Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building: Smart home gadgets must haves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building: Smart home gadgets must haves?

Was wondering what are you all's recommendations for smart home gadgets that are must haves when building a new house......

For now I know that I will be buying a NEST thermostat due to being able to control temp from anywhere using my smart phone....

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
    Was wondering what are you all's recommendations for smart home gadgets that are must haves when building a new house......

For now I know that I will be buying a NEST thermostat due to being able to control temp from anywhere using my smart phone....

Lawn guy, maids, and car detail guy. My wife can adjust the thermostat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post

I forget the name of it, but my AV guy installs a system that operates the entire home a/v and lights via alexa. I do know this lights are lutron. All can be bought at retail stores.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

Done.

Comment

Following

Comment

You are not limited to Nest. We control everything through our ADT app, works great and can also be pulled into Alexa or Google home. Garage doors, AC's, lights, door locks, etc. Everything needs to be z-wave compliant I believe.

Comment

Following as well. My concern is someone hacking your house and causing issues with the AC/Heat, etc.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

Yup, that’ll do it

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                    Following as well. My concern is someone hacking your house and causing issues with the AC/Heat, etc.
                    They have better things to hack! The meme above is accurate; however, if that is a deal breaker you need to find a cell dead zone no electronics, no mail or wired communication and encase your house in a Faraday cage! Basically live like Ted out in the mountains.

I guess even then you would need to figure out satellite and drone flyovers. Bottom line, if you are that important they will find, track, record and likely take you out. For those resources you would need to be a very high value target.

For those of you guys using analog phones thinking that hides anything, those can be listened into with a scanner by anyone. At least our digital phones have to be recorded by more sophisticated means!

I took it a bit far, but it was fun!
                    Last edited by -HIC-; 03-22-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

This should get interesting. Depending on how you want to go, home automation can start to add up REALLLLLY fast.

Comment

Husqvarna robotic lawn mower. They work with Alexa too.

Comment

I'm not that into 'home automation'. By the time I've yelled 'Google, turn off the TV' seventeen times and it finally works, I could have walked five miles in the snow to school and back.

Comment

The only thing I automate is the ac. There are better thermostats than nest. Honeywell or Emerson are both better.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X