Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egyptian wheat

Comment

I plated a row of 40 Leland Cypress trees last year. They were about 12" when I planted them. There about 15' apart from each other. They are only about 16" tall now. But I don't water them like I should, having said that they are pretty hardy little dudes. Only three didn't take. But they were kinda of dis colored when I planted them. I plan on a lot of watering now and some regular miracle grow treatments now that I have water out there.

Comment

Pampas grass? Gets about 10ft wide
        Oleander
        Bamboo grows quick...but spreads

These get my vote also just as other have said.
        I love Cypress tress but they will take a long time to get big enough to make a wall. I would think a couple of rows of Pine would be better and faster growing if you are in acidic soil. I assume this is in a lots of sun area also?

Comment

Thuja green giant

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
            I am looking for a block of trees/plants to cover a hundred yards. I do not want any vines on the fences.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter7801 View Post
              Red tip photinia
              Anyone wanting a quick, tall barrier ^^^^ this is your answer.

Comment

tallow trees

Comment

Lot of guys up north use miscanthus grass. It’s sterile so it doesn’t spread and grows fast. Fairly sure it’ll take where you’re at too.

Comment

Vitex. grows fast and looks great when it blooms

Comment

My folks did the bamboo on their place and it **** sure does the job but like others have stated, it spreads and if it's in a yard where you'll be walking it could be problematic. When you trim it you can wind up with **** punji stakes on the ground and they hurt like hell if you go barefoot.
                      I used Wax Myrtle and it's a clear choice for me. Grows fast, thick and you cant kill the stuff. I also have some Savannah Holly that works great too. Real tall.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                        Hey folks,

I am looking to plant something that will grow fast and act as a visual barrier from the neighbors. Stand alone roughly a hundred yards long. I average 44" of rain a year so it does not have to be drought resistant but as you all know it can get a little hot in central/south Texas. Soil tests will be performed and soil will be amended as necessary.

I just have no clue what to plant. It needs to grow fast and tall.

What would you all suggest?
                        What central or south Texas location gets 44" of rain per year?!?!

Comment

Oleanders are poisonous. stay away from Red Tips;Too many pest and disease issues. Ligustrum, Wax Myrtle, Clumping Type of Bamboos(yes there are types that dont take over the world), one of the many types of Viburnum (Walter's Viburnum is a favorite of mine) and Bottlebrush would work well (just make sure not to get the dwarf), and Leyland Cypress would look great as well...

Comment

Fence

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter7801 View Post
                              Red tip photinia

^^^^ This. I used them to turn a chain link fence into a privacy fence. Really fast growing plant.

Comment

Originally posted by J-DUB View Post
                                tallow trees

great answer but they tend not to be thick enough for a good barrier! I have thousands on my place,, I destroyed a couple yesterday,,, they should be sprouted when I get home today!

Comment

Working...
                                X