Hunting Cabin Must Have’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Cabin Must Have’s

The cabin our lease hunters stay in has seen better days. Over the years different groups have done improvements on it, but it is still quite rough. We are in the infant stages of planning a new cabin, and will have a lot of discussions before we decide what we can afford and construct.
    I thought it’d be fun to see what designs y’all think are best, or what “must haves” every hunting cabin needs?? The current cabin is around 600 square feet with three main rooms. We are hoping the existing slab is useable so we can just add to it rather than pouring a completely new slab. We are thinking more along an open concept, one big room to help save on costs. Even though yes I understand it’d be a lot better to have multiple rooms.
    A few things to point out, there is no electricity on the property so it’d have to be wired for a generator. We are thinking of building a metal building, but I guess a ready made cabin isn’t completely out of the question either. Yes there will be a pretty tight budget so we won’t be able to make it a mansion, but hey, any good ideas you have we’ll definitely consider!

A wood stove and a porch to drink beer on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have one big room and I don't care for it because of the excessive snoring members, I have slept in the truck a number of times because of it. We are going to build a bunk room off the back of ours. A covered porch is a definite must, wire it like a regular home so everything is a go once the generator starts. We also have a pretty high ceiling for a one room cabin so I build a loft for storage. Hit up Harbor freight for solar panels and a convertor with a deep cell battery to run led lights in the cooler months so the generator doesn't have to run. Just a few thoughts!

Comment

Bathroom (w/ shower)
        A/C
        shelves, cabinets for storage
        covered patio

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
          A wood stove and a porch to drink beer on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I will add at least 1 door, and a flat spot to put a sleeping pad. Anything beyond that is overkill.

Comment

Most people hate me when they are trying to sleep within the same county as me. I've been told It's like sleeping in Jurassic Park. I'm sure you have some snoring people in your group, separate the sleeping rooms trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
              Most people hate me when they are trying to sleep within the same county as me. I've been told It's like sleeping in Jurassic Park. I'm sure you have some snoring people in your group, separate the sleeping rooms trust me.
              Agreed that would be nice, just not sure I can justify the cost, unless someone has some great ideas on how to do it. I agree it would be great to have individual rooms though.

Comment

For you guys that snore check out snorestop. My friends swears it helps me.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                  For you guys that snore check out snorestop. My friends swears it helps me.
                  For all of the guys that don't try the foam earplugs. I swear buy them.

Comment

An air conditioner, a covered porch to drink beer under when its raining, a fire pit to drink beer around, a big refrigerator to hold lots of beer, and some big trash bins to hold empty beer cans.....I think that about covers it.

Comment

Gun rack and/or bow hooks right inside the main door
                      Coat hooks
                      Lots of hooks in the kitchen for pots/pans/serving spoons,mugs etc
                      Shelves in and around the kitchen area and anywhere else they seem fit
                      Paper towel holder right by the sink in the kitchen window
                      50 gallon trash can, small trash cans at the ranch are a pain
                      AC window unit
                      Wood burning stove
                      Covered porch, the bigger the better
                      Big giant fan hanging from the ceiling and on the porch ceiling if budget allows
                      Exterior lights controlled by a basic remote, set to a timer. Ex: Hit button A and porch lights are on for 45 minutes. Button B and the skinning shed lights come on for 1 hour. Can have several remotes hung on a hook in various locations.
                      If it's not on propane already, rig it to be able to be hooked up to tanks for cooking purposes.

Comment

Toilet paper

Comment

A nice big porch, on the south side. You'll get the southern breeze in the summertime and you'll be out of the north wind.
                          We had the cabin in place for several years before we ever put the porch on it, and we should have done it a lot sooner.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_163902.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	24572808

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                            An air conditioner, a covered porch to drink beer under when its raining, a fire pit to drink beer around, a big refrigerator to hold lots of beer, and some big trash bins to hold empty beer cans.....I think that about covers it.
                            I'm noticing a theme here.

Comment

Well insulated. 4 Good windows. Big covered porch on south with gravel to keep cabin clean.
                              I would consider a folding dining table like a Murphy bed for those nasty days.

Comment

Working...
                              X