No announcement yet.

23 & Me or Ancestory.com??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about lets hear from someone who has used the services; not just the guys with tin foil hats on their head....

Comment

Y'all are all in data bases, promise!.......lmbo!

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
        sounds like a good way to end up paying child support from a college spring break fling.
        I chuckled. ^

Comment

I used 23andme. Was super easy and helped me pattern together son traits. To me it is worth it but I love history, genealogy and family so was an easy choice for me. Lol, I found out that I have a higher percentage of Neanderthal than 70% of folks that submitted heir DNA. That alone helped explain some questions I had. Good luck and God Bless!

Comment

sounds like a good way to end up paying child support from a college spring break fling.
            Lol, that's pretty funny. Just figure out what friend of yours had it done, and start sending him fathers day cards

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
            How about lets hear from someone who has used the services; not just the guys with tin foil hats on their head....
            You asked "lets hear it", you now get everyone's opinion, and then some lol

Comment

I have a relative in his late 60's who just found out he has twin sons who are 45 years old.

He's been a bachelor all his life and was never told by the birth Mom that she was pregnant and gave them up for adoption as newborns.

He's never submitted a DNA sample but other family members have. A genealogist figured it all out.

Comment

That's why I'm going to wait a couple more years before I do it.

Comment

Originally posted by kch73 View Post
                  You are already in many databases FYI...
                  My DNA isn’t, FYI

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    I don’t understand the draw. I don’t know why it matters to anyone what their genetic lineage is. If there is health risked let the Doc order it
                    My grandfather on my mom’s side was sold as a slave when he was a kid. Without a DNA test, it is impossible to find out anything. So with that in mind, I can understand the draw. Due to privacy concerns though I won’t take part in any DNA test. My dads side of the family has been tracked back to the reign of Charlemagne so I’m ok with only knowing one side.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
                      A few of my co-workers did Ancestry.com about 6 months back. Seemed very easy. Order the kit, spit in a tube and send off.

Pros -
                      - Simple to use
                      - Initial assessment was very informative (very detailed on countries of origin down to even 1%)
                      - Puts you in a database where others that submit can possibly link to you

Cons -
                      - Takes about 4-6 weeks to get assessment back
                      - Additional subscription fees if you want to keep on-going access
                      - I believe you can only link to other people that also are in the database; so if you have a long lost sibling that never submits a sample, it doesn't matter.
                      Last edited by CaptainDave; 10-03-2018, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
                        My DNA isn’t, FYI
                        Been to the doctor, donated blood, arrested, TWIC or hair folicle test?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                          Been to the doctor, donated blood, arrested, TWIC or hair folicle test?
                          Never donated blood, never been arrested, never had a TWIC or hair follicle test.

Of course I’ve been to a doctor and have given blood for testing. If your question infers that my doctors office is not only doing the normal blood panels but also then conducting a DNA analysis on the blood I gave and then putting it in a database, then it was all done without my knowledge or consent. I’m no lawyer or an expert in the field of HIPAA, but I’d bet that would be some pretty blatant violations, if what I describe was happening.

So yeah, I feel very confident in saying my DNA isn’t in a database. Sure as hell not with my knowledge, consent or willful participation.

Comment

I've done both. The second one was a fathers day present. I was not impressed with either. Both want extra money to build a family tree..

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                              I've done both. The second one was a fathers day present. I was not impressed with either. Both want extra money to build a family tree..
                              I built my family tree on Ancestry without paying a dime extra after submitting my DNA. Found out we go back to 1619 in America on my Dad's side.

Comment

Working...
                              X