back from keith johns....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back from keith johns....

well i am back, i will say up front my cooler came back empty, but not because of anyones fault but my own, i did not see any axis while on stand the bucks are about nocternal .i got to set on stand four times as this was a two day hunt for me, the first day, i had a group of small hogs come to the feeder and i shot a small one ,bout 35 lbs (i ended up giving it to some arriving hunters to cook).the other two sittings just had a group of very pesty corn stealing spanish goats and a donkey....yes donkey...come in, they ate all the corn in about two minuutes when the feeders would go off.the feeders are set to go off once in the morning and once in the evening., but i will be staight, with the new browse, they are just not eating the corn too much. keith is a great guy and one of the most honest fellas you will meet,we gelled right off the bat!! i saw a good group of rams that had some bruiser corsicans so you guys hunting rams are in for some good hunting, keith does not allow stalking on the ranch, but the rams seem to make there rounds to the feeders in hopes the goats dont eat it all.on my last evening , i was fortunate to have 20 inch black buck chase a doe by at 18 yards, he stopped quartering away and i missed him by hair, but a hair is too much! keith has good prices, and he is able to keep them low because he brings in his own animals or traps from other ranches.i had a great time, with keith and meeting some new people, i am a little frustrated,that i did not see a whole lot of animals that i have seen in other ranches, but the weather, the browse and the short duration of my hunt played a part. i think my next trip will be too hunts ranch next spring and we will try again....if anymore needs more details please email or pm me....p.s.i do not recommend flying down anymore it was a pain in the @%*!@.

Thanks for the update Keith is a great guy I look forward to going back.

Comment

Yep Keith is on heck of a good guy & he Has the animals.

Sorry to hear about the miss, but it happens.

Comment

what stand did you sit at.

Hitman you going in may

Comment

Thanks for the report. I've heard nothing but good things about Keith.

Trailboss

Comment

Where is Keith Johns located @? Website?

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
              Where is Keith Johns located @? Website?

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Questions about your hunt

did you get a chance at any pigs and how was the size and horns on the goats?
                  Any tips things i should bring?
                  what seemed to be the range for most of the shots?
                  Any varmits or other critters of interest?
                  Anything you can tell me would be appreciated?
                  Thanks
                  Mike
                  jmm83164 on yahoo

Comment

Originally posted by jmm83164 View Post
                    did you get a chance at any pigs and how was the size and horns on the goats?
                    Any tips things i should bring?
                    what seemed to be the range for most of the shots?
                    Any varmits or other critters of interest?
                    Anything you can tell me would be appreciated?
                    Thanks
                    Mike
                    jmm83164 on yahoo
                    the shots were 20 yards and under.the only run in i had witha varmint was a armidillo and a 6 foot diamondback, lots of snakes be careful!! the spanish goats were nice ones and there were some good corsican rams there. only saw pigs once, they were small, i think he told me he had around 75 hogs or so on the place.how many days are you hunting? i just did two days and its really not long enough, a man really needs at least four.he has bowhunter friendly ground blinds but they get HOT!and he has good tree stands. He is talking about removing all the rams and goats to a isolated pasture to keep them away from the exotic species, they really screw the exotic hunting, they steal all the corn and the exotics, just dont seem to tolerate them. you will have fun, and see game, but listen to keith he knows where to put you and he really does want you to be successful and have fun, heck he was ready to throw up right beside me when i missed my blackbuck. i hope that helps? also are you flying down? that was the sucky part of my trip, so much hassle!!

Bill

Comment

Whats the hassle with flying

Yes I am flying down,what caused the problems and what I do to avoid them.
                      Where did you fly out of?
                      Im not sure where you live in NC but Im just across the state line in Virginia Beach maybe could work out a local hunt or something
                      I would appreciate a call if you could I have a few more questions for you?
                      Or anyone who has hunted kjo recently?
                      Thanks
                      Mike
                      757-961-0292
                      anytime weekends after 5 and before 10 weekdays

Comment

jmm when are you headed to KJO? A few of us will be there may 16,17,18

Comment

My trip

L'll be there a week ahead of you Im going the weekend of the 10th.
                          cant wait .There is going to be another guy from the group there when im there I think his Tag is texasbowman.
                          Will give a full report when I get back and post pics asap.
                          Mike

Comment

Sorry no antlers or horn I know what you mean about the green. Its hard to compete with .About as bad as liveoak acorns on opening weekend.

Comment

jmm83164 - it will be me and KCG and another guy from Amarillo - are you getting a rental car in SA or what? We are heading down early friday morning and leaving sunday at noon - depending on your flight times if you want we can swing by the airport and pick ya up - save you some money on a rental.

Comment

Working...
                              X