Redneck knowledge needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redneck knowledge needed

So I need to change a wheel bearing that is pressed in, the only problem is I don't have a press. So I have a few ideas on how I could try and do this without spending $200.00 on a press, but just wanted to see how some of you on the green screen have managed to press bearing without a press.

Man I typed " press " a lot of times.

do you have a air hammer?

Comment

Last time I did the ones on my wheeler we used a hammer and a flat punch/chisel and worked them out by evenly going around the race forcefully tapping until it comes out. To put the new ones back in we used a big socket just a hair smaller than the outside of the bearing and tapped it in until it seated.

Comment

Something like this.

Amazing deals on this Bearing Separator And Puller Set at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Comment

Is it the outer race that is stuck? If so we sometimes run a welding bead around the inside and it will suck it in just enough to knock it out. I don't do a lot of wheel bearings but lots of pump bearings.

Comment

Outer race? Hammer and punch from backside, use old race to drive new race in.

Comment

Socket that just fits inside the hub and still catch the bearing . Hit the socket with a big hammer being careful not to hit the hand holding the socket. It may take a few swings of the hammer but it should come on out.

Comment

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Call an auto parts store, sometimes they lend or rent out tools.

Comment

Just do like said above with sockets and punches. I have worked on large dozers, tractors hay equipment, trailers plows etc all my life and never had a press. That being said it’s one of the few tools I don’t have but probably need.

My problem is half the stuff I’m always working on won’t fit in a press.

Throw the new race in the freezer if you have time and it will tap right in. Brass hammers or punches are best on new bearings and races. Or a socket that’s tight
                    Last edited by dclifton; 03-14-2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone, some good advise here.

Comment

I’ve never used a press, hammer and a punch. Just work it around.

Comment

I use the socket method. Hold the socket with a pair of channel locks to keep from hitting your fingers

Comment

Socket- And the freezer makes it easy to install

Comment

Or maybe apply the oilfield rule. If the tool doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer.

Comment

Working...
                              X