Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
sec
Six Point

Default Question for those that have hunted South Africa

Iíve been told by others that my ammo had to be in ďoriginalĒ boxes.
Is that true?
I reload for my 270 WBY MAG and therefore donít have boxes.

Any info is appreciated. Thank you
sec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
Dixiehunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec View Post
Iíve been told by others that my ammo had to be in ďoriginalĒ boxes.
Is that true?
I reload for my 270 WBY MAG and therefore donít have boxes.

Any info is appreciated. Thank you
Buy a box or two of factory ammo and swap yours into them. Might as well play it safe.
Dixiehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Brackettville

I would do as stated above and at least play it safe
bowsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
sec
Six Point

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiehunter View Post
Buy a box or two of factory ammo and swap yours into them. Might as well play it safe.
Yes I thought of that but at $85 per box for ammo Iíll never shoot. Itís cheaper to find out if I can take my reloads.

Thank you anyway.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
Walker
Ten Point

Go to accuratereloading.com and ask. They will know.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

No, it's not true.

6. You can pack ammo in the same locking case.

This is another area that’s misunderstood and full of internet myth. Your ammo just needs to be stored in some type of safe container and not loose. Technically, you can keep ammunition in magazines, but I wouldn’t recommend it. It meets the letter of the law storage requirement, but too many airline and TSA agents will give you grief. Use a plastic ammo box or original cardboard packaging and you’ll be fine carrying that in the same lockable case as your gun.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #7
WBT
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stephenville

I've taken reloads to Africa before. I bought some generic cardboard ammo boxes and printed out a label on my computer. I don't recall anyone ever even looking at it.
WBT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Huggybear
Ten Point

Print labels off computer. Just if you take a back up gun they can't be he same calliber.
Huggybear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
sec
Six Point

Thanks for the info.!
I emailed accuratereloading.com/
Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #10
jeffpg
Ten Point

Hunt In: All of USA & Africa

Unfortunately, knowing the rules and following them doesn't always work out like it should. Chances are, the agent that you will have to deal with doesn't even know what they are doing, but will think that they do. They sometimes have their own set of rules it seems.

Always err on the side of caution... Any hunting trip overseas is far too much trouble and expense to gamble on anything questionable. Empty ammo boxes are not that hard to come up with. There's probably plenty of folks here who'd loan or give you boxes that would work.

Just my take...
jeffpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
firehunt fish
Four Point

Hunt In: Africa

Hello SEC,

Here is a link to the regulations page for importing guns/ammo into South Africa. I also recommend using riflepermits.com or one of many rifle import services to assist with the process of getting your guns into RSA. You can do it on your own for sure, but using an assist company will have you out of the SAPS office at the airport in less than 10 minutes. You will be met at the gate by a rep from the assist company that will literally walk you through the process. It is definitely worth the convenience and peace of mind in my opinion.

http://riflepermits.com/regulations/
firehunt fish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #12
sec
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehunt fish View Post
Hello SEC,

Here is a link to the regulations page for importing guns/ammo into South Africa. I also recommend using riflepermits.com or one of many rifle import services to assist with the process of getting your guns into RSA. You can do it on your own for sure, but using an assist company will have you out of the SAPS office at the airport in less than 10 minutes. You will be met at the gate by a rep from the assist company that will literally walk you through the process. It is definitely worth the convenience and peace of mind in my opinion.

http://riflepermits.com/regulations/
I have enlisted Africa Sky to meet and greet, handle the rifle permits and for my over night stay, Dries Visser recommended them.
I think Iíll just get some boxes and place my ammo in those, seems to be the safest course of action.

Thank for all the help.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #13
firehunt fish
Four Point

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have enlisted Africa Sky to meet and greet, handle the rifle permits and for my over night stay, Dries Visser recommended them.
I think Iíll just get some boxes and place my ammo in those, seems to be the safest course of action.

Thank for all the help.
SEC,

Africa Sky is a great choice. They will take good care of you... Dries Visser is also a great choice. They are good folks. We share a back fence with them on one of our concessions.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
sec
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehunt fish View Post
SEC,

Africa Sky is a great choice. They will take good care of you... Dries Visser is also a great choice. They are good folks. We share a back fence with them on one of our concessions.
Thanks for the info!!
I read lots of posts and talked to a few people that have hunted with them and it seems like they are good people. Now I just have to wait on August
Old 01-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #15
sec
Six Point

One other question if you don't mind. Did you have to get any vaccines to go to South Africa?
Old 01-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #16
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:
One other question if you don't mind. Did you have to get any vaccines to go to South Africa?
None required for S. Africa but certainly there are recommendations. I recall Hep A & B, typhoid and flu. May be others. Also have you tetanus up to date and have your doctor prescribe antibiotic for you to bring just in case (cipro etc).
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #17
firehunt fish
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
None required for S. Africa but certainly there are recommendations. I recall Hep A & B, typhoid and flu. May be others. Also have you tetanus up to date and have your doctor prescribe antibiotic for you to bring just in case (cipro etc).
Accurate advice... I would only add to check with your outfitter if you are in high or low risk area for malaria. Most all of the provinces of RSA are relatively low risk especially in the dry winter months of May-September. The greatest risk areas are typically closer to the border with Kruger National Park. However, heavier than normal Fall rains last season had malaria in areas of the Limpopo and North West that usually never see it. Check with your outfitter and evaluate the risk for yourself. If you do decide on taking a prophylactic malarial medication, Malarone is the best overall malarial drug available currently.

Otherwise, as stated by RR 314, no other vaccinations are required, but Hepatitis A & B, and a tetanus booster are a good idea especially if you are going to be traveling around the country outside of the outfitter. It's also a good idea to take a good probiotic starting a couple of weeks before and during your visit. It greatly helps with the body's adjustment to new bacteria and may keep you from getting the traveler's squirts!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:12 AM   #18
sec
Six Point

Thanks
We are staying one night at Africa Sky’s guest house and the rest of the time will be at Dries Visser’s lodge.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #19
Bort
Six Point

I’d ask your doctor about vaccines, malaria medication, etc. I took malaria medication when I went, but I was also going into other malaria prone countries directly afterward visiting South Africa. Be careful with that stuff. Certain kinds of maleria medication can give you some weird dreams and I’ve heard a horror story or two about it it messing with womens’ birth control. Good luck and have fun.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #20
Bort
Six Point

A probiotic is a good idea too. Also, take some pepto tablets just in case!
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #21
tgridley
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hays County

I think I have several empty weatherby boxes if you need them.
tgridley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #22
sec
Six Point

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgridley View Post
I think I have several empty weatherby boxes if you need them.
But I have decided to go ahead and take my 300 WBY MAG and have purchase Nosler 180 gr E-TIPS. My Accumark seams to really like them. 3shot group
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #23
sec
Six Point

Default Plug

Anybody know which type plug this is?
Dries Visser Safari South Africa, I ordered an adapter, but I think itís the wrong one.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2018, 11:16 PM   #24
red-fin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Duval, Concho Counties

Just pass the guy a $10 spot if any issues arise on anything...I am serious...that country thrives on bribes.

Get the vaccines, be safe. Ask DV safaries which ones. We got them and my wife came home with African tick bite fever, she was very sick for a week-10 days. Use bug spray needed or not.

I think I have some adaptors you can have, I will look, when you leave and where you live?
red-fin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2018, 05:43 AM   #25
sec
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-fin View Post
Just pass the guy a $10 spot if any issues arise on anything...I am serious...that country thrives on bribes.

Get the vaccines, be safe. Ask DV safaries which ones. We got them and my wife came home with African tick bite fever, she was very sick for a week-10 days. Use bug spray needed or not.

I think I have some adaptors you can have, I will look, when you leave and where you live?
Aug. 18th
Old 08-03-2018, 07:21 AM   #26
youngbuck1
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX/ND/S.A.

You can take them. Good luck!
youngbuck1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top