No announcement yet.

Hot Shot hauling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is money to be made there but have some funds put back for repairs, tires etc. as stated you will need liability insurance, depending on weight limits you will be hauling and types of products. Info on running under your own authority, cargo insurance, etc etc. Put a grand away at least a month for repairs and the unknown because they will happen. Best advice run don’t walk away from it.

Comment

So far from what Im reading online staying under 26k lbs is the key to staying away from alot of the regs and extra headaches.

Comment

What about renting roll offs?
        I know here in the oilfield there a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
          So far from what Im reading online staying under 26k lbs is the key to staying away from alot of the regs and extra headaches.
          That is true. However, a lot of people can haul under 26k so there is less need in my opinion. For instance, we only pay trucking if we need to be over 26k since we aren't DOT.

Comment

You can stay under 26k gvcw only if you stay in Texas....Once you cross state lines it drops to 10k and you fall under Interstate rules instead of Intrastate...I hot shotted for about 8 years....If you need help with finding the companies to do and file your paperwork let me know....

Comment

What a mess. No way I would do it. People paying late or not paying, getting fat driving a truck, boring job, on the road all the time.

There is a reason people drive trucks for a living

Comment

I hire hotshots and big trucks for oilfield hauling daily. In my experience it is cheaper to hire a big truck to haul your smaller loads than to hire a shot shot. I use hotshots if the price is right and or available but they usually want more than big trucks. Also big trucks are more readily available. I know some hotshots who stay busy but they are usually loaded and on the road when I need them. The freight market is very strong right now so depending on what industry you are targeting you could make killing.

Comment

See post #1 http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=689741

Comment

I haul but I run an 18 wheeler for a major shipper, not hot shot. I use a company truck gas etc, it will break it will all break. I've been w my company 20yrs but like I said I'm just an employee when it comes to it. 3 guys I know personally have gone bust trying to hot shot

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyman View Post
                      You can stay under 26k gvcw only if you stay in Texas....Once you cross state lines it drops to 10k and you fall under Interstate rules instead of Intrastate...I hot shotted for about 8 years....If you need help with finding the companies to do and file your paperwork let me know....
                      Yep staying in TX and central Tx if possible.

Not looking to go out of state or move to the oil patch.

Comment

The husband of my wife's best friend just got started in it and she says he can stay as busy as he wants to be in North Texas.

Comment

Not quite hot shotting but man, what my employer pays a year for hauling medical stuff is crazy. They are paying $500k a year for the contract that hauls coolers back and forth. They do the occasional equipment that could be loaded into a van. When I saw what we were paying, I thought I was in the wrong business. My company finally got smart and did the financials and found they can replace them with 5 lower paid drivers and 4 vans and a single box truck and save $350k a year.

Comment

I would try a flatbed truck first and grow into a larger truck or trailer. I am in the commercial truck tire business and have hotshot customers. Some have been around the full 5 years I have been in the business but a lot come & go

Comment

Yep staying in TX and central Tx if possible.

Not looking to go out of state or move to the oil patch.

Plenty of work hauling construction materials but they will be heavier loads that are harder to tie down as compared to oil patch hauling. But oil patch hauling can involve more long rough dirt roads that are hard on your rig.

Comment

Had a couple of kids deliver a cabin to my place this week. Not sure how much money they made off of it but it did restore my faith in today's youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X