TBH Sam Rayburn Crappie weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krappiekatcher View Post
    I think we will be there that weekend, as a matter of fact I'll be there tomorrow too!

With a name like that you better show up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like fun. I'm planning on being there.

Comment

Well, I need a new fishfinder. My cheapo one crapped out a few yrs ago. But nowadays they sure are expensive and fancy. I dont fish all that much any more so I dont need anything too fancy. Been looking at the Lowrance Hook2 4x Plotter. It looks like it doesnt have maps but can mark and save gps coordinates. Does that sound right? Can I mark a pile then come back to it later with this? See the piles and fish? Its only $120 so Im not expecting much....

I know the higher end ones with maps etc are much nicer but this is going on an old jonboat with a 1997 Mariner 25hp.......

Comment

Gonna book a cabin tomorrow! Love crappie fishing.

Comment

Man, I'd LOVE to join in on this trip! Sounds like my kind of weekend... trouble for me is i'll be puttin' a smack-down on speckeled trout n redfish at the Chandeleur's...

I grew up on Rayburn... used to hunt that river bottom before it was even a lake... from Etoile to Broaddus is probably the fishiest stretch of water on any lake in the south this side of the Rio Grande! What I never understood is where all those fish came from! Back in about 1969 when all the timber had died, you could go to somewhere like the Moore farm or Lowery fields and just shut your eyes and cast a chrome Cotton Cordelle hot spot with a blue or black back and catch green trout until you wore smooth out. With a pink or white maribou jig, you could do the same thing with "white perch", with shad, perch or stink bait, you could do the same thing with catfish... channels, blues or ops... beat anything I ever saw. When the timber was still green, there were more ducks than I have ever seen anywhere! You could shoot ducks, squirrels on the same morning hunt from the same spot, and you always had to keep a slug or load of buckshot handy too because the deer would hit the lake to get away from the guys runnin' 'em with dogs...

Y'all have a great time folks! I'll be thinkin' bout you!

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
              Gonna book a cabin tomorrow! Love crappie fishing.
              Well.... I went ahead and booked the log cabin for June 1st and 2nd. Didnt see an $80 per night. Got it for $110.

Comment

I’m gonna do my best to make it! Sounds like a real good time!

Comment

Sounds like fun...I might get in on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
                    Well.... I went ahead and booked the log cabin for June 1st and 2nd. Didnt see an $80 per night. Got it for $110.

I think you booked at Jackson Hill cabins. We’re staying at Jackson Hill marina. All in close proximity.

Comment

That sounds like a h3ll of a time! I'm not much good at crappie fishing (never really tried) but I do know a thing or two about running some trot lines if anybody is down for that.

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
                        I think you booked at Jackson Hill cabins. We’re staying at Jackson Hill marina. All in close proximity.

I did. Oh well I will keep the reservations.

I am pretty stoked about this trip. Never fished this area before except in January when the crappie are stacked up in 30’ of water.

Comment

Well I will try to make it if I'm off that weekend.
                          Been fishing rayburn since I was old enough to walk and I'm 43 years old. Always prefer the north end around Jackson Hill.

I will throw my few tips out for any interested. I'm not as dedicated a Slew to the crappie and split time between them and bass.

1/16 chartreuse lead head
                          Ice blue puddle jumper style baits. It's a cloudy white with blue metal flake. Think some call it milk money.
                          White and chartreuse tail big bite baits slab tube.
                          20-30 feet down look for brush on points and creek edges. Some people will put a white jug on top of brush piles to make it look like someone's trotline. So if you see a single jug idle by and check for brush. 147 bridge is always a hot spot year around for crappie.

Comment

So, who's bring-n the 3-basket Cajun Fryer?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              So, who's bring-n the 3-basket Cajun Fryer?

I've got a 2 basket one I can bring and several pans etc to put fish in. Will bring some batter bowls and fish fry as well.

Comment

If y'all got room for a trout guy I'm gonna try and be there. My lease is not far, off 103 by Etoile. Across the 147 bridge towards Zavalla is Shady Acres RV Park, that have cabins for rent for around $70 a night. Jane's good people, I used to keep a RV there. If you need a place to stay you might give her a call, 936-897-2962. I'll have my boat and if none of my lease buddies can make it I'll have room for a passenger or two.

Comment

Working...
                                X