Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-22-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
mharris1
Ten Point

Hunt In: leaseless and looking
Default Who to use for an IRA?

I have a 401k I need to roll over in to something. Is an ira my best bet? If so, who are you using?
mharris1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2018, 11:56 PM   #2
Hooverfb
Eight Point

I like Vanguard. But if you're asking if an ira is your best bet, you should probably go find a financial advisor first.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: Only my backyard!

Talk to your bank's financial investment whiz kid......but be aware that a traditional IRA sucks as you will have to pay taxes on EVERYTHING you withdraw (not just interest earned). I chose a Roth IRA for putting a relatively small amount away and will only pay tax on the interest (since I already paid tax on the principle).

If your 401k is pre-tax savings, you'll pay tax on it all as you withdraw. Bank IRAs ain't paying squat, but other options aren't paying much better.
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 12:13 AM   #4
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County
Default Who to use for an IRA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olphart View Post
Talk to your bank's financial investment whiz kid......but be aware that a traditional IRA sucks as you will have to pay taxes on EVERYTHING you withdraw (not just interest earned). I chose a Roth IRA for putting a relatively small amount away and will only pay tax on the interest (since I already paid tax on the principle).

If your 401k is pre-tax savings, you'll pay tax on it all as you withdraw. Bank IRAs ain't paying squat, but other options aren't paying much better.

I’m confused by your post. You shouldn’t pay taxes on withdrawals on a Roth IRA. That’s the whole point. If you paid taxes on the “interest” it would be no different than a run of the mill investment.

To the OP. I use Wealthfront. Very easy and they’ll invest in different funds depending on your risk tolerance. Very low fees. Whether an IRA, either traditional or Roth, is your best bet, I can’t answer.
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 01:13 AM   #5
Jbird8791
Six Point

Hunt In: Eldorado TX

[/B][/B]
Quote:

This is wrong. A ROTH is pre-taxed (you paid taxes on the income at your current tax rate) so that you can avoid the taxes later. A ROTH is great if you think you’ll be in a higher tax bracket when you retire or are able to start withdrawals. A traditional IRA allows you to take a tax break up front (therefore you are putting more money in ((the tax savings)). The more money in can help in growing stock markets like we’ve seen recently, however if your in a higher tax bracket later in life (taxes have traditional increased anyway) you will pay more when taking money out of your account. With you asking this question you need an advisor most likely. You could roll it over in to an ira in, e-trade or Scotttrade account and diversify by way of mutual funds and let professionals trade stocks for you. Those professionals get theirs of course. A great intro to start with would be American Funds, they have low fees for a great track record.

I’m not proof Reading this so if spelling and punc. is off, sorry.

Last edited by Jbird8791; 08-23-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Jbird8791 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bracketville, Missouri, East TX

Edward Jones.
fullsizeaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
coachk
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Clay Co

I have a Roth IRA through vanguard...no complaints
coachk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Walker
Ten Point

What ever you do, use your bank. They will probably do it for free.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Get a financial advisor, but whoever you choose make sure you feel comfortable with them and they explain to you the process and what your investments will go into. You may still not understand but at least he took the time to try and teach you.
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
Triple 7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
No one works for free. You might just not see the cost.
Triple 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
deerplanter
Ten Point

Who is managing your 401k may want to start by making with them. I'm guessing it's either Vangaurd or Fidelity. They will have investment strategies for you depending on your age and other factors
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
hog_down
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachk View Post
I have a Roth IRA through vanguard...no complaints
x 2 here
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Vanguard has been good to me. If I ever found an investment advisor who was worth his salt, I'd move. But I've been looking a long time and haven't found one.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #14
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Most of the advice on these kinds of threads is really bad. Some of it is good. It's illegal for licensed advisors to give advice on the internet, so the replies you get on these threads is from people who aren't professionals. Some of them have done lots of homework and have a decent handle on it. If you can't tell the difference, you probably need to find a good financial advisor. Ask your friends and family in your town who they use. Talk to a couple advisors that come recommended to you and find one that you get along with well who will answer all your questions and explain everything well for you. Bad investment decisions can cost a LOT more than professional guidance.

Or, if you'd rather do it yourself without an advisor, you can do that as well. But read lots of books and educate yourself really well before getting started. Whatever you do, don't follow random internet advice. Most of it is bad.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #15
DRettele
Eight Point

Hunt In: Central Texas, Kansas unit #6 & 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
Edward Jones.
X2

I am happy with my experience with Edward Jones since moving a 401k account from a previous employer to an IRA with them.
DRettele is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #16
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:

There is so much wrong with this post.

Traditional IRA sucks? Ya compounding returns on pretax contributions are awful....no.

You have to pay taxes on everything you withdraw? Also not true.

Roth IRA you only pay tax on the interest? Also not true.

Principle? You mean principal

Bank IRAs aren't paying squat? Are you investing your IRA in a cash instrument or what? If so, why?

Other options aren't paying better than Bank IRAs? Have you checked stock market returns lately?
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #17
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

max out Roth IRA first
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #18
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
This is not true at all. In fact, you will probably pay more at your bank vs a shop like Vanguard or Fidelity. You'll also probably have the bank's proprietary investments to choose from and those are definitely not free in any way, shape or form.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #19
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

I would see an advisor

Also don’t let them talk you into putting your money into something they themselves do not put their own money into...
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #20
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
This is not true at all. In fact, you will probably pay more at your bank vs a shop like Vanguard or Fidelity. You'll also probably have the bank's proprietary investments to choose from and those are definitely not free in any way, shape or form.
Time to switch banks then.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #21
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

About 13 years ago I subscribed to The Independent Adviser for Vanguard Investors. Dan Weiner has 4 different model portfolios he suggest for long term growth depending on your age and risk tolerance. His philosophy is buy the manager not the fund. I studied a lot before making a decision on which mutual funds to invest in. At our age we went with the Income Model he suggest and have done very well.

https://adviseronline.investorplace.com/

My wife rolled her 401K over in 2005 and has more than tripled her money. I rolled mine over in 2011 and am averaging a 9.9% return.

As stated by others above though, if you're unsure, hire a professional.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #22
gemini2759
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mostly public

Fidelity. Lots of mutual funds to choose from

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #23
ranchdog
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
Fidelity. Lots of mutual funds to choose from

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
I also use Fidelity and they have locations(at least in Houston) you can walk into and discuss any issues you have. If you then wish to do more with them then they will have everything you need to do a 529 plan, open a brokers account, make withdrawals etc. I have done well with them.

Ranchdog
ranchdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #24
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Whoever you choose be sure and ask the financial advisor of he will have a fudicitary intrest or responsibility in your account. This means he will put your interest before his earnings when he makes investments. If he says no or himhaws around, go somewhere else.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #25
Beleg
Ten Point

I suggest you stay away from big institutions like Ameriprise, Prudential, etc. We went with a local Dave Ramsey financial adviser and have been very satisfied. We're both retired now but needed to make changes to our 401Ks and IRAs to meet our needs in retirement. We found our adviser through family and friends recommendations.
Beleg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #26
eradicator
Pope & Young

I would never use the bank except for a last resort.
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #27
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Time to switch banks then.
No thanks. I use my bank for banking. I use Vanguard for my investments. Works for me.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #28
Walker
Ten Point

I guess my account is different from you guys. I have a selection of funds including vanguard and fidelity funds to choose from and an online access where I can adjust what funds I want and how much of each. I dont use an advisor. A little homework and a lot of performance history and common sense go into my choices.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #29
FF36
Eight Point

Hunt In: Laneville/Erath County

Wealthfront has been good for mine.
FF36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #30
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Vanguard
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #31
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
I guess my account is different from you guys. I have a selection of funds including vanguard and fidelity funds to choose from and an online access where I can adjust what funds I want and how much of each. I dont use an advisor. A little homework and a lot of performance history and common sense go into my choices.

Why go through your bank then instead of directly through Fidelity or Vanguard?
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #32
refugioco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio County

I use Fidelity and you can do pretty much anything you want after you are more seasoned.
They can guide you where to place your money when you are first contributing. Your regular contributions are the most important thing in the beginning. If you are young and trying to lower your taxable income research a HSA it has a lot of benefits.
refugioco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top