all without a title, and none of them needed to be inspected. Might just be different in Collin county.

Comment

So the owner gave me the old plate number today. Called reg office and they checked it. It was registered as a home built farm trailer. I am at exempt so they said it will cost me 9.50 to register with farm plates. No inspection needed. Guess I’m gonna get it Friday .

Comment

Btw, this is going to be a 100% farm trailer. Livestock hauling only to vet and sale barn.

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
                          Things are getting fishy here.... he has a trailer and no title, while you have a title and no trailer... [emoji15]

You're not keeping up!!!
                          The OP is looking how to register a trailer he wants to buy, which has no title.
                          The guy you quoted has a title to a trailer that was stolen Labor Day weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                            You're not keeping up!!!

The OP is looking how to register a trailer he wants to buy, which has no title.

The guy you quoted has a title to a trailer that was stolen Labor Day weekend.

What if it’s related?[emoji57][emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
                              So the owner gave me the old plate number today. Called reg office and they checked it. It was registered as a home built farm trailer. I am at exempt so they said it will cost me 9.50 to register with farm plates. No inspection needed. Guess I’m gonna get it Friday .
                              Sounds like you lucked out, my experience in Harris and Ft Bend county was not as good. I had a bill of sale from the original owner but he never registered the trailer and since we could not provide the original MCO it became a long drawn out process.

Long story short when I buy trailers these days is if there is not a title or the original owner can not provide a current registration then I run, it can still be done but just not worth the effort unless the trailer was free.

Comment

I am no help her. But If your in Lamar county it's a PIA to get it done.

Comment

Working...
                                X