Drawn for Inks Lake/Longhorn Cavern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn for Inks Lake/Longhorn Cavern

Has anyone had the opportunity to hunt Inks lake in the past? Any wisdom you could share would be appreciated.

Lots of deer there, bring a big icechest!

Comment

I got drawn at Inks for antlerless deer this year. Have never been this park before. Don't know how they organize the hunt.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by cy100 View Post
          I got drawn at Inks for antlerless deer this year. Have never been this park before. Don't know how they organize the hunt.
          What date are you going?

Comment

12/6-12/8. What is yours?

Comment

Jan 10 - Jan 12

Comment

Tons of deer out there!

Comment

Thanks for you guys' info.
                  Do you guys know how this hunt would be? The brochure said we would hunt at assigned blind. But really no clue what that will be. The success rate in past years is not very high.
                  Map Man, I will give you some updates after my hunt.

Comment

Thanks CY

Comment

I came back from my hunt today.

Overall, it is a great hunt and less efforts. You only hunt in an assigned blind. They will send you in and pick you up. The hunting time is 6-11am and 2pm-dark.

The park ranger and his folks are very friendly and helpful.

The park has plenty cabin with AC available during this time. It is much appreciated esp. in these bitter cold days. I was told there was a restaurant within 3 miles, but I did not try it.

You will hunt in a 4x4 wood ground blind. The blinds are set at selected spots. They want us to shoot as many deer as possible, so the spots supposedly are carefully picked. If the weather is cooperate, you should be able to see deer. The max shoot range is 120 yards, the average is 60. Be sure to bring 1 or 2 bags of qualified corn. If you forget, not a big deal. The park has some for sale. When you go to your blind, be sure to spread corn at anywhere the deer may show up or travel. In my opinion, the corn does not attract deer to come, but stop them on their way. So, give you time to pull the trigger.

There are plenty deer out there. If you were luck as me, your hunt can be completed in the first afternoon. I shot 2 does within 5 minutes in the first afternoon, then, my game is over.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2184.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	24034822

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2196.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	24034823
                      Last edited by cy100; 12-08-2011, 01:10 AM.

Comment

That sounds great I bet you had fun.

Comment

Yes, indeed. I have to mention that Inks Lake is a beautiful park, good facilities and great folks there to help you.

Comment

CY, thanks for the report, I am going on Jan 9th, I can only hope to be as lucky as you were.

Comment

Back from hunt on Inks lake, unfortunatley, the wind was howling the whole time I was there. I did not see any deer outside of the park. In our group of ten hunters, one deer was taken.

For those of you who may be drawn in the future, I would recommend taking a stadium seat that hooks under the front. The blind has two 2x6 boards to form a bench like the old stadium seating with no back rest. The stadium chair would be ideal.

Comment

Working...
                              X