Will a single pin sight help with...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will a single pin sight help with...

I have a mental issue of wanting to make a deer farther out than it really is and I have created a bad habit of shooting over them. For instance, the deer may be at 20 yards and I want to put him at 30 yards and use my 30 yard pin. I have a four pins set at 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. I am thinking of going to a single pin to maybe force myself to break this habit.

Does anyone else have this issue or thoughts on the single pin sight to help?

Thanks for your input.

Range everything where you hunt beforehand and then you'll know how how far they are. Not sure a single pin will help, though I do prefer a single pin.

Comment

Practice shooting from those distances from your set up and range your area with something. I put different color flagging out for 20-60 yards all around me. That way in case I don't have time to pull my rangefinder I know the yardage.

Comment

Changing sights will not help with your yardage judging. You can always take your other pins out of your sight and see if it changes anything.

Range everything. Even when just walking around. Take a walk in a park with your rangefinder. Judge an object, then hit it with the rangefinder to see how close you were. This will teach your mind to understand the sizes of things at different ranges.

Cheat sheets never hurt either. Range objects from your stand and draw a picture of them when waiting for animals to show. Put it where you can see it, and when something comes in you will just have to glance at your picture and know where everything is.

Comment

I have a Single Pin Trueglow. It's marked in yardage increments.
          Just like the other poster said, Wouldn't you mark out yardage with different objects in your field of fire ahead of time?

I just thought that was part of Blind/Stand setup.

Comment

Yup, I know the yardage exactly, but when it's time to shoot, I second guess myself and go with the next pin. That's why I'm thinking a single pin will help because there won't be other pins for me to decide to use.

I do spend lots of time practicing, from 10 to 50 yards. This year I think I need to just spend some time in each of my blinds and shoot a bunch of targets at varying distances, etc.

Comment

Trust yourself. Stop second guessing. Shoot what you see and stop thinking so much. Doesnt matter if you have a 5 pin, 3 pin, single pin or shooting a recurve--if you dont trust what you see, you will miss. Range everything before hand and stick with it. Trust Yourself.

Comment

Heck I'll come sit with you and shoot the deer if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by awatsonjr View Post
                  Heck I'll come sit with you and shoot the deer if you like.
                  You can come and sit next to me and softly whisper "Wrong pin, dumb***" if you want...

Comment

I only put corn out to about 22yds, if the deer aint on corn I aint chootin!

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                      I only put corn out to about 22yds, if the deer aint on corn I aint chootin!
                      I like it, will try that.

Comment

Working...
                      X